a real road landing

Guest bluespot

Good job by the looks of it. It's good to hear of a good outcome after all the others that have been happening.

Worst thing I see with roads is the power lines that are so often beside them (see both pics) with offshoots running off in odd places just waiting to catch you out.

the engine fail light came on...... quality journalism there.

Where?

This sounds professional to me.

"Engine failure reportedly prompted the landing on the narrow Stanwell-Waroula Road, near the Capricorn Highway, about 9.45am."

• Like 1

Where?This sounds professional to me.

"Engine failure reportedly prompted the landing on the narrow Stanwell-Waroula Road, near the Capricorn Highway, about 9.45am."

my bad, i was reading the same story from another paper when i read that, i assumed the story opened from the link on the story from this page. either way..

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/reports-plane-landing-capricorn-highway/2629866/

Nothing wrong landing on roads. Many years ago in Missouri USA one of the gliding club members I was associated with stuffed up his circuit and couldn't make the 180 degree turn to the runway and ended up landing on the I35 interstate which was next to the airport. No problems but how do we retrieve the glider. Answer fly the J3 onto the I35 and tow it off. All good until the authorities came looking for us. We didn't show our heads for months.

• Like 5

The TV news report was interesting. Similar to the newspaper reporters they said an engineer had come to "inspect and repair the aircraft" before they took off again. He seemed to repair it very quickly - in fact it looked like about the same time it took for the bloke in the background on the ladder to pump some drum fuel into the tank ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest Maj Millard

Initial reports mentioned a possible fuel leak, maybe a loose fuel line ?.....which could be easily fixed on the spot followed by a simple pressure and leak check. The aircraft could then be singed off for return to airworthy status by an appropriate LAME. I think the crew demonstrated fine skills with what looks like a well performed emergency landing in a heavy aircraft, on a narrow road with adjacent powerlines. They then obviously took off again from the same road. Well done that crew !..........I have overnighted at Dingo and other than the roadhouse owner having drum avgas onhand if prev arranged, there would only be mogas available otherwise. Great place to overnight by the way.

055_ha_ha.gif.ab4c01c0c86f3c68b39f2590d051c8ca.gif

I was joking Doug! The Journalist had a big chance for a free hit at getting it right with the Cessna tag and she missed it.

Was at the time M8 but your right was a good outcome she did well !011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

The tv news showed the initial takeoff run starting on a decent right hand bend in the road.

Would have had the road closed for the take-off, would have made corners a bit less hazardous. Always look at the Newell highway through the Pilliga Scrub and wonder if there would be a gap in the B-doubles the day you need one.

• Agree 1