Way to go CASA

PapaFox

I know that my experience with CASA may not mirror that of many on here, but I'm actually suitably impressed.

I decided that I'd make use of the holidays over Christmas and make a start on doing my RAAus to RPL conversion. Only organising my medical in late November, I figured that it would be better to just get a RAMPC medical vs Class 2, given that the expected processing time would make it unlikely that I'd get it before CASA closed for the break. Armed with the wad of paper that the RAMPC is, I managed to book into the DAME and saw him 27 Nov, last thing on the Friday arvo. Now, the DAME was only interested in doing a full Class 2, as it is easier to process straight through his computer, so that is what we ended up doing. To my relief, the medical was mailed to me on 3rd Dec.

I finished all of the required flying to convert to the 172, including a few flights to qualify for the CTA/CTR endorsements. With more paperwork in hand, I emailed the whole application to the licensing centre this Monday morning (18th), also posting the originals that same day. Well, to my surprise, the license was sitting in my mail box yesterday, with the covering letter dated 18 January. Same day processing! I know of another RPL application sent this week with similar turnaround. Maybe there are positive changes at CASA after all!

• Like 3
  • Caution 1

meanwhile, the email that I got from CASA today

We apologise for the delay in completing the assessment of your application/notification. We acknowledge that this job is now past its service delivery date. Unfortunately, we are still experiencing a significant number of open jobs.In addition, this job requires some additional technical assessment, due to the complexities of CASR Part 61 and how they relate to your particular qualifications.

Please be assured your job has progressed in the queue and will be actioned as soon as possible.

after 7 months.

Same here.

UNCLASSIFIED

This is an automatically generated email. Do NOT reply to this email.

Unfortunately, PAC is still experiencing delays in processing transition applications (Form 61-9TX) that have been submitted with a notification of a CASR Part 61 activity, such as a flight review, proficiency check or issue of an operational rating.

We acknowledge that you are waiting to receive your first CASR Part 61 licence document. However, please be assured that your flying privileges are not affected by not having received the new licence. You can continue to use your CAR Part 5 licence document that has had the Part 61 activity written onto it – such as your most recent flight review, proficiency check or issue of an operational rating.

We have engaged additional staff in PAC to assist with assessing the high volumes of applications. We appreciate your continued patience. You can now monitor the status of your application through the new CASA Self Service, regardless of whether you submitted your application online through CASA Self Service or via email, fax or post. Once the job is logged by CASA, the status will show In Progress until the job is completed.

You can now submit a number of FCL applications/notifications through CASA Self Service and we encourage you to use this functionality for future applications/notifications where possible. In time, the number of applications available to be submitted through CASA Self Service will increase.

You can also view your personal details and update your primary contact details through CASA Self Service including your residential address, primary contact number and email address.

Please note, before registering for CASA Self Service, CASA must have your current email address. If you need to update your email address in order to take advantage of the online functionality, please email CLARC ([email protected]) with your new email address, stating your ARN, full name and date of birth and your details will be updated.

Guest russ.mullins

To add to the pool of PRL stories, here is mine. I have decided that the RPL is the way to go for me, mainly to carry extra weight when I travel, and to move to a heavier aircraft to reduce the impact of bumpy weather, and also to have some more room in the cockpit. At first the RPL seemed straight forward, get a medical and send it off with my RAAus pilot certificate, and in hindsight it was kinda that simple, but by the time I made copies of my log book, which doesn't fit a standard A4 or A3 copy page, and my pilot certificate, and my ASIC and then got them all certified true by a JP some time had passed. Then I struck a problem regarding the English language test, because I was applying for a new licence I needed this assessment to be done in order to use the radio. It's tricky finding an assessor for this test, but through a local school I found one and sat the test, good news I can speak English. I sent my pile of forms to CASA three weeks ago and within 14 days my new RPL arrived in the mail. To comment on how I found CASA throughout this process, they were always polite friendly and helpful on the phone, and whilst the process was time consuming the end result was rewarding, my only criticism is that when I phoned on one occasion over Christmas the person who answered the phone transferred me to a message that said they were closed for Christmas, and amusingly along with receiving my licence in the mail I also received a flyer to go online and complete a CASA customer satisfaction questionnaire which I tried to do, but the questionnaire had expired a few weeks earlier. Maybe the person who posted my licence just had a sense of humour. Overall I'm pretty happy with CASA right now, however the RPL is no use to me until I complete a flight review in the GA aircraft.

