Caboolture

Hi I wanted to ask if there are any pilots who fly out of caboolture, And if so do you think most pilots use the fly neighborly Rule in that area . meaning heading feet odds evens and so on.

Hi I wanted to ask if there are any pilots who fly out of caboolture, And if so do you think most pilots use the fly neighborly Rule in that area . meaning heading feet odds evens and so on.

Don't count on it..... Busy airspace on weekends..... Keep your eyes open and use your radio.....

JG

• Agree 1

Well pick your height according to normal procedures but I would fly an arc north of a direct track to Watts; that is track via the low ground into Kilcoy then over the lowest saddle into Watts... but then I fly a drifter!

• Agree 1

Fly neighbourly generally refers to not flying over someone's house, which we absolutely want to avoid at YCAB.

You are referring to a navigation rule that kicks in at 5000ft. However below 5000ft you will find it probably isn't really used.

It is busy airspace around there, so assume nothing as there is no rule outside of the circuit that says anyone has to be at any altitude.

Its a real issue around Ycab. When going to watts I usually do as Tex says and fly to the south of the prison just over the end of the range then direct to Kilcoy and veer left to go through the saddle and into Watts. There is a really nice flight to do the same except as soon as you get over the mountain then go over somerset dam and turn right at the end of the mountain into Watts.As far as levels go...to be honest I fly at 2000 and 3000 ft because most are all over the place and at least you get a chance to see them coming. But you do need to have your eyes like a hawk and scanning flying around Ycab

• Like 1

Caboolture and Caloundra have quite a lot of training and other activities, but not usually all at the same time. It's not as scary as you might think. Listen to the radio and keep your eyes peeled and there usually isn't a problem. I fly quite regularly from there to Watts Bridge and other destinations.

The only scare I had was having the glider tug fly directly underneath me on midfield downwind...and I had my instructor in the plane with me at the time. I was less than impressed by that little maneuvre.

I agree with others, to fly to WSG, I usually go Woodford valley. It's nice and there are several airfields up there if the noise up the front stops. But mainly just because I like the scenery there. Beware though, in a strong SE wind, there is a bit of turbulence that flows off the mountain across from Kilcoy, which is a bit unpleasant if you're flying around 2,000' or less.

I was flying the sling out caloundra but since they now have a sling on line at caboolture. I was just checked out on the sling their after a year off with a knee replacement. So I am working on some mini navs. And staying legal. I don't mind it being busy at Caboolture but I do find it disturbing when people broadcasts in the circuit are garbled. So you have no idea what they are up to.And that tends to distract you.056_headset.gif.8e2503279a37389023f4d903d46b667a.gif

• Agree 1

+1 that! Some radios seem to put out so little signal that you can't make out what the caller is saying. Some setups have so much noise that again, it's unintelligible. Some people mumble so that again, their radio call is just wasted. Then you get the people that key up the mic without listening if anyone else is transmitting first.

Some time ago, I came up with an idea for a radio repeater so that pilots could actually hear how their transmissions sound. Mark Kyle put the idea into practice at significant expense and effort to himself and... Not many pilots bothered to avail themselves of it. At some stage, the repeater suffered a malfunction and I'm not sure whether Mark troubled himself to get it going again. I wrote a thread about it in these forums and also an article in Sport Pilot. I'm not sure why people didn't bother with it. I can tell you though that there's a LOT of flyers in the Caboolture / Sunshine coast area that definitely NEED to know how BAD their radio transmissions are.

• Like 1

I was flying last Saturday at caboolture getting signed off on my engine failure and forced landings.then did some solo time in the circuit. it was a high work load other planes birds kangaroos. I was putting in extra calls just to make sure other pilots where aware. then there is the issue of some people doing really long down wind leg. who I don't think would make it back if they had a engine failure. then there is the issue of cutting in on them. which is not good airmanship on my part if I was to do that...

It can get busy in the circuit for sure. And yes some radios are a bit average but in general it feels comfortable to me. You need to be aware of what is going on and listen in and develop a mind picture of what is happening in the circuit.

Like Shafs64 said some of the circuits seem as though they are going to Kilcoy on the downwind leg. I will be stuffed if I am going to follow them out that far especially if I am in the drifter. That does put you right out over one of the fly friendly no-go zones and really is not needed. I sometimes feel as though I could do 2 circuits while some folks are on down wind.

As for transiting the area out to Watts Bridge. No real problem, I also tend to go out the Valley over Woodford to Kilcoy and then over the saddle. However heading down the western side of the dam and turning right after the ridge is also a lovely flight and gives reasonable options if the fan stops.

• Informative 1

Caboolture circuit is never short on fun...

And is it just me or are the birds really bad atm.

As for your hemispheric levels out towards watts (even though not strictly enforced below a050) there isn't a huge amount of traffic. Just keep your eyes peeled (i've only flown as far as kilcoy though myself)

Shags: we recently moved from Watts Bridge to Caboolture (not quite 12 months) and in that time, I think the bird situation has worsened. We've been lucky enough not to have a bird strike, but there have been some at the airfield and we've had a few scares. I don't know how a rubbish tip came to be right next to an airfield, but anyone giving it a moments thought would know that the tips attract the bin chickens.

• Agree 1

Yeah, probably "consulted" the way Newman "consulted" with his Strong Choices survey. 85% of responders said they didn't want assett sales, so he said they would just "lease" them for 99 years. That seems to be the way "consultation" is done these days...

+1 that! Some radios seem to put out so little signal that you can't make out what the caller is saying. Some setups have so much noise that again, it's unintelligible. Some people mumble so that again, their radio call is just wasted. Then you get the people that key up the mic without listening if anyone else is transmitting first.Some time ago, I came up with an idea for a radio repeater so that pilots could actually hear how their transmissions sound. Mark Kyle put the idea into practice at significant expense and effort to himself and... Not many pilots bothered to avail themselves of it. At some stage, the repeater suffered a malfunction and I'm not sure whether Mark troubled himself to get it going again. I wrote a thread about it in these forums and also an article in Sport Pilot. I'm not sure why people didn't bother with it. I can tell you though that there's a LOT of flyers in the Caboolture / Sunshine coast area that definitely NEED to know how BAD their radio transmissions are.

I tried 3 different radios and different simplex repeater modules. I have been having issues with all sorts. I will endeavour to get back to it over the next couple of weeks or so to find a viable solution as it is a great idea and piece of kit if I can get it working properly. It works but the audio quality reproduction I was not happy with. The situation has changed a bit now here so I can get more time to work on the issues. It will be back soon it has not been high on my priority list of late...I better do so as I recently just paid the ACMA for the licence again

• Like 1

I went out in the sling 8515 today thinking there would be less aircraft around on a weekday. I was wrong lots of people flying today. I was joining crosswind for 12 and noticed four aircraft waiting and one on final.

One Idea I like is the color of the FOXBAT. I follow him in the circuit today and that yellow is very easy to see.

• Like 2

One Idea I like is the color of the FOXBAT. I follow him in the circuit today and that yellow is very easy to see.

That is a good looking airplane isn't. I love Yellow. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

• Agree 1