Will You Live to see 85? Here's something to think about……..

Phil Perry

WE keep the best here for local use, where the conoysier in us comes to the fore. I actually ran and owned unfortunately) a wine grape vineyard. Not my choice to do that but that is how it worked out. All my red rootstock was from the Barossa. (Shiraz) and got top price for it. Shiraz is known internationally as Syrah, and I think it is hard to beat in the reds.. I felt I was repaying for what I had consumed over the years. Picked 75 tonnes one night, (mechanically) with about 9 in the team working from eight till six. Nev

I worked on one of the first mech harvesters in the Hunter. They tried to adapt it to old hand-picked T-trellises. What a nightmare .

i took up and still do tai chi it certainly helped me with everything even weight loss but of course i had to cut down on what i ate and drank plus eat food that was semi respectable .am also thinking of dropping in and buying food from the local farmer stalls.cant get much fresher than that.and of course im still learning to fly so what other incentive do u need

What's wrong with a brisk 15 minute walk + a 100 metre dash = another brisk walk back home?before you reach MTOW! OME

Hundred metre Dash ! ! ! 15 minute brisk walk ! ! ! ! Geez mate, I'd be in the cardiac unit before that. . . .

• Agree 1

i took up and still do tai chi it certainly helped me with everything even weight loss but of course i had to cut down on what i ate and drank plus eat food that was semi respectable .am also thinking of dropping in and buying food from the local farmer stalls.cant get much fresher than that.and of course im still learning to fly so what other incentive do u need

I wish you luck with your flight training Jeff,. . . . not that you'll really need LUCK, just a good instructor. We ( I say, we, as several of us, in microlight trikes ) used to fly around 25 miles ( wot's that in centimetres,. er,. . dunno ) to an RAF training airfield which was used by Hercs for "Off Airfield" landing practice for trainee pilots. It is called Chetwynd, and it is basically a rather large, circular site and is all over grass, with a control tower at one edge. It is closed and decomissioned as an RAF site every weekend ( dunno why ? ) but this is why we were able to fly into it wiothout any permissions, and setup throwaway barbecues on the site. We noticed, on one of our forays that there were some huge mushrooms growing around the windsock in the centre of the field,. . .we took a load of these and stuffed them under our seats and took them home. To this day, I've never found better tasting mushrooms than those we stole from the RAF. After a few months, we were told that if we landed there EVER again, we would be prosecuted. ( ? ) why, they didn't say. . . but the mystery was cleared up a couple of years ago, after a parachute club started operating from the same site ( with permission ) on weekends, and one day found that someone had cut their Cessna 206 into bits with axes. . . .aparently, the locals had been trying to get the site shut down for years, as the RAF used it all night in the week, and the Hercs were making an infernal noise ! ! !

So that was the end of mushroom central. The field is still there,. . .the RAF still use it, but only in daylight hours. Any idea whare we can find some decent mushrooms ?

So I wonder if you've ever landed to pick wild Australian flora to take home and eat ? ? ? ? or would you need Les Gittings ( the Bush Tucker Man ) to tell you if it was edible ? ? ? ! ! !

>

Several of us have flown into aeroplane beach and got a feed of oysters off the rocks. It is used now as a camping spot for fly in tourists so I doubt that there would be any oysters left.

I wish you luck with your flight training Jeff,. . . . not that you'll really need LUCK, just a good instructor. We ( I say, we, as several of us, in microlight trikes ) used to fly around 25 miles ( wot's that in centimetres,. er,. . dunno ) to an RAF training airfield which was used by Hercs for "Off Airfield" landing practice for trainee pilots. It is called Chetwynd, and it is basically a rather large, circular site and is all over grass, with a control tower at one edge. It is closed and decomissioned as an RAF site every weekend ( dunno why ? ) but this is why we were able to fly into it wiothout any permissions, and setup throwaway barbecues on the site. We noticed, on one of our forays that there were some huge mushrooms growing around the windsock in the centre of the field,. . .we took a load of these and stuffed them under our seats and took them home. To this day, I've never found better tasting mushrooms than those we stole from the RAF. After a few months, we were told that if we landed there EVER again, we would be prosecuted. ( ? ) why, they didn't say. . . but the mystery was cleared up a couple of years ago, after a parachute club started operating from the same site ( with permission ) on weekends, and one day found that someone had cut their Cessna 206 into bits with axes. . . .aparently, the locals had been trying to get the site shut down for years, as the RAF used it all night in the week, and the Hercs were making an infernal noise ! ! !So that was the end of mushroom central. The field is still there,. . .the RAF still use it, but only in daylight hours. Any idea whare we can find some decent mushrooms ?

So I wonder if you've ever landed to pick wild Australian flora to take home and eat ? ? ? ? or would you need Les Gittings ( the Bush Tucker Man ) to tell you if it was edible ? ? ? ! ! !

>

Don't know about flora, but I sometimes "harvest" a roo or two here. Good replacement for beef in a madras curry.

Don't know about flora, but I sometimes "harvest" a roo or two here. Good replacement for beef in a madras curry.

I don't mind a bit of Roo actually, . . . . but it needs a bash with a tenderizing mallet before being diced, then blanching in a hot pan with a bit of oil for a minute or two first, ( just until it starts to turn a bit white. . . ) then marinating with the curry mix overnight before slow cooking all day. ( If you've got the patience ! )

Phil. ( No relation to Phil Harbon, the famous English chef. . . )

• Like 1

Several of us have flown into aeroplane beach and got a feed of oysters off the rocks. It is used now as a camping spot for fly in tourists so I doubt that there would be any oysters left.

