Radio/Intercom Recommendations

I have a MicroAir 760 radio, and an accompanying Microair Intercom. I can't get both the radio and the intercom to work satisfactorily at the same time (either good raio, barely usable Intercom, or vice versa).

After much stuffing around, the best solution appears to be to replace it with a single radio/intercom.r

Cost isn't the highest priority - the priorities are:

1 Quality - reliable and effective radio and intercom

2 Reliability and maintainability;

3 After those two, something that fits the existing Microair panel mount would be nice but not essential

4 Cost comes along way fourth.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to brands or models?

dodo

PS Aircraft is 24-registered, but I will get the necessary approvals for whatever I acquire.

This new radio from Garmin is now standard in RV-12 kits, replacing the previous SL-40 and Flightcom 403 intercom. It has an in-built intercom, which by all accounts is outstanding. Very good price too.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the-air/avionics-safety/nav-comm/gtr-200/prod140495.html

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/st/harness/garmin_gtr200.php

rgmwa

I have swapped my MicroAir 760 transceiver over to a Funkwerk ATR833-OLED radio-intercom and added a Funkwerk TRT800H-OLED Mode-S transponder-encoder. The radio has a built in intercom but I kept the PS ENGINEERING PM500EX intercom unit.

http://www.funkeavionics.de/17.html

It works great and is easy to use with both the transceiver and transponder using similar user interface. The transceiver also has memories that you can program with actual descriptions which makes it easy to switch between frequencies. They fit in a standard 2.25" instrument panel hole. The OLED lighting is very clear and is very easy to read.

The Funkwerk transceiver and transponder are vastly superior quality to the MicroAir units. Great german engineering. If you hunt around I got mine at a great price locally.

I have swapped my MicroAir 760 transceiver over to a Funkwerk ATR833-OLED radio-intercom and added a Funkwerk TRT800H-OLED Mode-S transponder-encoder. The radio has a built in intercom but I kept the PS ENGINEERING PM500EX intercom unit.http://www.funkeavionics.de/17.html

It works great and is easy to use with both the transceiver and transponder using similar user interface. The transceiver also has memories that you can program with actual descriptions which makes it easy to switch between frequencies. They fit in a standard 2.25" instrument panel hole. The OLED lighting is very clear and is very easy to read.

The Funkwerk transceiver and transponder are vastly superior quality to the MicroAir units. Great german engineering. If you hunt around I got mine at a great price locally.

Just had a quick look at their website & as I suspected Funkwerk has evolved from Filser. We had a Filser radio in our first Sportstar and it was excellent. Vastly superior to the Icom we have in the Skylark. The Garmin SL40 in our current Sportstar is very good too.

I have a MicroAir 760 radio, and an accompanying Microair Intercom. I can't get both the radio and the intercom to work satisfactorily at the same time (either good raio, barely usable Intercom, or vice versa). After much stuffing around, the best solution appears to be to replace it with a single radio/intercom.r

Cost isn't the highest priority - the priorities are:

1 Quality - reliable and effective radio and intercom

2 Reliability and maintainability;

3 After those two, something that fits the existing Microair panel mount would be nice but not essential

4 Cost comes along way fourth.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to brands or models?

dodo

PS Aircraft is 24-registered, but I will get the necessary approvals for whatever I acquire.

I have a Q revision Microair and can't fault it. Is yours and older model that can be upgraded?

Guest Maj Millard

Microair 760 with Sigtronics SP400 intercom box....and two el cheapo Xxom headsets......always worked perfect.....

Beauty of the Sigtronics box is they have a great website where you can download all the wiring diagrams to go with any radio.........Maj....

After trying three different intercoms in my Drifter, I've ended up with a PS Engineering PM-1200. It is the best I've used by far, the auto squelch works well with their vox, but what I do like, is that it has a selectable ptt function on ics, also when transmitting, it only opens the mic in use, which makes my radio so much clearer when I'm not transmitting back seat wind noise. for those inclined to do so, it has a music input as well. This is the first intercom I've used that I need to turn down in the drifter. That said, I've got a spare Sigtronics SAS400, that would probably work well if your cockpit isn't so noisey.

• Agree 1

Have been very happy with the Icom 210 would recommend you take a look [even with the unusual front face ribbon attachment] cheers

The Icom IC-A210 is not being sold at the moment and neither are any Icom air band radios including handhelds. There are a few issues with the ACMA and CASA after some regulations were changed and Icom are working through them with both govt departments