Why practice pays off - How much Crosswind practice do you do?

Aldo

.........but because the Tower controllers change runways to keep you into the wind all the time.....

Ok, just gonna put my YSSY-based airline pilot hat on here.

Bahahahahahahaha!

Into wind? Seriously? Change the runway so that it's into wind?

Bahahahahahahaha! 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 008_roflmao.gif.1e95c9eb792c8fd2890ba5ff06d4e15c.gif

• Haha 4

Twice I have flown to Kadina SA and both times the wind was flat out and 90° across the runway. I had a go the first time but it was pretty rough so I chickened out a came back home. The second time I didn't bother as the first time was still fresh in my memory. I also prefer cross-winds from the left, dunno why...

Fair enough. Amazing how when you are concentrating on the important stuff how the basics take care of themselves. That won't stop me winding Danny up when I see him though lol. Actually got up for a couple of hours today. First time in a few weeks. Now I am away again for another week.

So when are you booked in for the Vixen?...I hear the 140 might be a bit squeezy too

Twice I have flown to Kadina SA and both times the wind was flat out and 90° across the runway. I had a go the first time but it was pretty rough so I chickened out a came back home. The second time I didn't bother as the first time was still fresh in my memory. I also prefer cross-winds from the left, dunno why...

Kadina always is always a cross wind landing, so the ASC instructors tell me!!

First availability after I get home for the Vixxen is 6 Feb.

Got the 140 12 till 2 THAT DAY then the Vixxen. I already got a half hour Taxi time in the 140 on Saturday but noone was going to take her up in that wind. The Vixxen is home tomorrow, maybe I can convince him to take me up before him puts her away LOL.

Ok, just gonna put my YSSY-based airline pilot hat on here.Bahahahahahahaha!

Into wind? Seriously? Change the runway so that it's into wind?

Bahahahahahahaha! 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 008_roflmao.gif.1e95c9eb792c8fd2890ba5ff06d4e15c.gif

Here's a copy of the Melbourne Basin Visual Flight Guide.

Page 14 shows the Moorabbin runways.

If you decide to fly into Moorabbin, you could try asking them, for example, to pick up Runway 17 Left and turn it around for you - we'll all listen to the response.

https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/net351/f/_assets/main/pilots/download/melbourne.pdf

In most of this, the type of plane is not mentioned.. Helps if you do.

With crosswind landings and take offs correct technique is essential. There are a couple of choices in the landing phase and a combination is possible. It's very much a judgement and coordination issue, but the winds are never exactly the same. In a small plane if you get hit by a gust at almost any stage, it changes your situation a lot, and maintaining control can be difficult, a go around may be the only possibility. In a conventional aircraft (single engine) you have more control with power on, as you are blowing air over some of your control surfaces. Combining a tailwind with a crosswind isn't a good idea, if you can avoid it. Your higher groundspeed isn't helpful. Nev

Here's a copy of the Melbourne Basin Visual Flight Guide.Page 14 shows the Moorabbin runways.

If you decide to fly into Moorabbin, you could try asking them, for example, to pick up Runway 17 Left and turn it around for you - we'll all listen to the response.

https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/net351/f/_assets/main/pilots/download/melbourne.pdf

We frequently joke about Sydney's noise sharing policies which result in runway allocations with tailwind, or 25 knots crosswind which would be 100% headwind on the cross runway. Not so much a drama for takeoff but a pain in the backside for landing.

Dutchroll - if you are landing say a 50 ton plan (guess a 737 could be that) - I would of thought a 25 kt crosswind would equate to a lot less ............... than say a light aircraft in the same wind ......................... like to know that - thanks

Crosswind with tailwind isn't easy. I felt it was overdone at Mascot. Don't do it with U/L's unless you have no choice.

johnm, I can relate your question to the B 727, which may help. . The listed maximum was 33 knots X wind to be reduced for gusts, water on runway etc. This was a "demonstrated" figure by the manufacturer and as no other wind was available that remained the figure in the book . You could easily exceed the 33 knots, without difficulty. Your landing speed and inertia make it easier than smaller planes . You can still have directional control problems with aquaplaning on a wet runway. Nev

In some heavy jets that's approaching the maximum crosswind limit. A Boeing 767 (typical landing weight say 120-130 tonnes) has a 25 knot limit on a wet runway and 30 knot steady-state limit on a dry runway. And we don't exceed the published crosswind limits under any circumstances.

But yeah most light aircraft would have a bit of fun (!) trying to land in that.

• Agree 2

Not in my experience. Certainly not a problem as one can request / require a different runway and often asked if it is acceptable but up to 5kts downwind and +15kts Xwind is not unusual for effective traffic flow.

Yep totally agree. Quite often the duty runway is not the most favourable from a wind perspective, especially if you go into class C airports. What is a serious xwind or tailwind component for us isn't a big deal for jets. The most challenging landings I've had from a wind perspective have been at Adelaide when there has been either a stiff xwind or a decent tailwind.

Melbourne runway 34 trying to land an Airbus 330 on a stinking hot day in a 30-45 knot gusting northerly - all headwind but the most bloody frightening experience!

It's not pleasant trying to fight a fly-by-wire sidestick controlled large plane with glider-like wings onto the ground (especially an up-sloping runway like 34) in those conditions.

There were a number of go-rounds that day from various aircraft as I recall.

Perhaps, rather than confusing things by referring to "Capital City airports", which people have taken to mean the international airports, I should have said "Archerfield, Bankstown, Moorabbin, perhaps Parafield and perhaps Jandakot, which are Capital City airports.

The point of the post was that you don't get the same level of crosswind practice at these that you get on a single strip country field.

• Agree 1