A320 crash

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil. 2 days into Summer and rain and gales, Is it correct that they start Summer early and run it on late in the hope of getting two days of good weather together.

Don't knock Wales, I am laways telling the Poms that Wales is the best part of England.

When I land at Heathrow, the first thing is to get a hire car and hit the M4, don't stop until I am over the big bridge.

• Like 1

Marty,. . .I agree with you vis a vis the Spitfeur. . . . . .but. . . . ( see below )Not much smaller than ours Marty,.. . . . .are you MAD,. . .? ?? ? your little island is less than a third of our landmass, and that's excluding Ireland. . . .Geez Mate. . . . . If you are having a "Landist" argument, then PLEASE get the Math ( if you are trained in America ) or the MATHS right if you are trained properly. . . .before arguing a lossmaking subject. . . . If we squashed Tassie up,. . .it would fit into Wales. . .and then you'd all be called TAFFY. D'you seriously want that ? ? ? ? Then you'd have to shag sheep, and speak in a really ridiculous 2000 year old language and have all your roadsigns changed to bi-lingual. . . . . I cannot believe you would countenance this. . . . . .

Ok lets check the 'maths'

Tasmania - 26,410 miles ^2

Wales - 8,023 miles ^2

So to squash Tassie up and fit it in Wales as you say would rather overfill Wales ... a bit over 3 times

England - 50,346 miles ^ 2

So yep, Tassie is not as big, its only a bit over half the size

But come on, Tassie is a brilliant place, lived there for over 6 years and managed to get out without marrying a relative ;-)

• Haha 1

Living on the 'MAIN' land I am absolutely cacking myself laughing watching this arm wrestling comp between Tassie and England keep it up fellas:roflmao: It's like watching your little brother take on your little mother inlaw 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

• Haha 3

Living on the 'MAIN' land I am absolutely cacking myself laughing watching this arm wrestling comp between Tassie and England keep it up fellas:roflmao: It's like watching your little brother take on your little mother inlaw 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif

• Like 1

Yes they have,. . .in fact, at one time some manufacturers, . . .including Douglas,. . . had an "Autopilot disconnect" which could be switched OFF by simply manually moving the control yoke,. . . .which resulted in an aircraft descending steadily into an impact in the Everglades and not one of the flight crew noticed this as they were all . . .aparently. . .distracted by a faulty indciator lamp of some sort, and when the Captain left his seat, he inadvertantly bumped the yoke as he left his seat, and thereby disconnected the autopilot. . . . . why he aircraft went into a descent profile when the autopilot was inadvertaantly disengaged, I really DON'T understand,. . . .but the rest is history, and they even made a damn movie about it. . . . .Which didn't explain ANYTHING AT ALL. . . .

Most autopilots will disconnect when the servos are overridden by a manual input and the effort required to do this varies between aircraft (it's usually not much). The rationale is that if the pilot is fighting the autopilot hard enough, it's probably stuck on and it's doing something he doesn't want it to do.

The aircraft which crashed in the Everglades only descended very gradually - not surprising even if it was trimmed pretty closely. It could just've easily climbed very gradually, or stayed pretty much level, but alas it wasn't to be.

These days when the autopilot disconnects for any reason at all, lights flash, klaxons sound, and the plane screams at you until you physically push the quick-disconnect button to shut it up. A re-design consequence of that accident. A normal disconnection of the autopilot is two quick button pushes - "click click" - the second one to stop the cacophony before it gets going.

• Informative 2

Hey Phil, waiting for the hate mail but not a big fan of the Spit, now the F4 Corsair that's a sexy WW2 aircraft, had a few guys up here that used to fly the Frightning, you getting a ride in that has turned me physcodelic green with envy:plane:

The traditional "Map of Tassie" is so 70's. More likely to be a landing strip these days. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

The "Map of Tassie" does not remind of an airstrip as quoted above , but is more of a reminder of a old girlfriend I was once with that stripped in front of me & nearly gave me a heart attack with what I witnessed in her birthday suit as I observed the MAP OF TASMANIA IN FRONT OF MY NOSE WHICH HAD A CRAB LIKE SMELL ABOUT IT. My navigation was then only focussed on one thing & that was some horizontal exercises.

that's the difference between being depressed and depression

There is a big difference between being depressed and having depression, and it has nothing to do with what you are inferring FT. Nothing at all.

