SBS Doco on at 830 Tonight

ayavner

its a 2 part series, so I hope i remember to catch the second part... looks like they're about to lead up to the SR71... used to love watching that bird back in the 80s in the USAF over in the UK... no sound like it!

I remember looking around an SR71 after hours at a Farnborough airshow. It was a warm evening (yes, rare but not unknown in UK), and there was a strong smell of fuel.

On closer examination, various rivets were ooozing juice. Apparently the whole fuselage is mostly fuel tank, and with the thermal stresses on the body, the rivets loosen and allow fuel seepage. Great.

But watching it take off from close by the runway was truly awe-inspiring - and bloody deafening!

Bruce

• Like 2

Pathetic piece of rah, rah Brit propaganda. Pabst von Ohain built the jet engine that flew in the first jet powered aircraft theHeinkel 178 in August 1939.

Not to diminish Frank Whittle's achievements but the Gloster aircraft didn't fly until 18 months or so afterwards and the Me 262 was used in combat by the Germans in operational units in 1944 and 45.

The Korean War bit didn't even mention the F-86 which neutralised the Mig 15 threat to UN fighter bombers. The Meteor wasn't a match for the Mig.

As for the U-2 bit, US pilots were flying it over Russia along with the Brits. I've met and talked to Pat Halloran the American interviewed about that. He also flew the SR71. The bit about the Brit pilots not talking about the missions is also bullshit as one of them is retired in Toowoomba and at public meeting in Toowoomba in about 2010 with the author of a couple of books on the U-2 he public ally identified himself in the audience and quite a few of us had an interesting hour with him after the author 's talk.

Sorry, some nice video of some early Brit jets but as became obvious later, the Brits were deluded about their progress in the early 50's.

SR71 skin expanded significantly, had to be refuelled just prior to take off with just enough to get up and to air refueling position.

Its said just before take off fuel flooded out of skin everywhere

Amazing for its time

Guest Maj Millard
SR71 skin expanded significantly, had to be refuelled just prior to take off with just enough to get up and to air refueling position.Its said just before take off fuel flooded out of skin everywhere

Amazing for its time

The fuel was a special type developed for the SR-71...JP 14 I think. Also the grey rubber tires were special to withstand the leaking fuel. Also the titanium used to build them was sourced from the USSR who had it all ( and still do) via a sneaky round a bout deal.

I love seeing footage of the huge V bombers, the Valiant and the Victor....they together with the Vulcan were beutifull looking aircraft and well ahead of their time in their day. Some very unique footage of early jets at Farnborough Air Show.

As a contributor and frequent user I have found it invaluable. It is regularly updated and edited, with reliability closely approaching esteemed sources such as Britannica.

Koreelah, you know you can edit it too.

• Agree 1