ABC interview

Yenn

Our local ABC station is doing programs on hobbies. Very interesting they have been so far, so I phoned them today and suggested they cover flying and aircraft building. Guess what, they thought it a good idea and will be interviewing me tomorrow (Wednesday) at 4pm.

That means I have to come up with as muh info as possible fairly quickly to put our hobby in a good light.

I have been loking on line for info about flying training organisations in Central Qld and there is not much. I didn't even see anything in Bundaberg, but I know there is a club there. Rocky I think does not do RAAus training.

If anyone knows who or where training is available please let me know. The area covered would be form the Sunshine Coast to Mackay I think. Mick if you see this what happened to John John or whoever it was.

If anyone has any bright ideas of what I should cover please let me know as I want to be able to do a good promotion job.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Rockhampton Sport Aviation do RAAus training for 3-axis & weightshift trikes from Hedlow (between Rocky & Yeppoon)

The general public usually imagine that it takes far longer & costs far more to become a pilot than is actually the case - if you can dispel that myth (at least for a few) you will have done a good job.

If you are really stuck for ideas then phone RAAus & ask to chat to the CEO who I'm sure would be happy to advise you further.

Good luck

John

Ian, two RAAus 3 axis training schools at Bundaberg, one is run from the Aero club (Bundy Flying School), the other is Hinkler Flying School operating out of the big hangar.

GA training for RPL, PPL and CPL at Monduran Aero Club (Jim Mullett 0428871799).

There is RAAus training available at Gladstone and still training at Maryborough (ProSky) I believe.

Gympie has two if not three schools offering RAAus training.

Cheers Mike

Yenn, sounds like a great idea, a good opportunity to inform people and dispel a few myths.

Some ideas to cover:

-Flying is for everyone, we have 16 year old kids and 90 year olds flying (wasn't there a survey on here recently which showed that the 50-80 age bracket was the most populous)

-As a builder you will be able to have such pride in your own creation. You can build and fly your own plane, but you cannot build and drive your own car.

-Learning to fly is not as costly as many expect.

-A recreational aircraft cost similar to a boat, 4WD, or RV (I have had friends think that a plane must be >$100K, showing them the ones for sale on here or RA Aus Member's Market for $30K - let alone a $10K 95.10)

-Range of aircraft available, PPCs, classic ultra-light (Drifter etc), kit built aircraft, plastic fantastic.

-How far you can travel and where.

-Learning to fly, anyone can do it. You could solo in a very short time and be a "Pilot" in as little as a week if you can afford to do al the training at once or spread it out with one lesson a week/fortnight as you can afford.

- for the benefit of the listening area; what are some of the most beautiful sights from the air around there (a particular lake near sunset, the change in terrain below you from farmland to native bush, crossing a mountain range to see the ocean come into view still 40kms away etc)

-The fun and thrill in learning to do something you have dreamed of since you were a little boy. Oh and it can impress the ladies too :)

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Yenn, I hope ( and am pretty sure you would anyway!) include some information about Jabiru (and CAMit, for that matter) as part of the 'general scene': Qld has an enviable reputation for managing to 'just get on with it' and produce a world-class product. Even though we all wish Jabiru engines were more robust, the fact that Australia even HAS an aero-engine manufacturing facility is a testament to Qld. pioneering spirit (and yes, Rod Stiff's complete inability to accept that it couldn't be done!)

The Jab. 'factory-assist' programme is surely worthy of mention too. The fact that an enthusiast can build a J430 that is highly-competitive with a C172, the world's most populous aircraft ( I believe!) is an eye-opener for just about anybody who has little understanding of light aviation, and a quick peek at a J2/4x 'kit' would dispel notions that we are all overgrown aero-modellers with an airfix glue addiction... And a visit to CAMit would blow the idea that 'ultralight' aircraft are products of bush mechanics tinkering with lawnmower engines out of the water..

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Caution 1

I would agree with all above especially oscar's contribution.

We did a similar thing about 3 years ago. We had an open night trying to encourage people to join the SAAA and build their own planes.

We approached the local abc radio station and local free weekend paper for advertising for the night. They both grabbed the idea and pushed us for articles and interviews. The local freebie paper proved to be the place that got us the most interest.

The thing that got the most interest was that anyone can build their own plane and fly it. Getting a licence was mildly interested but everyone already knew that. And besides so many people think that only rich people can afford to own a plane and fly so it's of vague interest but only just.

But somehow building your own plane grabs everyone's attention far more. Sort of something anyone can do even on a budget.

So for what it's worth I reckon lean toward the build your own plane side of the equation.

