confidence issues

its great to hear of your flight. And that your confidence it getting much better. most of my hours are on the late model 172r models before I changed to RAA. some time in my mid 20s my problem started but I was not aware of it as I didn't do much flying on domestic flight. started to learn when I was 35 that's when I found the issue.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I started flying which was before I joined the RAAF and became a Airframe fitter, I used to look at Ultralights and wonder if they were airworthy ie - strong enough.

As I learnt more and more about airframes and aircraft. I realised that the little bolts at the wing root that holds the wing on was certainly strong enough. As long as the pilots was behaving themselves.

Airframe structural integrity is pretty interesting. The bolts holding the lower wings onto my fuselage, though proper AN structural bolts, are rated fairly low compared to what "could" theoretically be used. But most of the stresses on those wings are taken by the multiple flying wires and the I-struts, and distributed across the whole structure to give you an airframe with an ultimate loading of around +/- 10g.

So it ain't gonna fall apart any time soon, not even in bad turbulence......unless I do something really dumb.

I have been dancing around this issue for a long time. has improved over the years that but not to a stage where I will finish my RAA nav endorsement. I have this if I get to far from the nest issue and the bumps set me off to.and I would love to know why this happens.bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

Im exactly the same. Ive done 7 hrs solo had a bad experience with bumps and themos haven't been up since over 1 yr. Want to badly

• Winner 1

Hi sparkdusty thank you for sharing its a hard subject to share and deal with. for my part I went up today and waited for it to get a bit warmer and lumpy and stayed in the circuit on purpose for an hour and played pucker factor. we are planning more of the same for next time and some other thing too. will update soon.

• Like 4

Im exactly the same. Ive done 7 hrs solo had a bad experience with bumps and themos haven't been up since over 1 yr. Want to badly

There is a lot of info on this sort of stuff (irrational fears etc.) on the internet. Some crap, some very good. If you dwell on the bad memories instead of the good, you'll never get back in the air. The last few flights I have done have been in conditions that make me nervous but as I completed each flight I found it easier to do the next. I forced myself to concentrate on what I will do during the flight rather than thinking it's gonna be bumpy or rough. Once in the air it was not as bad as I thought and by concentrating on the flying - perfect circuits etc. I had less time to think about the actual rocking and rolling that might occur. And as usual, the video showed the turbulence to be quite minimal. Eventually I will do away with the blouse altogether.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I agree circuits are good for keeping you busy. stay away from TV shows like air crash investigators. Also spent time in the Accident forum here and now I stay away from it. I also didn't check the weather today. two reasons one I didn't won't to be put off and other is it was a local flight.

There is a lot of info on this sort of stuff (irrational fears etc.) on the internet. Some crap, some very good. If you dwell on the bad memories instead of the good, you'll never get back in the air. The last few flights I have done have been in conditions that make me nervous but as I completed each flight I found it easier to do the next. I forced myself to concentrate on what I will do during the flight rather than thinking it's gonna be bumpy or rough. Once in the air it was not as bad as I thought and by concentrating on the flying - perfect circuits etc. I had less time to think about the actual rocking and rolling that might occur. And as usual, the video showed the turbulence to be quite minimal. Eventually I will do away with the blouse altogether.

This is true.

I also got spoiled over the winter, got my RPL and have been doing heaps of personal flights in near perfect conditions, then summer has to come along with its thermals!! Mind you, I did get a few scary days with the westerlies of the ranges to the west of Brisbane, lots of upset air!. I am starting to readjust to the summer conditions again though.

BTW, Went up to see the Sunny Coast Controllers after I landed today. Nice to talk face to face with the people who guide us in. I mentioned that it must get frustrating dealing with us noobs all the time, but the reassured me that 90% of their traffic is training and its part of their job. Anyone doing CTA should try and get into the local tower for a visit.

I agree circuits are good for keeping you busy. stay away from TV shows like air crash investigators. Also spent time in the Accident forum here and now I stay away from it. I also didn't check the weather today. two reasons one I didn't won't to be put off and other is it was a local flight.

I like reading the accident stuff. Understanding why things happen is part of the process of learning. I have taken a lot from both the Air Crash Investigations show and from reading ATSB bulletins. About the only incident that put me off, was the day before my final Solo Nav, a student in Vic crashed (fatal) doing the exact same nav, same type aircraft. I went up for my solo after an aircraft change (rejected the first plane during pre- takeoff checks), but about 10 minutes into the flight I turned back for home because my mind was not in it. Best decision I have ever made. I completed the solo a week later.

• Like 1

Air crash investigators is just about my favourite show! And it was the book QF32 that got me interested in taking up flying lessons in the first place.

I actually read that book on aforementioned flight on A380 to LAX!

I agree that reading accident reports can help us be better Pilots. but to much can have a negative affect. And that 172 accident in Melbourne was close to him for me that aircraft is in my log book.

• 2 weeks later...

update was signed back to Solo today at caloundra today very warm lots of thermals. I did better than I thought maybe because I was busy. So its back to private hire at caboolture. and keep working on it.

• Like 4

update was signed back to Solo today at caloundra today very warm lots of thermals. I did better than I thought maybe because I was busy. So its back to private hire at caboolture. and keep working on it.

What time was that shafs? I did a ferry up to YCDR this afternoon (first time I have been in their solo) and also passed overhead at half 12 on the way to Sunny Coast. I thought it was pretty calm for the best part, bit gusty at circuit height this afternoon though. Was bumpy out west around the hills too, but nothing like those nasty winter westerlies.

Well done cracking the solo again. Its good when you get that mojo back!!

Was up there in the morning. it warmed up quick I thought it was bumpy LOL it was warm in the circuit. I noticed one of the 172s from Redcliffe parked with no seats and prop at caloundra.

Was up there in the morning. it warmed up quick I thought it was bumpy LOL it was warm in the circuit. I noticed one of the 172s from Redcliffe parked with no seats and prop at caloundra.

They now have IVW, JTV, SPP and SPQ up at Caloundra. I think they also have the C210.

Its was a strange day today, lots of haze, lots of really high thin stratus. More wind than forecast, and it was coming from all directions depending on where you were. I flew back from Kilcoy to Redcliffe at 2500 and the OAT was 30 degrees. Far to hot to be in a small aircraft! Had 18 degrees at 6500ft at Jimna.

It looks like it was a day for achievements, I did my PPL pretest today and got recommended for the real test!. Not there yet, but I was pretty chuffed. Just to top the day off, another club member took SPP up to Caloundra and I flew up there to pick him up (free flight time!). Opted to let him fly back so I could be a pax. Its the first time as pax in a 172 and I got to stare at the ground and enjoy the scenery for once. You get to know the airspace well, but you dont really get to enjoy the view that often. I was nervous at first being a passenger, but got over that pretty quick.. I am stoked, 40 years of fear is starting to dissolve..

Anyway, I am stealing your thunder here shafs!! Keep smashing it out. Its taken me a while, but I am only really starting to enjoy it 150 hours in!