Daily Insp in log book now

Garry Morgan

It looks like a lot of blokes are hunting through the RAA manual searching for reasons not to fly.........I read (in the same manual) that the conditions for flight for RAA pilots shall never be more onerous than for GA pilots.....A thorough inspection of the aircraft before first flight is for the health and safety of the pilot flying it. Maybe some people want to record oil uptake, Me personally, I just use that 10 tetrabyte thing in my head and record it there... I don't need to document it. ( even if I needed to add oil, which I dont) OK, when you land ( safely) write the hours on your maintenance sheet if you want. I personally don't do hundred hourly's as such. I check everything, always. More like 20 hourly's.....Just keep a record of oil changes...We do not need to add more paperwork that we can carry... We are Not GA aircraft... OK for "Hire and Reward" is another kettle of fish...... Let responsible people do responsible flying....

• Like 2

I can understand the need to record it if used for hire or reward, when I did my training we always checked the mr and signed that we had done the di. But for personal use I don't see a benefit at all, what I mean is I always do a daily before first flight as I expect us all to do but what does signing the book prove?

the conditions for flight for RAA pilots shall never be more onerous than for GA pilots......

AHHH yes so I won't have to put underwing numbers on my plane, that is a relief!

It would be easier if I drilled the rivets out where the big numbers go wouldn't it?

Per the regulations ....

and the draft Part 91 flight ops rules, coming soon which will apply to all, will be even more onerous with a technical log to accompany the aeroplane.

....... but what does signing the book prove?

it simply proves you signed the book, the assumption however, is that you were competent to carry out the daily inspection and that in fact you did. If we flippantly discredit the authenticity of signed logbooks and maintenance sheets, what does that say about our industry. If we can't have significant credibility in signed of documents (which are essentially declarations) what can we rely on ......
  • Agree 3

it simply proves you signed the book, the assumption however, is that you were competent to carry out the daily inspection and that in fact you did. If we flippantly discredit the authenticity of signed logbooks and maintenance sheets, what does that say about our industry. If we can't have significant credibility in signed of documents (which are essentially declarations) what can we rely on ......

David I am not arguing about the maintence log at all I think that they are a very valuable resource hence the reason it is not kept in the plane and is kept safe, what I am saying is signing for a daily inspection seems to me to be a waste of time and paper as if I am flying then that should automatically be a declaration that I have completed the daily inspection.

Signing the di in no way at all affects/benefits someone's competence in doing the di.

To look at it from a different perspective if I was to have an accident and it was obvious that I had missed something in the di that signed piece of paper would mean diddly squat.

If the aircraft is used for hire or reward then I can understand needing the paper trail but if it is for all of us then I think we should be trying to get that changed.

Maybe I am missing an obvious benefit but I can't see one yet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Do we need to sign that we used the checklist too?. You operate in conformity with the POH and the rules of the organisation and any other rule you should operate under. IF you don't do the right thing, normally.( It won't prevent someone leaving a fuel or oil cap loose or off.). Signing some form won't make much difference. It's just another distraction and nuisance to slow up the operation and detracts from good airmanship.. You wouldn't have to think much about what would be more important. Just about everything else you do to get the plane ready to fly.. Nev

The only use I can think of is nailing you if you forgot to sign it.

PS.. Some of my army training is returning. We had forms for everything. I once got a form titled "Late recognition of form zxy Ref Recognition of 10 years service" There was a form recognising that THEY had forgotten to use the correct form in a timely fashion. The future is back there!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

..... The only use I can think of is nailing you if you forgot to sign it.

Exactly, that is the reason for the regulation and RAA is not exempt. GA would be much better if we implemented the same operational regs as in the USA, in my opinion.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...