That's interesting mate, . . . . where is Aeroplane beach ? heard of it, but no idea where . . . . ( bet there's no oysters with pearls in 'em left anyway )

Phil

Phil. stop philpering with your roo, just put it on the hot barbie plate with some oil, cook it quickly and definitely don't overcook it and you have a steak to rival the very best of rump. Oh I forgot, you don't get real steak in britain! I used to work with beef cattle in England and never tasted steak until I came to Aus.

Aeroplane Beach S 24 deg, E151deg 50min approx. Just N. of Bustard Head lighthouse. Always good hard sand and usually the wind is parallel to the beach. The tourists fly from the township of 1770.

• Informative 1

Phil,

If you want to enjoy roo, the best way is to buy a fillet, slice it into thin steaks 1/4 inch thick, marinate in red wine and garlic, throw it on a hot BBQ, count 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 turn it over, count the same again take it off and enjoy

Ps you can marinate it overnight and it still tastes great

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I totally agree, Nev. Life expectancy for the average person might have already peaked. I'm sure lots of health freaks will live to great ages, but too many people are suffering an epidemic of inactivity and crap food.

Every day, whilst reading the couple of dailies ( Those that I can be botheered with ) there is almost always a NEW Medical revelation to slow down something or other related to ageing,. . .today it's WALNUTS. Yes folks, if you eat a "handful" of walnuts every day, this will really slow down and in some instances even arrest brain cell degradation ! . . . these things are usually accredited to research by some hitherto unknown university or other in the U.S., . . .like the unverssity of bogshite in West Carolina . . . this one says that the active ingredient in walnuts is a particular type of Fatty Acid. . . well that's a GOOD start for me anyway. . . I wonder if this treatment will cure my Daughter's nut allergy. . . . . .

Phil,If you want to enjoy roo, the best way is to buy a fillet, slice it into thin steaks 1/4 inch thick, marinate in red wine and garlic, throw it on a hot BBQ, count 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 turn it over, count the same again take it off and enjoy

Ps you can marinate it overnight and it still tastes great

Sorry Bryon,. . . saw your post yesterday and asked my local butcher bloke if he had any roo in stock,. . .he didn't, but sais he'll have some on Easter Saturday. He's going to dice it up nice and thin for me so I'll report back with my critique later. . . . . by the way, I don't like my steak oozing blood,. . .like it well done. I know, I know, . .my personal trainer says I ought to grab the cow, wipe it's ar$e, and ram it between a couple of bread vans, . . . . or cook it for forty seconds until it's nice and blue,. . . but I really DO prefer it cooked thru. Phil

*** Edited to add*** I suppose being 'Roo,. . .the red wine would have to be Australian ? ? ?

Marsupial meat is different from placental mammal meat in its composition and response to the heat of cooking - much like fish is different from chicken. Marsupial meat will toughen if overcooked, that's why the recommended best cooking method is a short exposure to high heat. Cook it for as long as you would cook a filet of fish. (If you are a Scot, you can batter it and then deep fry it!)

OME

Marsupial meat is different from placental mammal meat in its composition and response to the heat of cooking - much like fish is different from chicken. Marsupial meat will toughen if overcooked, that's why the recommended best cooking method is a short exposure to high heat. Cook it for as long as you would cook a filet of fish. (If you are a Scot, you can batter it and then deep fry it!)OME

Tell you what mate. . . this forum is full of useful Gen. . . . . . . Thanks for that, this explains Bryon's cooking timer, 1000 - 2000 - etc. . . . and also why I usually tenderise me roo before cooking it ! ! !

By the way,. . I usually don't eat Placenta,. . . although my 2 Brothers tell me that the reason I don't look like them, is nothing to do with Mother's extramarital dalliances, but that when I was born, they accidentally chucked away the baby, and brought up the placenta instead. . . .this must be why, when I was born,. . .the midwife took one look and slapped me mum instead.

>

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

A tough old cowboy from Texas counseled his granddaughter that if she wanted to live a long life, the secret was to sprinkle a pinch of gun powder on her oatmeal every morning.

The granddaughter did this religiously until the age of 103.

When she died; she left behind 14 children, 30 grandchildren, 45 great-grandchildren, 25 great-great-grandchildren ...........and a 40 foot hole where the Crematorium used to be.

• Haha 2

Maybe not 100% applicable, but some of the points fit in this thread:

Number 5 is interesting reading.

Number 10

Life is sexually transmitted.

Number 9

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Number 8

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich .

Number 7

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day, teach a person to use the internet and they won ' t bother you for weeks.

Number 6

Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything, but you still can ' t help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Number 5

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Number 4

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Number 3

Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200.00 and a substantial tax cut saves you $30.00?

Number 2

In the 60 ' s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

And The Number 1 Thought For 2009:

We know exactly where one cow with Mad-cow-disease is located among millions and millions of cows in America but we haven ' t got a clue where millions of illegal immigrants and terrorists are located. Maybe we should put the Department of Agriculture in charge of Immigration.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers.

What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

• Like 2

The air strip at Agnes Waters Qld Australia once had parachutists dropping into into the airfield nuddy both female & male & the females had nice bodies particularly down below the waistline & all the mothers of small children who were present at the airfield were watching anxiously & the interested mothers for some unknown reason were instructing their children to go & play hide& seek. The mothers were obviously sexually frustrated.