We have more people commit suicide than die in car accidents in Australia every single year. And how many of them take out a plane load of people with them? Granted, most of them probably aren't pilots, but most of them drive and most of them do not take a car load of people with them when they decide to go. This was not just depression, and it was not just being depressed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Phil. 2 days into Summer and rain and gales, Is it correct that they start Summer early and run it on late in the hope of getting two days of good weather together.Don't knock Wales, I am laways telling the Poms that Wales is the best part of England.

When I land at Heathrow, the first thing is to get a hire car and hit the M4, don't stop until I am over the big bridge.

Funny thing about the M4 Severn Bridge Yenn, . . is that you get charged a toll to ENTER Wales, but reciprocally on the same bridge, no toll payable to Leave . . .? D'yer think the Taffies are trying to tell us something ?

Hey Phil, waiting for the hate mail but not a big fan of the Spit, now the F4 Corsair that's a sexy WW2 aircraft, had a few guys up here that used to fly the Frightning, you getting a ride in that has turned me physcodelic green with envy:plane:

Can't compare the Spit with big stuff from Uncle Sam, . . . . and the only green I got as a sprog cadet in a Lightning was airsickness !

• Haha 1

Funny thing about the M4 Severn Bridge Yenn, . . is that you get charged a toll to ENTER Wales, but reciprocally on the same bridge, no toll payable to Leave . . .? D'yer think the Taffies are trying to tell us something ?

to continue the thread drift ...

But to look the other way ... The Welsh are telling themselves - feel free to leave but to come back to the good lands will cost you ... unless you drive to the old bridge up the channel ;-)

I'm not paying to get into Wales mate ! Anyway, I don't have to use a toll bridge in order to get to my mobile home on the Welsh Coast,. . .as I approach from a different geographic angle . . . Just drifting slightly back onto thread a bit,. . . . I read an article this morning by an elderly aviation writer ( obviously ) who described the international kneejerk reaction to "Cockpit crew toliet ideas" as being much"Engarboyled" . . . . .

ENGARBOYLE ? . . . . Interesting word, . .not in a current dictionary, I found it in one of Mother's old word reference works from her schooldays in the late 1930s . . Olde Englishe word, long out of use, meaning "To cause obfuscation, argument and much confusion over simple matters " [ Verb ] so perhaps we should refrain from further engarboylement of this subject ? ?

I rather like that word. . . we ought to petition Oxford Dictionaries to resurrect that one eh ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Remember when the pilot's union opposed female pilots on the grounds that they could be emotionally unstable once a month?

Well I hate to be seen as sexist but I have a daughter and when she's in that state it I'd rather negotiate with a terrorist.

Pretty much all the female pilots I've flown with are a hell of a lot nicer to work with than a number of the male ones. They certainly don't overwhelm you with arrogance and loud opinionated obnoxiousness like a number of my male colleagues do!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Pretty much all the female pilots I've flown with are a hell of a lot nicer to work with than a number of the male ones. They certainly don't overwhelm you with arrogance and loud opinionated obnoxiousness like a number of my male colleagues do!

Never had a ( Lady ) commercial First Officer Dutch,. . . but surely it's just the nature of the gentle beast ? Ladies are ( normally ) not brash and macho. . . . OK, I know ONE. . .Lady FI who CAN be,. . .but not all the time ! ! Not only that, . . .I've flown with a lady pilot in the right seat whilst ferrying, and I have to say, that, even on a long leg, they DO smell a lot better, and don't argue with me ! ! !

• Like 1