1970 Earth day scientific predictions

Gnarly Gnu

Did Pyne achieve anything by going?

Probably 90% of trips aren't a requirement anymore due to current communication technologies where one can sit across the table from a life size video monitor and get everything sorted out, but he did go and so would you in the same position, eg; "Hey Honey, wanna nick over to London and Rome for a few days?" ..

There was an official reason to go so your point is moot, what is being discussed is what some might see as abnormal costing of the trip.I haven't voted Liberal or Labour for 20 years or so so I'm doing my part. And I don't not vote them just out of spite, I voted Liberal in 1996 for example, I do follow what their policies would do, or not, for the country.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to learn a bit about how taxes work. The carbon tax was a model of how to zero sum a tax but push the economy into new technologies and create new jobs.

The way taxes should work, or the way you think they should work, I think we're on different sides of the fence. I'm a believer in equal tax rates for all, not bleed the wealthy to feed the lazy.

• Agree 6

I'm a believer in equal tax rates for all, not bleed the wealthy to feed the lazy.

Indeed, it's always puzzled me why someone who has the balls to risk his lot creating employment and social economy along the way being should be punished for it.

• Agree 1

Sadly, you could chose to donate $200-300 a week to charity but you don't chill_out.gif.cee4903a35751abb602feb480645ccbb.gif You don't even believe your own argument.

I already donate a significant amount to charity.....my tax assessment said I gave almost $10k to welfare this year.

Think yourselves lucky. I worked for 45 years and was forced to retire four years ago with $30K in super, because compulsory super at 3% did not come in until I was 45, and when I was 52 I was retrenched after my employer, a bank, was swallowed up by a larger bank who then had more staff than they needed (closed duplicated branches, etc). As there were many people in a similar situation, the employment market was flooded and jobs almost impossible to get. Yet I could not collect unemployment benefits because my wife had a part time job earning $1.45 per fortnight more than the cut-off, so I had to draw down my unrestricted super to live on and raise and educate my 3 kids. When I finally got another job (after working for two businesses that went into receivership), I was earning less that I had ten years previously.

Now I have less in my super than my funeral will cost, and my wife and I live on $635 each per fortnight. When the electricity bill for more than a fortnight's pension for one of us comes in, it doesn't leave much to pay other bills and put food on the table. The $30K super did not last as long as I had hoped or expected. Add to that the fact that this year I have undergone cancer treatment, with a urologist, oncologist and cardiologist each charging a non-refundable up-front fee of $750+. My wife has had similar with her gynecologist, haematologist and rheumatologist. It seems every time you see an -ologist, it costs a fortune. And not all medications are on PBS so they can cost a lot as well.

That's how the other half lives, if you can call it living.

• Caution 1