I emailed the whole application to the licensing centre this Monday morning (18th), also posting the originals that same day. Well, to my surprise, the license was sitting in my mail box yesterday, with the covering letter dated 18 January. Same day processing!

Haha have to ask did you off them some baksheesh? Or a nice write-up? 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Congrats of the RPL Papa!

• Caution 1

My RAA to RPL conversion was posted and around 1 week later I had it in the mail. This is especially good as I'm in regional WA and the post times basically assure it was processed at CASA on the same day they received it.

• Helpful 1

Nice to see they have some parts sorted. I sat my new Part 61 AFR in October last year. Still haven't got the new licence although have had about 4 automated emails from CLARC saying that it was coming just that there have been some delays.

Fortunately it makes no difference since my old one rolls on. But really!!

For what its worth here is my 2 bob's worth..

I am 'trying' to go from PPL to RAA.. to fly my newly acquired Jab Supa Pup.. I had a ground loop accident in my experimental McCulloch/Aero Resources Super J2 gyroplane in 2010.. doing a test run essentially to check rotor damper adjustment prior to the test pilot taking it for first flight (CASA requirement). The J2 lifted one wheel and ground looped after cutting power in my attempts to keep it on the ground. In Nov 2011.. 18 months after I was charged with 'reckless operation' (endangering myself..!) and 'forgery of a Maintenance Release' (forgery of a signature - It was actually a printed reference in block letters!).. Long story.. two court cases later.. I won the case against reckless operation.

In late 2015 CASA informed me they were going to 'review' my PPL.. (on the basis of being reckless and further endangering others- no witness ever said that I was reckless or endangered anyone else.!) I could request a 'show cause' hearing.. which I did and after sending my written submission it was heard on 17 Sep 2015.. At that hearing I pointed out the sub clause CAR 269(1A) which precludes suspension for any violation of the Act or Regulations if not proven in court. Their lawyer agreed. CASA have not responded yet.. and until they do I cannot honestly answer the last question on the application to join RAAus..

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 2

It's not an allegation.. It's the truth.. only that's not 1/10th of what I could say.. all supported by written/recorded evidence.. but maybe here is not the place to go into it. One thing however for every ones interest, since 1995 neither CASA or any government agency can charge any person involved in a sport or recreational activity with endangering themselves. In my case it was a serious corruption of the meaning of the Act, having discovered I was not in breach of any regulation (supporting reckless disregard of regulations) for CASA lawyers to 'change the basis' of the charge to 'reckless endangering myself'.. You can read it for yourself at CAA 20A(1),(2).. You have to break the grammar to change "person or property of another person" to "person, (namely yourself) or property of another person." which is exactly how CASA lawyers worded it on the charge sheet.

I am sure you got there permission before recording them?

Otherwise that is an offence and you can be prosecuted.

Also if permission has not be obtained (and also recorded on to the tape) then this cannot be used as evidence to support your case.

Don't mean to be sounding like a .... .... but would hate for you to get into more trouble.

It's legal to tape record your conversation with someone else, with or without their permission or knowledge in Victoria and it is admissible. You must be a party to the conversation. It's not the same in some other States where you do commit an offence.

Kaz

• Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another email from CASA today: apologising for omitting two endorsements and noting thst two others are subject to technical assessment - it is not really that complex.

Thinking that buying an N registered aurplane and flying it on my USA licence is the way to go.

• Like 1

Tomorrow will be 5th month since my "show cause" conference at which the CASA lawyer agreed there was no grounds for any suspension or revocation of my PPL. The ops mgr suggested I talk to the new CEO of CASA.. Any thoughts.. from what I see of him in the Senate inquiry on the Jab engine I am not so sure..

How are you going to get his ear? Having things in writing counts for more than any CASA individuals word. I'm very sympathetic to your situation. Good luck. Join AOPA. The only show that stands up for you. Nev

It is not for them to ignore any affected members concerns. When needed they take CASA on in a fullsome way. They would rather not be on a conflict footing but they don't have any need to be frightened of them. Spencer Ferrier has assisted the RAAus,( May still be doing it). Nev

It is not for them to ignore any affected members concerns. When needed they take CASA on in a fullsome way. They would rather not be on a conflict footing but they don't have any need to be frightened of them. Spencer Ferrier has assisted the RAAus,( May still be doing it). Nev

Thanks.. yes I was in touch with Spencer.. a sort of watching brief.. might look him up again..