D-Motor

JoeDallas

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But how long before the "Duke" engine is thoroughly tested and commercially available? By far the largest number of these "new, fantastic engines" just fall in a heap when it's found that the new design can't cut it for reliability.

So many of these "new" engines only produce the same "old" problems associated with previous designs, some going back 100 years or more - sealing problems, lack of durability due to exceptional materials required, inability to defeat inherent, odd stresses, in the radical movement conversion principles.

Orbital engine, Revetec engine, Coates Spherical Rotary Valve Engine, a dozen other revolutionary rotary engines - they are all just commercial failures and yet you would think by the breathless hype that surrounded their introduction, that they would all be in production within a year or two and decimate the regular IC engine manaufacturers. Meanwhile, back at the fort, the old IC engines still just plug away, with gradual design improvements.

• Agree 1

I will not vouch for this but Franco from Flying Legend on his recent visit to my hangar stated that the 915 will come in at $e35000.

The 912 supercharged looked real cheap.

• Agree 1

That is just the problem. The most likely options for ultralight/LSA/RA-Aus aircraft are:  

1. Rotax (EU)

2. UL Power (EU)

3. D Motor (EU)

4. Jabiru (I won't say where this comes from but I will give you a clue: it's the same country where I am from)

5. Viking (Japan {Honda} + US based PSRU designed and added by Jan Eggenfellner)

(feel to extend the list if anyone thinks I have left a significant engine out)

As mentioned, again I assure you guys you are going to hear about a new motor very soon, Australian designed and developed by a well known Australian engine designer with history. If you have a build that's a year or two off from being finished but considering putting cash down for an engine ahead of time anyway, please wait to at least consider another choice.

I'm not trying to tease, I'm trying to help, not my place to announce details of it, but here's his feet at a crankshaft forging mob near me I took him to a few months ago .....

1183608029_crankdie.jpg.928d6af635883686d722bd53467b386e.jpg

.. and if anyone is concerned about "Chinese crankshafts", that die on the right is OME BMW 72 degree twin.

280350446_crankdie.jpg.4682d256ce85c3bda7c5bb107a290d5c.jpg

• Informative 1

The Viking 1./ isn't a new engine 2./ its an auto conversionboth will kill the resale of your aircraft when you go to sell it compared to a proper aircraft engine

I think you are looking at/commenting on the wrong engine FT. Go to http://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/ and you will see, as the name implies, they sell aircraft engines. That means, engines designed to go into aircraft.

• Caution 1

As mentioned, again I assure you guys you are going to hear about a new motor very soon, Australian designed and developed by a well known Australian engine designer with history. If you have a build that's a year or two off from being finished but considering putting cash down for an engine ahead of time anyway, please wait to at least consider another choice.....

I will PM you about an engine. 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif