Crossing Bass Strait

Russ

But some are. You don't get to pick the ones in the water around you. I used to swim with sharks. No more. Looking back on what I did I am amazed I didn't get eaten. It's their domain not yours. Don't quote statistics. They don't quite cover the situation. Being the meal of a very successful design of predator doesn't do it for me. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Russ,Skeds are scheduled radio reports of your position as you proceed over water, usually at 15 minute intervals nominated by the pilot - organised by a radio call to Melbourne Centre prior to proceeding over water. In the case of a missing report Melbourne Centre will initiate a search if necessary.

Haven't herd of skeds but got me thinking, are you on radar over the crossing?

Flight following would be a must if so, obviously have to be equipped

But some are. You don't get to pick the ones in the water around you. I used to swim with sharks. No more. Looking back on what I did I am amazed I didn't get eaten. It's their domain not yours. Don't quote statistics. They don't quite cover the situation. Being the meal of a very successful design of predator doesn't do it for me. Nev

Yes, it is a successful predator- but the deadliest predator on Earth, against any species is Us.

Been worried about a big toothy is a plus. It will take your mind off hypothermia, drowning, dying from crash injuries or embarrassment. Fear is a great motivator for survival.

You are more likely to die from sunburn if unprotected in the water long enough.

Being the meal of a very successful design of predator doesn't do it for me. Nev

Amen to that. ( i'm with you on this one brother )

Another sailor here. Spent plenty of time in the briney, never been eaten. Just like most of my mates.One day I was sailing as youngen (maybe 15) when I broke a tiller in a race. Sailed the boat almost back in but capsized in the mouth of the river. I was tired and we could not get the boat back up. When we finally got it upright a fishermen upped anchor and offered to tow us in. When we got to shore he showed us his prize catch, a 5ft shark caught about 30m from where we capsized!! Most sharks are not interested in people.

When your up too your are in alligators it hard to remind yourself that the main objective is to drain the swamp

• Like 1

Russ - I think you may be worrying unnecessarily, and that may be because there are some key factors that not everybody knows about.

Firstly, Sharks did not become apex predators by being stupid. We can reasonably expect that they will neither countenance the wilful destruction of the environment, nor risk their own health and well-being, by eating food that has arrived in an excessive amount of plastic packaging. Not even for a couple of mouthfuls of aged Qld. prime beef.

Secondly, the RAA (Rapacious Aquatica Australia) has recently issued a strong warning to its members of the dangers of being anywhere near the splash-down of a Jabiru, in the wake (little nautical allusion, there) of the CASA action and the strident debate that has followed. RAA has cautioned that where one Jabiru may arrive, others will soon follow in a show of solidarity (Jabirus are noted for being extremely solid) and that will, of course, lead to a huge spate of terminal-velocity crashes in the immediate area - much like a flock of gannets tearing into a school of pilchards ( see also: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/08/gannets/img/03-diving-off-shetland-coast-670.jpg ). While those would only cause a mild concussion for a fully-grown GW, they would turn the youngsters into burley, and no deeply sensitive and social animal like a Shark is going to risk its progeny.

Finally, there will be no schools of fish to provide either entree or desert for the Sharks - the entire world has been alerted to the random, unprovoked and devastating attacks upon schools of all descriptions by Jabirus. Schools of fish will obviously get the hell out of the area as fast as their fins can carry them.

• Haha 6

What! You mean that even in the middle of Bass Strait Jabiru's are at risk of crashing into a kindergarten full of toddler sharks? Geez Russ, make sure your 3rd party is up to date. Let's hope that the CASA (the Commune of Antipodean Shark-loving Activists) takes immediate action to limit all Jabs to over land flights only.

Thanks barman, I'll have another please.......and one for that bloke at #37

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Laphroig.........is that a licker. ( probably some cask wine ) .....I'll crack an ol "Grange" ....bugger the expensive stuff.

Russ! Russ! Tune in tonight to SBS at 20:30 for Operation Maneater the story of the great white shark.. Know thine enemy!

Grandy....Gandy, ol son, I'm paranoid now about them critters, you're sure as he'll not helping.

Sorry mate. They freak me as well. I was going to tell you about the one that appeared next to us while on a mates 24 footer off Sydney but every time I think about it I have clench really hard!.

Oops! Gotta go!

Laphroig.........is that a licker. ( probably some cask wine ) .....I'll crack an ol "Grange" ....bugger the expensive stuff.

Nah, Laphroig is an ancient Scottish tipple comprising barley and water, mainly. Smells like being drowned in a peat bog, mild as mother's milk ( for a given definition of 'mother', as used in: 'is a mother' )... and after a few good drams, you can and would use the bottle to beat the Sharks to death, if they threaten your grasp on the bottle. Grange is for pussies.

Nah, Laphroig is an ancient Scottish tipple comprising barley and water, mainly. Smells like being drowned in a peat bog, mild as mother's milk ( for a given definition of 'mother', as used in: 'is a mother' )... and after a few good drams, you can and would use the bottle to beat the Sharks to death, if they threaten your grasp on the bottle. Grange is for pussies.

"Mothers milk".............maaate, you is definately coonfused.........2nd to none, the right to that claim is Dramburie, poured over ice, any smoother than that is fanciful, bordering on delusional .

cheers.........003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

"Mothers milk".............maaate, you is definately coonfused.........2nd to none, the right to that claim is Dramburie, poured over ice, any smoother than that is fanciful, bordering on delusional .cheers.........003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Unless, of course, you were to mix the Drambuie with an equal quantity of Laphroig. That is an example of where one plus one equals ten.

Delusional? Sure ...003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif003_cheezy_grin.gif.045ea30218c055c2781fc6f7d18be527.gif003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Like 1