Cut red tape..namely, the unwanted ASIC

quentas

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now there's an idea, just have a requirement to carry your passport as ID if requested?

That's what the Australia Card was going to do.

Anybody remember that?

I think it got voted down as being too much "Big Brother".

The CIA/NSA/ASIO probably have all you info though. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Yes, we all know it's a joke. But step back and look at it from the other side of the airport fence. Next time you go to a major airport flying RPT, strike up a conversation with your fellow passengers about airport security (without telling them you are a pilot). You'll soon find that the average punter is somewhat nervous about airports and flying. They PERCEIVE that airport security and checks on all pilots and staff are a "Good Thing" because they think it will keep them safer in the air. The average politician probably thinks that way too.

Until we change those perceptions politicians and the general public are not going to care one bit if it costs a few pilots $160-180 and half an hour's paperwork every two years. That argument is not going to wash with them, nor is signing internet petitions. We need to come up with rational arguments, with reasons why it is a burden for Australia and the economy, and examples of hardship caused. Unfortunately I haven't been able to think of any yet.

I wouldn't make too big a deal out of no one bothering to check ASICs either. Once word of that gets to the right ears we will have a directive coming down from above for airport security to be tightened even further. That's the last thing we want...more self-important security nazis roaming airports!

And would someone please tell me, why would you give a **** whether or not I plan on visiting a farm in the next 15 days? In the unlikely event I ever got the urge to do something weird to a sheep or a horse, believe you me, I'd sure as hell not want to tell anyone!

Great post! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

I know its a joke, but as a farmer I can answer the farm visit thing. Many very nasty animal diseases, some of which we don't have in Oz or in NZ, can hide in the soil. Anthrax is a good example. Its spores can live dormant in the soil for decades.

The most likely place for you to find these infected soils is on a farm. A tiny bit of soil left on your shoes after a visit to a farm in another country could cause an epidemic that could decimate agriculture in you own country. We really, really need to know if you might have contaminated soil on your shoes or clothes.

• Agree 5

I go in and out of major RPT airports every single day at work for my day job.

Whilst in full uniform, with the ASIC prominently displayed:

I've been frisked.

I've had to do repeat walks through the metal detector to the absurd point of walking back and forth through it until it finally didn't go off.

I've had my wheelie bag opened, searched, and closed after they found absolutely nothing of interest, resulting in a 9 minute delay to the flight departure (doesn't sound like much, but to a major airline, that can cause a stink and it did in this case).

I've had my wheelie bag opened to inspect a foldaway umbrella. I ask "Why are you interested in that? It's been in my bag for 7 years!" He says "because an umbrella might be used to hide something which will allow you to get into the flight deck, sir." I respond "So where in the hell do you think I'm going now? Do you think I'm in fancy dress?" (that didn't amuse them)

Not once, ever, has anyone actually stopped to check my ASIC, even to the point of staff opening the aerobridge doors so I don't have to bother swiping it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Yanks don't have an equivalent to the ASIC. Much as I dislike the Yanks I have to agree that their FAA is far better than our CASA and their pollies seem to be better than ours, although that is no recommendation.

• Caution 1

For what it's worth, I believe if you hold a current pilots licence and are in the GA area of an airport, you shouldn't need an ASIC. I have made my views known within the Federal Parliament. It's a good idea to write to your local Federal member of Parliament.

Have not got it...will not be getting it and do not fly into airports that require it, but feel rather sorry for you lot that have to pay hard earned cash for something not worth the money.

Regards from the 'Vippy Flyer'

Ron Dunn

• Like 1

I go in and out of major RPT airports every single day at work for my day job.Whilst in full uniform, with the ASIC prominently displayed:

I've been frisked.

I've had to do repeat walks through the metal detector to the absurd point of walking back and forth through it until it finally didn't go off.

I've had my wheelie bag opened, searched, and closed after they found absolutely nothing of interest, resulting in a 9 minute delay to the flight departure (doesn't sound like much, but to a major airline, that can cause a stink and it did in this case).

I've had my wheelie bag opened to inspect a foldaway umbrella. I ask "Why are you interested in that? It's been in my bag for 7 years!" He says "because an umbrella might be used to hide something which will allow you to get into the flight deck, sir." I respond "So where in the hell do you think I'm going now? Do you think I'm in fancy dress?" (that didn't amuse them)

Not once, ever, has anyone actually stopped to check my ASIC, even to the point of staff opening the aerobridge doors so I don't have to bother swiping it!

An engineer in CASA ESB once told me "well, you can't trust pilots, you know"... how do you guys live with yourselves? (as a rec pilot only, I choose not to trust myself with small things like beer.... I mean, icecream...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Have not got it...will not be getting it and do not fly into airports that require it, but feel rather sorry for you lot that have to pay hard earned cash for something not worth the money.Regards from the 'Vippy Flyer'

Ron Dunn

Ron, I fly a T-83 mostly, which will not penetrate plate glass; but that transonic monstrosity of yours represents a danger to skyscrapers everywhere... don't you think that, perhaps, you owe it to the nation, to get an ASIC?