• Like 1

Our local ABC station is doing programs on hobbies. Very interesting they have been so far, so I phoned them today and suggested they cover flying and aircraft building. Guess what, they thought it a good idea and will be interviewing me tomorrow (Wednesday) at 4pm.That means I have to come up with as muh info as possible fairly quickly to put our hobby in a good light.

I have been loking on line for info about flying training organisations in Central Qld and there is not much. I didn't even see anything in Bundaberg, but I know there is a club there. Rocky I think does not do RAAus training.

If anyone knows who or where training is available please let me know. The area covered would be form the Sunshine Coast to Mackay I think. Mick if you see this what happened to John John or whoever it was.

If anyone has any bright ideas of what I should cover please let me know as I want to be able to do a good promotion job.

Just tell them stories from your experience, it will come naturally, and you'll find the interviewer will have questions as prompts anyway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

But don't tell them that hardly anyone in the RAAus does. I hope we do more in the future. Nev

Nev: the 19-reg sequence goes from 0430 to 8888. There are a lot of gaps, for sure, but I'd guess, maybe 500 aircraft with 19-reg. I'll go out on a limb here, and suggest that maybe 15% of the RAA fleet is 'owner-build', under the 51% rule.

Time was, when most of the Australian Yacht manufacturers produced 'finish-it-yourself' hull and deck kits. I am not familiar with the market nowadays, but I think that has almost disappeared, because people don't have the time nor expertise to do that work. According to an article today in the SMH, Australia is one of the major markets for 'luxury' cars - we are a nation of workaholics who don't know how to build something, we just work our a$ses off and buy it. ( http://www.drive.com.au/motor-feature/why-australians-love-luxury-cars-20151207-glhkmp.html )

I suggest that building your own RAA aircraft is MOSTLY an exercise for retirees - though a project such as HITC is undertaking says that some of us just can't keep out of the workshop. Some retirees go fishing, or take up golf; those of a more enquiring mind, build themselves an aircraft...

• Agree 1

More mention of the real world cost associated with purchase new or second hand would be good.

Ie. for the price of a average fishing boat, motor and trailer you can get a factory built Jabber.

Or for the cost of a basic new 4wd and camper trailer you can get a flash new aircraft etc

You can travel australia far cheaper than in a 4wd per km travelled.

Aircraft don't loose 45% of value after only 3 years ownership like a car or 4wd.

In fact the actual cost of ownership after depreciation, other fixed costs etc even if hangered is less than a new 4wd per year.

You can get a nice single seater for the price of a new jet ski or motorbike.

Those sort of comparisons to put things into context cost wise.

The fact you will pay less for a service/inspection than many common cars.

That a folding wing aircraft can be trailered home and kept in the same spot as many caravans or boats.

There are no speed limits in the sky just fly to the conditions.

Your safety is not dependent on the drunk or distracted driver coming the other way

etc..........

Lots of good arguments why it is affordable compared to many choices for recreation we make.

And it is FUN.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Give this site a plug :)

Or don't.

While this site is fun to read it isn't a great place to "market" to potential participants. By the time they get past the sexist jokes and arguments about gun control and religion they can read about how CASA is on the verge of destroying the whole show. Who would want to take up the sport?

The key message is to explain is that is is easy, anyone can do it and it can be done for a cost less than most people think, if it is kept simple.

• Agree 1

BRILLIANT!

I was coming home from several weeks spent working near Toowoomba on my own aircraft; near Tamworth I passed (with my wee Jab on the trailer behind) a 'grey nomad' couple in their brand-new Range Rover Vogue with brand-new Airstream caravan behind. At a rough guess, around $225K for the pair. As an old Rangie owner ( mine is a 1973 model!), I have to say I envied them - if I HAD to have a caravan, an Airstream is classic and class.

BUT: in my re-built Jabbie, I can go to places that they will never see. I can decide that I crave Bundaberg Tiger Prawns ( I do..), and damn well go and get a few kgs. I can head for Broome for the oysters, or Kakadu for fresh Barra,, or Darwin for large stubbies and running away from crocs. on the beach for sport. And - though I may have to camp overnight in a pup tent - I can look at landscapes other than a ribbon of road ahead of me..

• Like 1
  • Winner 3

Oscar there would be a lot of 19 aircraft not flying and may not again. What is the position of second and subsequent owners?

