Foxbat tundra tyres

Anyone have any information about Tundra tyres for a Foxbat? It occurs to me that the configuration could be changed to a rough field capability with the larger 8" tyre for the nose and much larger Tundra tyres for the mains. With the 8" tyres all round the aircraft sits very nose high which is why I think it would sit about level with Tundra tyres. Thanks, Jim.

I have the tundra tyres. They will fit on standard main rims but require a different "front end".

I know of one foxbat where the main only were changed. Seemed to work fine.

It is a factory option.

20150118_163557.jpg.a33b60364cd90d8e5cf8e31ffd52bd21.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I have the tundra tyres. They will fit on standard main rims but require a different "front end".I know of one foxbat where the main only were changed. Seemed to work fine.

It is a factory option.

[ATTACH=full]33722[/ATTACH]

Hi Downunder, thanks for your post, in your attachment they show the 8" tyres on the 6" wheels which are not what I had in mind. Tundra tyres are far bigger but thanks anyway, James.

Was that the Camel's Hump? If so, have flown over it twice.

Twas "wallabadah rock" one of the biggest rocks in Australia.

Actually I think it is officially the second largest monolith in the Southern Hemisphere 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Well worth a google.

Ps FH you have to be careful of prop clearance if you raise the mains too high, there are a few videos of foxbats doing short field takeoffs holding brakes with power and the prop is nice and close to the ground, big tyres at the back without beefing the front would make it closer

• Like 1

Hi Downunder, thanks for your post, in your attachment they show the 8" tyres on the 6" wheels which are not what I had in mind. Tundra tyres are far bigger but thanks anyway, James.

I have the standard "Tundra" tires too and I like them (except the fat nose wheel works like an anti-rudder making it hard to cruise in a straight line (well that's my excuse anyway). What sort of terrain are you planning to land on with bigger ones ? The FB is already not the fastest mode of transport...might be more like a hot air balloon with bigger tyres still. Hey..there's an idea...fill them with Helium and get more baggage in within the MTOW !

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

Thanks BoxFat, What I have is a very soft, sometimes muddy field / meadow and I don't want to rip it too much in case my friendly farmer tells me to go plough elsewhere. I think maybe the bigger 8" tyres to replace my standard tyres may be the way to go. I may have to apply for a modification approval if I go the balloon tyres route. Ps. With regard to your aircraft not flying straight, you will find tucked away near your feet a couple of movable foot pedals. I'm told they can be used in flight and will keep the tail behind the noseleg - Try it, see how you get on.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif ( I just wanted an excuse to use these brilliant emoticons) Thanks for your interest, James.

• Haha 1

SDQDI. Most savannha's etc sit well nose down. Having the Foxbat sitting nose high is likely to have a wheelbarrow effect or make it difficult to land the plane in gusty conditions. It likes to keep flying at ridiculously low speeds.

If you are running up on brakes you should hold a fair bit of back stick to keep the weight off the nosewheel and compression of the strut, re prop clearance. Nev

PS Dumping the flap after touchdown might be a good idea too. The thing needs ground spoilers.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The massive rudder and very effective elevator allow "touch and goes" without ever touching the nose wheel at virtually any speed.

On a "full stop" I retract the flap after touch down and cruise to a holt easily holding the nose off until 5 or 10 knots.

STOL aircraft fitted with tri gear doesn't seem right to me. I prefer the conventional tail wheel set up for STOL aircraft.

The Foxbat has got a tailwheel! - seriously, take a look. It is truly a STOL aircraft though - needs to be with my 230 metre field - 130 metres would be enough though as long as I have a breath of wind on the nose. They just added the nosewheel to level the aeroplane up when it's on the ground:duck for cover:James.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
Guest SrPilot
Does anyone know of a Foxbat (Valor in the US), which is fitted with the Tundra (balloon) tyres. Thanks for your replies so far, James.

I was told last week that the U.S. importer offered the option of tundra tires, but I do not know what size he had in mind. There are few A22LS Kitfoxes in the U.S.A. according to the data on the FAA's registry database. Only 10 listed and one of those is non-operational. The 3 closest to me are float planes. For us, a rare bird, but one I am trying to fly to see if it's my next plane.

Guest SrPilot
STOL aircraft fitted with tri gear doesn't seem right to me. I prefer the conventional tail wheel set up for STOL aircraft.

I tend to agree. I like them and I built my GlaStar as a taildragger so I would feel better landing on sod, but not all STOL aircraft have to be taildraggers, do they? images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqBEzBl8sVAM-IZGcolhtYj4vfPnMuimGej-1_fcVchLM-oIjaTA

The only thing you can't really do with tri gear is pin it on the ground the way you can with a tailwheel. (stick forward). Most low wing loaded STOL planes have excess lift which is hard to dump and are sensitive to gusts. One of the faults they have ,otherwise fun plane(s) Nev

The Foxbat has got a tailwheel! - seriously, take a look. It is truly a STOL aircraft though - needs to be with my 230 metre field - 130 metres would be enough though as long as I have a breath of wind on the nose. They just added the nosewheel to level the aeroplane up when it's on the ground:duck for cover:James.

Adding a little dolly wheel on the tail of a nose wheel aircraft to minimize damage if you stuff up the landing (tail strike) does not make it a tailwheel aircraft. Good as the Foxbat is, one thing it is not, is a tailwheel aircraft.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
I have the tundra tyres. They will fit on standard main rims but require a different "front end".I know of one foxbat where the main only were changed. Seemed to work fine.

It is a factory option.

[ATTACH=full]33722[/ATTACH]

Hi Downunder

Can I ask what size are the tyres and/or rims and what brand are they?

Cheers

Robert

Guest SrPilot
Does anyone know of a Foxbat (Valor in the US), which is fitted with the Tundra (balloon) tyres. Thanks for your replies so far, James.

I have the 15 x 6.00 x 6 tires - from the factory - on my late 2015 A22LS.

I have not seen a true tundra setup in the U.S. but my viewing has been limited due to the numbers of A22s and the dispersed aircraft. The "tundra" tires from the factory are not what I think of when viewing back-country setups with their 28-35" (70-90 cm) tires.

E.g.,

http://www.airframesalaska.com/Alaskan-Bushwheels-s/1477.htm

Now those are what I call "tundra". 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Adding a little dolly wheel on the tail of a nose wheel aircraft to minimize damage if you stuff up the landing (tail strike) does not make it a tailwheel aircraft. Good as the Foxbat is, one thing it is not, is a tailwheel aircraft.

Well there it is: a wheel on the tail. That, in my books, makes the Foxbat/A22/Valor a tailwheel aircraft ...in addition to being a nose dragger.

I think it will be hard to feet a tundra tail wheel to a Foxbat though!