• Haha 4

To kgwilson what an awesome post!

The best post I have ever read on any forum...anywhere. Reminds me of how a dedicated staffer at the once named RTA would not give me an engine number as apparently it was a breach of privacy...wtf?

I explained that I was not looking to hurt the engine, find out where the engine lived or harass the poor engine in any way. I only needed to confirm whether it was the original motor in the old car I had bought. No dice and left me incredibly frustrated!

The levels of bureaucracy we have to contend with in this country is just plain stupid. Governments are supposed to make our lives easier by helping us NOT hindering our daily activities.

I had an ASIC a few years ago but after a threatening letter from the boffins at CASA informing me that my card was soon to expire and that I faced imprisonment and fines if I was in possession of an expired ASIC, I returned it with my own strongly worded letter.

I too have had a passport since the 70s and pay my taxes on time every time. The current ASIC and all it entails is just a grab for cash and has no bearing on our security as aviators. Having flown in the States with friends in their GA aircraft and spoken to folks in the FAA and AOPA there, we're worlds apart, we really are.

Does CASA mean safe sky's for all by keeping us on the ground filling out forms in triplicate? I guess so.

I have no intention of obtaining another ASIC and will enjoy flying with my RA certificate to friendly airstrips around OZ where an ASIC is not required. Just as it should be.

• Winner 1

People - can we just pause here and inject a little reality?

CASA did not just suddenly decide that an ASIC card was a good idea. This was a Federal Government decision, from the top: a direct result of John Howard being in Washington when the 9/11 planes hit the WTC. That is not a politically-biased comment - it's bloody FACT - check when they became necessary for confirmation. The ASIC is just one manifestation of a 'security overlordship' mentality that is part of the baggage of Federal governments; it would take a PHD paper to explain it and you need to go back to at least Arthur Tange (aka Cur Arthur Tange) to even begin to comprehend where it was gestated in this country. You can discern the threads back to Machiavelli.

As much as I personally think CASA is fairly close to the Devil incarnate in terms of its black hand on aviation, you have the wrong target in relation to the ASIC. CASA is just the paper-shuffling authority designated to implement Federal Government policy here. In fact, CASA's legislative mandate if questioned with forensic exactitude would, I suspect, show it does not even HAVE the power to require ASIC. A Constitutional challenge would very probably result in overturning the CASA authority for the administration of ASIC.

Don't target CASA for the realignment of the ASIC card requirement to something approaching sensible - target the Federal Government. Target the Minister for Transport. Target the bloody Prime Minister, the Attorney-General.

The ASIC is complete bullshit in a society where anybody with the appropriate skills - let alone licence - can drive a B-double full of petrol into the middle of a CBD and explode it vs. a 600 kg MTOW full of petrol aircraft flying into the side of a building, FFS. With the greatest malice in the world, the use of an RAA-class aircraft just CANNOT inflict the sort of damage that other mediums that are completely unregulated can achieve. Aviation is being touted by a completely unscrupulous Government as a potential danger at a level that is patently ridiculous, simply because it was the medium for the to-date worst attack. And let's not forget: the ASIC card requirement would NOT have negated the 9/11 attack situation. The ASIC is simply a symbolic measure designed to alleviate the fears of a gullible public that aviation activities threaten their lives.

People: we as RAA-class aviators are being held out to dry by the whole ASIC thing. However, redress is not by attacking CASA but by exposing the venality and stupidity of the Government. Let's get the correct target and concentrate on it.

• Agree 6
  • Winner 2

"for the, to date ,worst attack" You jest? You do the people of Nanjing , London, Hamburg, Stalingrad et al. a gross injustice by a factor of 10 to 100....... Maybe, the, to date, worst televised attack ? Otherwise I give your post a huge "agree"

Absolutely - but in every case you cite, the attackers were not terrorists, but legitimate governments engaging in war (or national commercial advantage, which is just one degree removed..). The combatants would NOT have been issued with an ASIC by the attackee government, at any price.

Well, they were a very large, uniformed body of terrorists operating under the guise of a national strategic objective, if not under the 'legitimacy' of a declaration of war. I doubt we would see such a force of RAA pilots assembled, at least without the sponsorship of Clive Palmer AND Gina Rinehart. Not even for Natfly.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Well, they were a very large, uniformed body of terrorists operating under the guise of a national strategic objective, if not under the 'legitimacy' of a declaration of war. I doubt we would see such a force of RAA pilots assembled, at least without the sponsorship of Clive Palmer AND Gina Rinehart. Not even for Natfly.

No, we couldn't agree on a uniform... insane.gif.b56be3c4390e84bce5e5e6bf4f69a458.gif

I fail to see how the ASIC card would have prevented theft from a parked aircraft. Any self-respecting thief would not have one on principle, and would steal from a place that required one.

Personally, I have never applied for an ASIC card and so I have to avoid going to some places. I take this as part of the deterioration of society and worse is to come.

I agree there are some great postings here. I hope letters saying these things are being sent to the ministers concerned. Not that they will get far past the clerk who opens the mail, but its better than staying silent.

Bruce

• Agree 1