General Manager Resigns

DonRamsay

It isn't very comforting to find we still can't keep people in key positions

Why push that BS line after things have been explained as carefully and sensitively as possible?

Please do some more reading or networking because the last thing the Association needs right now is a bunch of Don Qixotes going off half cocked in the wrong direction just as some light is appearing at the end of the tunnel.

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Winner 1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David..That may be because they have sacked a lot of workers, and cut costs, and a temporary rise in share value makes the move a good one for them, because their "package" has clauses that tie the Remuneration to share value. This has an acknowledged adverse effect on the company's performance longer term. Not really applicable to "our" situation but may produce the statistic you describe. Nev

Exactly Nev, in the most common of corporate cases, they turn up, cut costs out of the business, get the bottom line looking good, collect their bonus and bugga off before the impact of their cost cutting ultimately bites the bottom line.

Classic competing and conflicting KPIs. That is what happens when businesses are run and managed (note my choice of words) by bean counters who don't have an understanding of which costs bring indirect benefits until they cut them and then down the track wonder what the hell went wrong.

• Agree 3

I have a particular view that in most cases bean counters should advise businesses not run them. But in this day where everything in business is about short term margin sometimes at the cost of long term sustainability, bean counters often lack the survival skills of those who understand what the business is all about. Dont get me wrong ... no margin ... no survive, but there is a world of understanding in between. A good bean counter who works with the team and tries to understand and consults is worth their weight in Gold.

Exactly Nev, in the most common of corporate cases, they turn up, cut costs out of the business, get the bottom line looking good, collect their bonus and bugga off before the impact of their cost cutting ultimately bites the bottom line.Classic competing and conflicting KPIs. That is what happens when businesses are run and managed (note my choice of words) by bean counters who don't have an understanding of which costs bring indirect benefits until they cut them and then down the track wonder what the hell went wrong.

Found that funny as heck David. You are on the otherside of Oz but have a 100% accurate insight into the company I work for and why it is going broke!!!!

• Like 1

If you reckon a company has underutilised people/equipment and sell it off/ give packages to retire people you look like an idiot when later the market grows and you have to rehire and re equip. If the equipment is obsolete it should have gone anyhow if the business has potential to grow. Dirty tricks like getting rid of staff before they accrue Long service or go onto a formula Pension scheme make financial sense . I wonder about the ethics of it. Whoops I have just brought up something that doesn't count. How silly of me.. Still if there aren't many out there doing it OK, don't be surprised if YOUR business doesn't have much success, Gerry Harvey..etc Nev

A is the contractor company and B is the company offering the the job.Example A is ABC Pty Ltd and B is QGC (as an example)

A service contract where A doesn't want his key staff being poached by B who is trying to bring the outsourced service back in-house OR where B realises it is getting screwed by A and wants to be in a much better "informed client" position. B is typically in the same position as the government, where urged on by the urgers, having sacked all its technical and professional staff ends up in a very weak position when negotiating because they have become totally clueless. Empowering B by allowing them to poach staff would not be in the interests of A.

But enough of this as it doesn't relate to the GM's employment contract.

Mark came to this position when RAA was in a very parlous situation and which ad lost its way. I doubt that anyone inside RAA at the time Mark was engaged could adequately paint a picture of RAA, present or future, with much comprehension. Not the fault of any one person but the result of the board having no clear vision of the future of RAA or what RAA was doing because everyone assumed someone else was doing something, and, as became obvious, no-one seemed to be doing anything.

Thank you Mark for being here and putting in a lot of hard work with much insight and with an eye on RAA's future.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Why push that BS line after things have been explained as carefully and sensitively as possible?.

I will reply with rather more courtesy than you display.

I suggest you count the turnover in tech, ops and general manager positions over the last few years.

If you think it is satisfactory, I will leave you with your delusions.

As for the particular reason for any one departure, that is not necessarily relevant.

What is relevant is retaining good people long enough for them to be effective.

dodo

• Agree 1