WUFI 2016 - World Ultralight-Fly In 2016

flyerme

I am very honoured to have been selected ' Australian Captain' for next years " World Ultralight Fly-In"Guinness world record. Thank you with all my heart and I'll do my up most to get a huge participation from this side of the globe.

We only had a handful of Aussies register this year so next year lets all get on board ...image.jpg.1b37bceca4b3dfa4b67baa6c618743b2.jpg

One Day. One Sky

Tim Heylbut

image.jpg.ff70d0dd3e016206c4819c7f9e740f88.jpg

image.jpg.4c912684814551ec51bdc4d8ac89f0ee.jpg

• Agree 2

Congratulations!

Can you post details of WUFI 2016 (where? when?), & the Guiness World Record attempt?

I might just have finished my MiniMax by then & be ready for some flying!

cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

Congrats Tim, well deserved I reckon:thumb up:

Hmm they say open air machines and have a pic of a gyro with what looks like an enclosed cockpit? Maybe if I fly with the doors off I'll sneak in next year:whistling:

Hopefully they give our captain a free shirt next year:amazon:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congrats Tim, well deserved I reckon:thumb up:

Hmm they say open air machines and have a pic of a gyro with what looks like an enclosed cockpit? Maybe if I fly with the doors off I'll sneak in next year:whistling:

Hopefully they give our captain a free shirt next year:amazon:

Yes I flew lightwing with doors off.

• Like 1

Oct

Congratulations!Can you post details of WUFI 2016 (where? when?), & the Guiness World Record attempt?

I might just have finished my MiniMax by then & be ready for some flying!

cheers

Bruce

october 1. 2016. Anytime and any where during the 1st oct . Any open cockpit ultralight flying machine.. Machines that fly doors off or doors open and are classed as an ultralight are welcome. I'll confirm weather Jabies qualify with door vents open? Lol.

Just take to the air on the day take a pic or video. And then date stamp the pic... Will post register details well before event..

WUFI 2015 sort of snuck up on us last year, I know that I for one was not aware of it until just beforehand. Next year there are no excuses.

With all the negative focus earlier this year (high fatality rate, CASA/Jabiru issues, RA Aus still “storming before the norming” etc) I started thinking about how we could put a positive spin on our passion for flying. Numerous posts on here and comments elsewhere spoke of how the age of pilots was going up and even new pilots are older, young people are not taking up flying. We need some positive PR to attract young pilots.

The idea I was tossing around was to have RA Aus designate a day as “no empty seats day” to try and get as many people as possible in the air in recreational aircraft on a single day. One thing led to another and I never really progressed the idea, but perhaps incorporating it with WUFI would be a goer and a way to include the plastic fantastics.

Essentially what I envisage is that across each airfield, flying club and school we keep as many aircraft in the sky all day as we can. All pilots with a passenger endorsement take up someone, anyone, family friends, first-time flyers, student pilots who will gain from the experience. Those with their own aircraft, how long since you flew something different? If your fuel costs were shared would you consider taking someone up? Schools and clubs have you got a 24 reg aircraft which could be used to allow as many pilots as possible to do at least the three circuits required to keep them current?

For WUFI, are there some classic ultralights, rag’n’tube aircraft which can be made available for TIFs (Drifter, Thruster etc even Lightwing with doors off:smile: ) for pilots who normally fly Jabirus, Tecnams, Foxbats etc? Let’s all get a feel for flying these aircraft and stay in touch with where things began. Who knows maybe you will enjoy it and fly “ultralights” more frequently and help keep this lower-tech enjoyable form of flying alive for future generations.

Even if the higher-tech aircraft won’t qualify for WUFI, perhaps we can include them in this way and use the combined day as a great promotion for recreational flying in Australia.

• Like 2

Its

WUFI 2015 sort of snuck up on us last year, I know that I for one was not aware of it until just beforehand. Next year there are no excuses.With all the negative focus earlier this year (high fatality rate, CASA/Jabiru issues, RA Aus still “storming before the norming” etc) I started thinking about how we could put a positive spin on our passion for flying. Numerous posts on here and comments elsewhere spoke of how the age of pilots was going up and even new pilots are older, young people are not taking up flying. We need some positive PR to attract young pilots.

The idea I was tossing around was to have RA Aus designate a day as “no empty seats day” to try and get as many people as possible in the air in recreational aircraft on a single day. One thing led to another and I never really progressed the idea, but perhaps incorporating it with WUFI would be a goer and a way to include the plastic fantastics.

Essentially what I envisage is that across each airfield, flying club and school we keep as many aircraft in the sky all day as we can. All pilots with a passenger endorsement take up someone, anyone, family friends, first-time flyers, student pilots who will gain from the experience. Those with their own aircraft, how long since you flew something different? If your fuel costs were shared would you consider taking someone up? Schools and clubs have you got a 24 reg aircraft which could be used to allow as many pilots as possible to do at least the three circuits required to keep them current?

For WUFI, are there some classic ultralights, rag’n’tube aircraft which can be made available for TIFs (Drifter, Thruster etc even Lightwing with doors off:smile: ) for pilots who normally fly Jabirus, Tecnams, Foxbats etc? Let’s all get a feel for flying these aircraft and stay in touch with where things began. Who knows maybe you will enjoy it and fly “ultralights” more frequently and help keep this lower-tech enjoyable form of flying alive for future generations.

Even if the higher-tech aircraft won’t qualify for WUFI, perhaps we can include them in this way and use the combined day as a great promotion for recreational flying in Australia.

looking like any aircraft considered " ultralight" will qualify More news to come.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
That's about ten days away. Is anyone in Oz participating? Why only open cockpit? Do I qualify if I open the canopy?

Yes , Im Australian Captain, for oz it's all and any Recreational Aircraft .

I have a couple WUFI 2016 patches left. $5 incl postage pm me

• 2 weeks later...

My Flight this morning at Clifton was in winds gusting to 22 knots, luckly nearly straight down runway 24. It was smoother than I expected but there were a few bumps on short final. I actually enjoyed the touch and goes with a low ground speed. Ground rolls were all only about 3 times the Drifters length and takeoffs seemed even shorter. I actually did each 'touch n go' to a full stop on the runway (to see how short I could go..) then commenced the takeoff again. None of the landings rolled past the first 100m runway markers.

Wayne.

11Drifter.jpg.0d050b5c56827a14c6b0ad21022387ee.jpg

4Drifter.jpg.7bb21d476ffe55b5d1aa317dc68def4e.jpg

5Drifter.jpg.5fdbf6683d17ca6f4b56a52684535874.jpg

• Like 7

My Flight this morning at Clifton was in winds gusting to 22 knots, luckly nearly straight down runway 24. It was smoother than I expected but there were a few bumps on short final. I actually enjoyed the touch and goes with a low ground speed. Ground rolls were all only about 3 times the Drifters length and takeoffs seemed even shorter. I actually did each 'touch n go' to a full stop on the runway (to see how short I could go..) then commenced the takeoff again. None of the landings rolled past the first 100m runway markers.Wayne.

[ATTACH=full]46071[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]46072[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]46073[/ATTACH]

Awesomeness. Well done ;)

If not done already. Here's the lodging link. Nest of Dragons

Simply fill ya details and upload your pic

NOTE : Please ad your name, place and time to your WUFI pic.

See my pic fir ref...

Thanks everyone