A320 crash

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BREAKING NEWS- all Australian airliners must now have two people in the cockpit at all times as of now.

A number of Hosties are going to be left disappointed then.

Or was that a minimum number ...

• Haha 2

I can understand old mate committing suicide but I cannot understand him taking 149 people with him.

Not much difference in the state of mind I'd say Dazza with people committing suicide by train, they see the train & not the poor fella driving it, either this bloke seen a way out and went for it not thinking of the pax, or thought well they will remember my name from now on won't they.

Easier to work with a tiger, all it wants to do is eat you and that's all you have to worry about, Humans well that's another story. you never know what a human will do next.

• Agree 2

Oh well, the knee has been jerked.........until next time.

There are certain flight attendants out there who will absolutely not be allowed in under the "two in the cockpit" rule if I'm flying. I've met several who are bloody certifiable as it is.

• Haha 1

So what if the crazy pilot goes to the lav, ties his two shoelaces together and comes back and garrotes the good pilot? The flight attendant going to fly the plane? If your good pilot is unconscious you still have to land the plane. You really need that 3rd pilot eh?

• Like 1

So what if the crazy pilot goes to the lav, ties his two shoelaces together and comes back and garrotes the good pilot? The flight attendant going to fly the plane? If your good pilot is unconscious you still have to land the plane. You really need that 3rd pilot eh?

There's more than one Youtube clip of a person with no skillz at all flying planes landing airliners (in simulators) by voice instruction only.

Oh well, the knee has been jerked.........until next time.There are certain flight attendants out there who will absolutely not be allowed in under the "two in the cockpit" rule if I'm flying. I've met several who are bloody certifiable as it is.

Valid point Dutchy,

I'd trust a single pilot more than your cabin crew, as you may have 1 in 5 or so people wanting an out, instead of just a flight crew, just saying

Oh well, the knee has been jerked.........until next time.There are certain flight attendants out there who will absolutely not be allowed in under the "two in the cockpit" rule if I'm flying. I've met several who are bloody certifiable as it is.

I know the sort - as soon as they enter the cockpit they make a grab for the four ringer's joy stick.

• Caution 1

Good point. Will all flight attendants now have to go through a psychological screening process to make sure they can be trusted not to crash the plane?

rgmwa

There's more than one Youtube clip of a person with no skillz at all flying planes landing airliners (in simulators) by voice instruction only.

Don't believe everything you see on YouTube bexer!

Good point. Will all flight attendants now have to go through a psychological screening process to make sure they can be trusted not to crash the plane?rgmwa

You can bet your bottom dollar they won't.

On autopilot, conducting an automatic landing. This is a sequential button-pressing exercise, plus extending the flaps and gear when instructed. You don't even need to select reverse thrust after touchdown. Just wait til the plane stops.

BREAKING NEWS- all Australian airliners must now have two people in the cockpit at all times as of now.

Do they have to be Pilots Dazza ? or will a couple of flight attendants do ? 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

I can understand old mate committing suicide but I cannot understand him taking 149 people with him.

He was "reported" to have said to someone that he wanted to be "Remembered" for something . . . . well, THAT worked I guess.

I know the sort - as soon as they enter the cockpit they make a grab for the four ringer's joy stick.

I've met a few Male flight attendants . . . and whilst I would not be so disrespectful as to suggest that they were all bright and gay, . . . . . . they were definitely on the HAPPY side. . . .

• Informative 1

We had a girl the other week bringing us a cuppa who couldn't open the cockpit door of an Airbus from the inside to let herself back out. "These doors are all so different! How do I open this?" She asked. After giving her instructions I turned to my colleague and said "I'm not often lost for words, but this is one of those occasions".

But anyway. The problem is now fixed. Warren Truss said so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Winner 2

We had a girl the other week bringing us a cuppa who couldn't open the cockpit door of an Airbus from the inside to let herself back out. "These doors are all so different! How do I open this?" She asked. After giving her instructions I turned to my colleague and said "I'm not often lost for words, but this is one of those occasions".

Aw come on Dutch, . . . . . . .can't expect CoffeeEffie to have read the A320 tech manual,. . . . . even if she COULD read in French. . . . . .

