New Years flight

JG3

New Years flight, sort of....

I had dreamed of doing my traditional early morning New Years flight over the Trinity Site, in New Mexico, where the first atomic bomb was exploded. But I couldn't get my visa extended, so had to do the flight in October. Can't fly right over the site because it's inside the restricted White Sands Missile Test Area. So this photo is from the very edge of that restricted area, and the actual site is 20 miles away, just this side of the mountain.

6090725514151622242?pid=6090725514151622242&oid=105596860426107370158

New Years flight, sort of....I had dreamed of doing my traditional early morning New Years flight over the Trinity Site, in New Mexico, where the first atomic bomb was exploded. But I couldn't get my visa extended, so had to do the flight in October. Can't fly right over the site because it's inside the restricted White Sands Missile Test Area. So this photo is from the very edge of that restricted area, and the actual site is 20 miles away, just this side of the mountain.

6090725514151622242?pid=6090725514151622242&oid=105596860426107370158

Ah heck, the photo doesn't seem to work. I don't know how to do this......

JG

In case you haven't done it before: You have to first save the picture you want to show online somewhere (like here: http://www.recreationalflying.com/media/ ). Then you can add it from your media. If saved elsewhere online; when open and you are viewing the picture online, right click on it - save the image URLs link - put that link in the image URL in your post 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif hope that helps and is correct.

In case you haven't done it before: You have to first save the picture you want to show online somewhere (like here: http://www.recreationalflying.com/media/ ). Then you can add it from your media. If saved elsewhere online; when open and you are viewing the picture online, right click on it - save the image URLs link - put that link in the image URL in your post 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif hope that helps and is correct.

Brilliant, thanks!

20141029Socorro%2B009.JPG

I had dreamed of doing my traditional early morning New Years flight over the Trinity Site, in New Mexico, where the first atomic bomb was exploded. But I couldn't get my visa extended, so had to do the flight in October. Can't fly right over the site because it's inside the restricted White Sands Missile Test Area. So this photo is from the very edge of that restricted area.

The rest of the story of this adventure trip is at http://jgflyingroadtrip2014.blogspot.com.au/

JG

• Like 4

I use the "upload file" on the bottom right to insert pics direct from my comp.

No need for an online url then.

After uploading you need to hit "more options" to change it from a thumb nail to full size.

I remember your pic from last year. It was my intention to get the "last light" pic yesterday (31,12,14), sun going down over the ocean but came off nightshift yesterday morning and embarrasingly was asleep.....

Will have to remember next year......

I ummed and ahhed and finally decided to go for a fly this evening. The wind had dropped and the thermals had stopped working and it was beautifully smooth...just like riding on velvet.

Just doodled around with a mate who owns several aircraft, including a six cylinder Jabiru, Commanche twin and an RV6. He hadn't been in an Auster before but I think he rather enjoyed it. At least until I slowed to 50 knots in the circuit and slowed down even more to go over the fence with the barn doors fully open.

My last few flights have been during the middle part of the day with a destination to get to and the bumps have been really unpleasant. Great for gliding but really uncomfortable at 100 knots with big wings. Tonight was what it should all be about...sheer pleasure.

Kaz

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Hi Mark

yes the Sierra got sold on to a guy in Nth Qld , withe the insurance we bought a ROKOSPOL via Gold low wing brand new test hrs on it , i have been getting used to it under instruction from CFI ,have solo a few times ,great plane to fly , wide body (my son is 6.4 ) plenty of baggage space ,130 litres fuel, Rotax , all the bells and whistles, also flew out to Caboolture to get Dieter to adjust prop, getting very comfortable with plane

cheers Gareth

Gareth, I had to laugh looking at the both of you and the size of your son compared to you. I don't know what us Dads (or maybe Mums) did, but all our boys, well at least both of mine and all my friends boys are taller and bigger than their Dads. It's too late now for any discipline ... LOL, not that we need it any more.

Nice landing BTW and a nice looking aircraft.

Refresh my memory, what happened to the Sierra, I have a vague recollection it was damaged?

Thanks David

as per post above Sierra was sold on , the guy has more time to fix the damaged wings (my biggest boo boo in an aircraft) Craig and i decided we dont have the time or inclination to fix it so with insurance money we purchased the Roko also my advancing years means that time is not on my side LOL but flying the Roko has made the flying enjoyable , and learning in a new aircraft is exiting , so happy days again , and as you say our kids are getting much taller than us ,2 sons previous marraige 6.1 and 6.2 and dan is 6.4 and size 14 boots!! wtf happened there mum is 5.6 and i am barely 5.8 so go figure ,will try to get the go pro closer to the front next time or put 1 in front . Happy days and have a great 2015

cheers gareth

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...