WW2 Air Force Terminology

Guest john

Whilst reading a book recently on Australian Air Force Pilots during WW2 in the Pacific, the author stated that when the Pilots were granted leave from their respective squadrons the accepted terminology was titled 'INTERCOURSE LEAVE'. Not exactly knowing what this term meant, I asked an ex Navigator on Liberators during WW2 what this term meant. ( This ex Navigator is presently on his way to Melbourne to sit one more time in the Liberator being restored at Werribee before he goes to AVIATION HEAVEN)

All he gave me was a POLITICIANS ANSWER & said "Use your own imagination"

Not fully understanding what this term meant, is there any ex WW2 air crew still out there that can explain what this term exactly meant because the numbers of these brave men are getting pretty thin as the days go by.034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

Not having got into the Air Force till twelve years after the Germans got dismissed from the War, I'm unqualified to postulate (but I will anyway) that the term would have been utilized to describe those brief periods of time when the military temporarily gave over the responsibility of 'screwing the troops' to the local female civilian population? A good friend is an ex-Lancaster crewman (93 yrs young and still going strong) so I'll attempt to get a proper answer when next we meet.

Our fathers used more genteel language in those bygone days. Society has changed and along with it our day-to-day vocabulary.

Instead of INTERCOURSE LEAVE, I believe that the current RAAF term is F^UCKED OFF.

OME

Our fathers used more genteel language in those bygone days. Society has changed and along with it our day-to-day vocabulary.Instead of INTERCOURSE LEAVE, I believe that the current RAAF term is F^UCKED OFF.

OME

Intercourse simply means to talk/converse. Presumably it was leave given to visit family, friends, etc.

Now, sexual intercourse is another matter altogether.

Our fathers used more genteel language in those bygone days. Society has changed and along with it our day-to-day vocabulary.Instead of INTERCOURSE LEAVE, I believe that the current RAAF term is F^UCKED OFF.

OME

I never heard that term when I spent nearly 10 years in the RAAF.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the English like to use precise words in official communications, so it was most likely totally innocent, and it's not surprising the old man was bewildered.

Intercourse to the English of that time just meant "social communication between individuals"

You have to add the word sexual to it to go where your minds are going.

• Winner 2

Intercourse simply means to talk/converse. Presumably it was leave given to visit family, friends, etc.Now, sexual intercourse is another matter altogether.

Exactly, 80KN...some people appear to be excited by words alone...

Kaz

• 2 weeks later...