Amusing thought rather than funny ...

bexrbetter

A Japanese company ( Toyota ) and an American company (General Motors decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action. Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion. They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager. They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India

Sadly, the End.

Sad, but oh so true! Here's something else to think about: Ford has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US, claiming they can't make money paying American wages. Toyota has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US

The last quarter's results:

Toyota makes 4 billion in profits while Ford racked up 9 billion in losses. Ford folks are still scratching their heads.

IF THIS WASN'T SO SAD IT MIGHT BE FUNNY

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Read a similar one about the company I work for, which was not on the winning team.......

Made perfect sense to me!

Just been through the "cut cost" thing...... those involved got nice bonuses, the rest of us have to deal with the fall out......

Anyway, up for pro rata long service this year so keeping my head down....

• Like 1

First saw this one 15 yrs ago when Telecom (Telstra) started grappling with privatisation. But I think it might date back to Plato's time. Nothing has changed since the invention of Administratium.

• Agree 1

Read a similar one about the company I work for, which was not on the winning team.......Made perfect sense to me!

Just been through the "cut cost" thing...... those involved got nice bonuses, the rest of us have to deal with the fall out......

Anyway, up for pro rata long service this year so keeping my head down....

First rule of survival: no matter how stupid, don't challenge the decisions of management. I learned that the hard way.

• Agree 1

One of my projects currently that might be setup involves an ex army and an ex high level public servant - it's almost in the 'too hard' basket and will probably end up there, their naivety to real world costs and decisions is unbelieveable.

First rule of survival: no matter how stupid, don't challenge the decisions of management. I earned that the hard way.

The hard part is retaining your integrity, motorvation and inspiration......while doing that.

Working with several people at the moment I would call "institutionalised".

• Agree 1

Working with several people at the moment I would call "institutionalised".

People should view the foundations of "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister" as a documentary, not a comedy (all joking aside).

2 years living in Canberra was an experience.

• Like 2

About 5 years ago the oem rubber parts being supplied were failing early and regularly. Apparently they were mixing synthetic and natural rubber and this was separating.

So a new supplier was sourced and an Australian made product was found. This was half the price and lasted twice as long. Good stuff!!!

This went on for a few years and all was well....

....until one day someone in "purchasing" decided that all sites should use the same product.....so back to the oem....

Now paying twice as much for something that lasts half as long and is not manufactred in Aust.......

Company still losing money........lol

Got a million stories.....

People should view the foundations of "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister" as a documentary, not a comedy (all joking aside).2 years living in Canberra was an experience.

Maggie Thatcher commented that "Yes PM" was not a comedy show; it was a documentary.

The hard part is retaining your integrity, motorvation and inspiration......while doing that.Working with several people at the moment I would call "institutionalised".

After rashly challenging dumb management and expecting some support from colleagues and union, I lost my career, my retirement savings and many friends. I learned a lot about the limitations of human decency.

The good news is that I was lucky enough to spent the last few months working with a great team who restored my faith in people.

• Like 4

The hard part is retaining your integrity, motorvation and inspiration......while doing that.Working with several people at the moment I would call "institutionalised".

Sociopaths are over-represented in promotions positions. Many do a lot of damage to decent, highly qualified workers, and move up thru the ranks by cleverly working the system.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

After rashly challenging dumb management and expecting some support from colleagues and union, I lost my career, my retirement savings and many friends. I learned a lot about the limitations of human decency.

Tragic story Old Koreelah, but all too common in this world. However, you didn't lose many friends because they obviously weren't in the first place.

As for decency - I've unfortunately found that it's a safer approach to accept that it exists only when it's clearly demonstrated and it normally takes some sort of crisis for this to happen.

Be wary and trust only those who gain it.

It's a very sad world when trying to do the right thing can cost you everything.

• Agree 4

After rashly challenging dumb management and expecting some support from colleagues and union, I lost my career, my retirement savings and many friends. I learned a lot about the limitations of human decency.The good news is that I was lucky enough to spent the last few months working with a great team who restored my faith in people.

If you've got any spare , send em myway will ya !

Mike

• Like 1

Write a book…or become a consultant. We need useful ones with industry experience and common sense.

How about 5 to 10 grand a month in new parts thrown in the bin.

It was a bad KPI for stores to receive stuff already booked out back, so they refused to accept it back.

Ultimately it ended up in the bin, but hey, the stores bonus was great as all their KPI's were achieved.....

Couldn't become a consultant because I would be dealing with all those that I despise.

• Agree 1

There is a common statement often made about some who progress through the management ranks that "some people are promoted to their level of incompetence". I have seen this many times in my life and would add the following to the statement that they are often then promoted "Beyond their level of incompetence".

• Agree 1

The ABC satire Utopia was widely regarded by public servants and others in the know as a documentary, it so closely reflected the actual workings of many departments. Bill Gates has commented often that he is quite prepared to give more of his income to society, but he doesn't want to pay more tax because governments are too inefficient at redistribution.

I achieved my promotional ceiling several years ago. Now I am struggling to cope. my present boss is always looking for extra work to keep me employed. Makes me think I will give up retirement and go back to work.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 5
  • Winner 1

I achieved my promotional ceiling several years ago. Now I am struggling to cope. my present boss is always looking for extra work to keep me employed. Makes me think I will give up retirement and go back to work.

They do, don't they. My "home boss" works me far harder than my work boss.