Member stats from annual report

DrZoos

I didn't have to log in to read it:thumb up:

A fairly good read..... Ok I didn't read it from cover to cover but I liked what I did read.

I couldn't find the breakdown on ages of members though DrZoos:surrender:

• Caution 1

Look at the sidebar "Aircraft Hours Trends" It seems that a 1:1 ratio between take-offs and landings still has not been reached. Is this because pilots are counting each landing bounce as a completed landing, or are there some pilots who refuse to come down?

839861279_Comein.jpg.75d1a57ccb2cf30395060c90aded10a2.jpg

• Like 1

The results of the recent survey with the Australian Institute of Business were briefly mentioned at the AGM (a formal statement to come). 1,500 responded, with cost being the biggest issue, 90% live within 200km of a Flight Training Facility; 70% of those who left went to motor cycle clubs. Will have to wait for the formal results, but I thought perhaps the RPL might have had a bigger impact.

AGM was good with about 40+ in the room and 50 by live streaming. News on MTOW increase, CTA, discussion on L1 training, Member's Charter, the new constitution etc. An aircraft register will be required under 149, the membership card will be phased out (when you can get your "proof of licence" up on the web, on smart phones etc). The new website launches 21 October where you can manage your details, pay your fees (there are options for 1, 2 & 3 year payments for aircraft and membership). There will be no members forum or discussion area. It is simply a business tool.

It was remarked that the one thing that was growing was the age of members. Looking round the room, apart from Board and staff, I was one of the youngest. I met some forumites and got to put names to faces.

Sue

It is surprising that the trends and registration data do not add up ...

Weightshifts registered at 30 June = 241 but top ten within category adds up to 328

PPC resgistered at 30 June = 220 but top ten within category adds up to 310

And worryingly the last two manufacturers listed for PPC have never built a PPC in their existence ... both are UK weightshift aircraft. So either the back end database is a bit 'iffy' on detail or the extract and review of the data presented needs a better eye.

• Like 1

wow gone from 9909 to 9117. That alone is a drop in revenue of about $158k

It is actually worse. The table lower down the page shows that in 2011 there were 10528 members. 1411 member lost at about $200 per member is $280k. Thats a few staff right there.

It is actually worse. The table lower down the page shows that in 2011 there were 10528 members. 1411 member lost at about $200 per member is $280k. Thats a few staff right there.

Offset by $35k of additional aircraft regn revenue ... not a lot but every little helps

The earlier stats where pretty dodgy, the system failed to remove non renewing pilots from the registry, it's a bad trend. With only 130 new pilots joining each year, its not hard to see where the RAA is headed.

Hopefully we are plateauing a little

The bottom graph is unemployment rate over the same period...

However with an average age of 51 years, this would indicate approx 25% or more members are likely to be at , post or dont give a hoot about stable employment

But I am sure for the < average and round average age members the post china boom and rising unemployment are beginning to cause minor concern

For the retired members, prolonged record low interest rates and a sideways moving stock market would also be wreaking havoc to discretionary spending

800783988_raamembers.png.b5e1ecdc15cd8ca9a2d8b86211d7b495.png

The results of the recent survey with the Australian Institute of Business were briefly mentioned at the AGM (a formal statement to come). 1,500 responded, with cost being the biggest issue, 90% live within 200km of a Flight Training Facility; 70% of those who left went to motor cycle clubs. Will have to wait for the formal results, but I thought perhaps the RPL might have had a bigger impact.  

AGM was good with about 40+ in the room and 50 by live streaming. News on MTOW increase, CTA, discussion on L1 training, Member's Charter, the new constitution etc...

Sue

What's the MTOW news Sue?

The news on MTOW increase was just that it was being favourably considered, no time or figure. The CTA, on the other hand, was "this summer" with Skidmore "positive". No one asked in question time for clarification.

RAA was also looking to future innovations to stay ahead of the game eg new fuels/ propulsion systems - electric / solar etc. Better to have something in place or simmering than get forced to make up the story with the "first of type" wanting rego.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1