• Like 1

You can't have someone outside the flight deck with a by pass code, it defeats the purpose of looking the door in the first place. As mentioned earlier you can open the door from outside with a delay, it takes one of the pilots to select lock which will deactivate the keypad outside the flight deck for between 5-20 mins depending on the airline requirements. Reference the A320 FCOM eg flight manual.

yes but they could have a double code. The pilot enters his and if a cabin crew deems the pilot is fit to re enter, and they enter a cabin crew code, the door immediately opens. Banks and all sorts of security firms have used double coding for decades to over ride lockouts and beef up security.

Similarly a two person access code to over ride the auto pilot could be required. just sayin

• Agree 1

Some years ago, I watched as a really nice bloke in his Mid fifties I would guess,. . ( older than me then I might add. . .! ) had bought his Wife a Microlight flight as an "Unusual" birthday gift.

We watched as she was briefed and loaded into a Michelin man Ozee flying suit 2 sizes too big, and strapped into the rear seat of a tandem Flash 2 Alpha trike by the CFI. He had decided to overrule his AFI and take the ride himself, as the lady was absolutely, fashion model style, drop dead gorgeous. . . .)

When they'd disappeared over the horizon, I said to the husband, . . ." Would you like a flight yourself, ? it won't cost anything because I'm just a club member. . ." He was a bit reluctant, but the family members there with him gave him a hard time and eventually he agreed. So I got him kitted out and sat him in the rear of my Gemimi Flash 2 trike ( 1986 vintage with a 503 / 2 stroke motor ) I gave him an ongoing briefing as we taxied out to the active, and finally lifted into the luft.

The old flash 2 was a bit spartan, ie, the pilot ( me ) had no backrest, unlike late model trikes, the passenger seat was elevated around 250mm higher than the pilot's chair, so that the pax could see over the head of the driver. . . but it was simply a stepped seat, meaning that my backrest was basically, his goolies. His legs were wrapped around my sides onto the rear footpegs, which were connected to my foot steering bar for the nosewheel. On taxying, I had to tell him to put his feet outside the pod, so that he wouldn't interfere with the nosewheel steering, which can jam the heels of the pax if a tight turn on the ground is required. . . this he did without complaint, but I was a little concerned, that even after I had asked if he was OK to go,. and had completed my ground checks, he didn''t actually SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. Neither did he say anything other than to confirm that the intercom was working during the takeoff. . . . I told him that I had to make radio calls at varying times during the departure, but he didn't reply.

We had a really nice flight,. . .the weather was gorgeous, 23 degC , hardly any wind,. . .no turbulence up high, . . .I took him up to 3500 ft and flew around the tops of some puffy cumulus, and even this didn't elicit any comments, apart from the occasional "Yes, I can still hear you" when I checked the intercom. . . .weird I thought,. . .usually, when I did the cloud top thing, most "First Flight" people had a religious experience, or weed themselves occasionally, ( you can feel the warm sensation when they do that, as it's going down the back of your flight suit. . ) especially when they saw the shadow of our plane surrounded by a rainbow. . . . . you all know how beautiful this can be ( although a bit illegal ) Finally, we returned from a 35 minute foray, with me explaining everything to him, including what an ASI does and why, what an altimeter is, and how it works, how the plane actually FLIES, and why, and how it is controlled, . . .he declined my offer of "Having a go at driving" using the rear extended training bars . . . I noticed that his leg muscles tightened up around my ample thighs as we approached to land, with my flight instructor patter narration of the flight still going in full flow that he actually spoke,. . .asking nervously,. . . . . .are you sure we're going FAST enough ? ? ? ?

And it was not until they were sitting in the flying club bar later on, that his Wife told me what a wonderful flight she had experienced with Mad Gordon, the CFI, that her husband was a senior B747 training captain with British Airways. . . .

Felt like crawling into the nearest hole . . . . . I've found, over many years of experience that, . . .young pilots waste no time in TELLING YOU that they are pilots. . . .whereas the old hands. . .well,. . .just don't. Harking back to Dutchies comments about going our for a meal with friends, and being grilled about it. . . . I am the only ( living ) aviator in our extended and very large family,. SO. . . . I've had umpteen phone calls and texts this week asking if I can explain what happened to the Germanwings flight. . . . . people seem both terrified and fascinated at the same time regarding this, and I don't know a word which combines the two things.

Phil

• Haha 2