Hi there

Taine

Hello and thank you to respondees of my thread. What age merits the commencement of FOGEYDOM? My flight instructor is a legend at 84 and feeds me hope, encouragement and kicks in spades. He says I'm no spring chicken but I figure that if I can run faster than him after calling him a cranky old bugger, I'm doing ok. Doing circuits and not finding co-ordination of everything from base turn to touchdown all that simple. Please, please someone, feed me clues on flying the Jabbie baby that will put a big smile on instructor's face. Of course he will take all the credit.

Thanks for the welcome.

• Like 3
  • Caution 1

Welcome Taine, there are a lot of us re-cycled teenagers on this forum with a wealth of knowledge, keep us in touch with your progress especially with your 'running away from your instructor ' escapades. 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif.

Alan.

PS Fogeydom is the same age as foggydom, when your eyesight gets somewhat misty.

• Haha 1

Hello and thank you to respondees of my thread. What age merits the commencement of FOGEYDOM? My flight instructor is a legend at 84 and feeds me hope, encouragement and kicks in spades. He says I'm no spring chicken but I figure that if I can run faster than him after calling him a cranky old bugger, I'm doing ok. Doing circuits and not finding co-ordination of everything from base turn to touchdown all that simple. Please, please someone, feed me clues on flying the Jabbie baby that will put a big smile on instructor's face. Of course he will take all the credit.Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome. I fly the j-120 and love it. I had alot of trouble with final/ short final. The thing that helped me was nailing the airspeed. I found that if the nailed the speed then the rest seemed to all work. Obviously there is more to it than that but it seemed to help.

• Helpful 1

I think you should just stick to what your instructor says at the early stages. Any confusion is not good especially at the early stages of learning to fly. You will get a lot of differing views at times. If I had a chalkboard and model plane and face to face, it might be another matter.. Nev

• Agree 3
  • Helpful 1

Hiya Taine,. . .and a hearty welcome to the forum.

As Nev has already said,. . .LISTEN TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR and NO ONE ELSE. . . . otherwise,. . .that is the way of confusion. . .a la "Who the B****y helL told you to do THAT ? ? ! ! says your mentor. . . . . .

When you've progressed a lot more into your training, you'll understand this. . . . .it isn't that others CAN'T help you,. . .it's just that too much advice, just muddies the water, well meaning though it may be. . . .you'd be amazed at how many early students ask the same thing. . . . . .

Anyway, . . .good luck with your training and keep us posted with how you are getting on. . . . .and, obviously,. . .keep on insulting and out - running the cranky old bugger ! ! !

Phil:cheezy grin:

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

Also check with the instructor and don't assume. When I was a student (many fogey years ago) i read a placard on the panel that said maximum canopy-open speed 80 knots. So I happily flew around with the canopy open, but my instructor nearly had a fit when he found out. The canopy had a busted catch on the slide.

Anyway, welcome!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Fortunately,. .. you wouldn't want to fly around in the UK with a canopy open, as even in our so called summer weather this would be decidedly non-comfortable PM. . . . . . . . .

Today was a typical example,. . . .brilliant sunshine,. . . nasty 12kt Northerly wind,. . .ambient temp 9 deg C. . . . . thermal underwear essential. . . . .Just looked outside in my garden, and it's covered with 10mm hailstones,. . .looks like a winter wonderland. . . .and it's June tomorrow,. . . ie, nearly midsummer. . . . . .

In Melbourne we used to say. "You don't like the weather? Come back in 10 minutes". Now we don't encourage them. It's growing too fast anyhow. Stay away!!!!. Anyplace is better than here. Believe everything Sydney siders have been saying all along. Nev

Hello and thank you to respondees of my thread. What age merits the commencement of FOGEYDOM? My flight instructor is a legend at 84 and feeds me hope, encouragement and kicks in spades. He says I'm no spring chicken but I figure that if I can run faster than him after calling him a cranky old bugger, I'm doing ok. Doing circuits and not finding co-ordination of everything from base turn to touchdown all that simple. Please, please someone, feed me clues on flying the Jabbie baby that will put a big smile on instructor's face. Of course he will take all the credit.Thanks for the welcome.

Hi Taine, I too took a lot of time to come to grips with finals in my Jab and still do the odd drunken landing. These little buggers can be a bit of a handful! Co-ordination of rudder and stick is not as intuitive as riding a bike, just stick with it and if you find you are getting frustrated don't persevere, just leave it for another day. When you finally nail it it is a great feeling

Roger.

• Helpful 1

Has anyone told you all lately (does that sound like a song?) how wonderful you are in offering what I know is sound advice considering the very limited information I gave you. It's given me fresh determination on a number of fronts. However if you hear of a Jabiru 170 being assassinated, please turn a deaf ear in my direction.

• Like 1

Welcome, advise, get out as often as you can. And you do not land the aircraft, you control the energy and how the energy is removed, all you need to do is keep it a few feet off the ground and when ready the aircraft will land. Well there is a bit more to it than that but that was very helpful advice to me and improved my landing 10 fold as I was always trying to land the aircraft.

• Like 3