My comment refers to the CURRENT and likely immediate future situation. with building. and I'd love to see it going ahead strongly. SAAA do, but the majority are RV's and their membership is not large. Building takes years and you still have to be young enough to fly it when it's finished. Skills are dying out.(Building and flying). We compete with a lot of other pastimes that are out there where some can Buy and Try, and move on. Instant gratification is the go. You are persuaded that if only you have an "X" object, your life will be complete. (Until next years model comes out, with 93 improvments). Nev

Nev - can't but agree. I grew up in a workshop (actually, a famous Luthier's workshop) where I was taught to use woodworking tools from an early age, there are still probably people wondering what to do with the Loquat-wood Serviette rings lathe-turned Christmas presents I made for them when maybe 8YO.

But - the progress from home-assembled rag-and-tube chainsaw-powered single seaters, is not something to be mourned. The fact that the majority of RAA aircraft nowadays are very competent and safe aircraft is something we should embrace and promote to the general community. The general community needs to know that these are 'real', if small, planes, that they can be a significant contributor to - particularly - the 'connection' of rural/remote areas top the rest of Australia.

Thanks everyone. Not a single bad suggestion here. I only hope I can make a good impression, the interviewer seems to know how to draw out a person, by what I have heard so far, but I am no public speaker. I will have to find a contact for those gladstone and gympie schools, I know some of the lists posted by RAAus inn the past were pie in the sky. I think the only thing anyone here has missed is the joy of fly ins.

Wish me luck for tomorrow.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. Not a single bad suggestion here. I only hope I can make a good impression, the interviewer seems to know how to draw out a person, by what I have heard so far, but I am no public speaker. I will have to find a contact for those gladstone and gympie schools, I know some of the lists posted by RAAus inn the past were pie in the sky. I think the only thing anyone here has missed is the joy of fly ins.Wish me luck for tomorrow.

Talk from the heart, just talk as if you and a mate were talking and forget it is a reporter.

Talk calmly and clearly, if you are unsure on something just say your not to sure and don't try and guess.

We will be listening online :)

Hi Ian.

I couldn't recommend John-Jon to my worst enemy. There were very good reasons that the aero club ceased working with him. I am astounded that he manages to keep operating.

Russell (Pro-Sky) ceased operating out of Gladstone due to a lack of support from the now defunct aero club and the costs of operating there when actually based in Maryborough. He does however still operate out of Maryborough and I can highly recommend him. Doesn't help much for Central Queensland though.

Good Luck

Don't forget to point out that there are quite a few lady pilots with their own aircraft (eg Debbie) and many who share the passion with their husbands.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Our local ABC station is doing programs on hobbies. Very interesting they have been so far, so I phoned them today and suggested they cover flying and aircraft building. Guess what, they thought it a good idea and will be interviewing me tomorrow (Wednesday) at 4pm.That means I have to come up with as muh info as possible fairly quickly to put our hobby in a good light.

Hello Yenn,

Good to see you out there doing positive things..

Peace aviation in Rocky have a 24 reg Jab they train in it .. those people get RAAus certificates.

You see two graduated students at our monthly brekkies.

CDFG is a club at Thangool we have the brekkies once a month..

Come along to some brekkies when one is there one can arrange some instructional flights.

CDFG is having its biannual fly in on the 22-24 July.

That so is my little bit.

Regards,

KP.

Definitely relate your personal experiences and try and get across just how achievable it is. If you can convince people that going for a tif is the way to go it will be a great start.

Tell them about the raaus website and let them know they can get their info from there. You may find that the abc WON'T let you promote individual FTFs.

There was a sTory floating around here a while ago of the young girl who flew to school in her little jab which might be well worth a mention just to show that we aren't all chauvinistic pigs :-)

• Agree 1

Yenn, I hope ( and am pretty sure you would anyway!) include some information about Jabiru (and CAMit, for that matter) as part of the 'general scene': Qld has an enviable reputation for managing to 'just get on with it' and produce a world-class product. Even though we all wish Jabiru engines were more robust, the fact that Australia even HAS an aero-engine manufacturing facility is a testament to Qld. pioneering spirit (and yes, Rod Stiff's complete inability to accept that it couldn't be done!)The Jab. 'factory-assist' programme is surely worthy of mention too. The fact that an enthusiast can build a J430 that is highly-competitive with a C172, the world's most populous aircraft ( I believe!) is an eye-opener for just about anybody who has little understanding of light aviation, and a quick peek at a J2/4x 'kit' would dispel notions that we are all overgrown aero-modellers with an airfix glue addiction... And a visit to CAMit would blow the idea that 'ultralight' aircraft are products of bush mechanics tinkering with lawnmower engines out of the water..

Trust you to come up with negative stuff.

Regards

KP.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2