FW190

shafs64

i think its great to have such an aircraft in australia. don't get me wrong i love all the RR engined spits and mustangs but have a german fighter in oz is wonderful. they said it would be flying at tyabb airshow

• Agree 4

My Uncle was shot down by a FW190 on 7/6/44 (D Day +1) over France. He said he flew his Mustang out of cloud and got nailed. The resistance looked after him until the Allies Advance. You don't hear much of them its always the ME109's, Bit like the Spitfires got all the glory but the Hurricanes did most of the work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

There is a great book about the spitfire vs me 109 called "the decisive dual". It also describes the FW 190, and if I recall correctly, described it as being superior to both the Spitfire and 109, but that is suffered from some engine issues and wasn't effective at high altitudes.

I think that since the one depicted has a radial, it is one of the early production types. I think they went with the in-line engine later on. Probably changed engines due to poor performance at altitude as 2tonne suggests.

OME

I think that since the one depicted has a radial, it is one of the early production types. I think they went with the in-line engine later on. Probably changed engines due to poor performance at altitude as 2tonne suggests.OME

I though they were all radials. I could well be wrong but I've never heard of an FW 190 variant with an inline engine ... got any details OME?

• Agree 3

I've seen the immaculately restored NASM FW190F-8 as it was being rolled out of the Silver Hill restoration facility, and also the stored (and unrestored) pressurised FW190 high-altitude variant ( can't remember its model number) down the back of the silver Hill warehouse complex.

Stunning aircraft and rather more imposing on the ground that any Merlin-engined Spitfire, it (certainly appeared to, anyway) swung a really BIG prop.

Would absolutely love to see one flying here.

The "D" model DORA was an inline version which later progressed to the TA 152.

Both very limited production. The radials maintained the majority of production right to the end of the war.

The TA 152's mainly kept for protecting ME262 fields, where the jets were most vulnerable. Taking off and landing.

fw190d9_rudel.jpg.a620a2e5369a184c0ff3fde7de240deb.jpg

2_12_b1.jpg.dcb4ce33f007cd2d044a3107269a6355.jpg

• Informative 1

The FW 190 ran water meth injection. Kurt Tank was the designer and did some of the test flying. It was so fast it was not armed at the time as it could outrun other types. German supercharging was well ahead of the english superchargers no doubt in some part due to the use of supercharging in many competition engines since the late 20's and allowed the Bf 109's to get high altitude, when the Merlin couldn't at the time. A radial engine lends itself to fitting a supercharger, Usually a centrifugal one and has a gearbox to drive it with a higher gear available for altitude. The Liberator had turbo charged 1830 P&Ws and enabled it to get to high altitude ( 30,000 feet) being a bit of an exception to the normal configuration. Nev

You're correct. The FW 180 used a BMW 801 series radial throughout its production life. I wonder what plane I was thinking of?OME

Not so fast OME. At least some models used inline liquid-cooled engines; they retained their round cowlings and had a ruddy great inline exhaust set each side.

The Japanese were interested in how the FW-190 airframe was adapted for inline engines; they did the opposite, improving their only inline engined fighter (Ki-61) by fitting it with a radial engine to create the impressive Ki -100.

http://acepilots.com/german/fw190.html

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail-page-2.asp?aircraft_id=95

Not so fast OME. At least some models used inline liquid-cooled engines; they retained their round cowlings and had a ruddy great inline exhaust set each side.The Japanese were interested in how the FW-190 airframe was adapted for inline engines; they did the opposite, improving their only inline engined fighter (Ki-61) by fitting it with a radial engine to create the impressive Ki -100.

http://acepilots.com/german/fw190.html

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail-page-2.asp?aircraft_id=95

Both aircraft in post # 15 have inline "V"engines.

• Agree 1

Radial engines are pretty exclusively air cooled. Liquid cooled engines are more susceptible to damage from bullet or shell fire and overheat on the ground in tropics. Often a smaller frontal area though, and a cleaner looking design, (except for some bulky radiators at times). Nev

A radial twin row crankshaft and conrods assembly is not simple. It would be a toss up as to which was the cheaper, in my view. I'd say an Alison would be cheaper to produce than a Merlin. Volume would eventually be a decider of cost per unit. Packard produced some Merlins . Nev