Royal Queensland Aero Club in voluntary administration

aplund

I only had about 6 nav exercises left in the course schedule, plus the PPL written test.

You sound like just the bloke the administrators should be fast tracking to pump you out of the sausage machine so they can get their VET FEE-HELP money from the guvment.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You sound like just the bloke the administrators should be fast tracking to pump you out of the sausage machine so they can get their VET FEE-HELP money from the guvment.

My HECS days are long over. I'm a self sponsored student. They'd get money from me each flight tho. No finance required.

My HECS days are long over. I'm a self sponsored student. They'd get money from me each flight tho. No finance required.

Even better, have you had a call from the administrators? If not What are they doing going down with the ship.

Even better, have you had a call from the administrators? If not What are they doing going down with the ship.

Contacted them this morning. Turns out they don't take calls over Easter.

Aplund, get in touch on Tuesday, expect delays as there will be plenty chasing them

Once you have your records you will have other options at AF in a C172

There are at least 5 others at AF you can chose from

The RQAC business model has been shaky for some time and quite frankly I am surprised that it has lasted this long.. I was gobsmacked when they got some premises at Wagner's airport.. must have had a free/subsidized period and now the rents due.. Years ago, I was a member, but the RQAC then is nothing like todays..

Aplund, I would walk away from any involvement, so you can just concentrate and enjoy your flight training, with as someone else here has described as a sausage factory, and find another school where you will be better trained..(and not just be a number) my suggestion... Go and see Brian Weston at Southern Skies near the terminal building (yes 172) and fly with one of the best instructors I have ever flown with..(he does my AFRs) Interestingly he has some other students there that have walked in disillusioned by both RQAC and others..

PS.. He will be there tomorrow Easter Saturday ( a mate of mine will be doing some flying with him)

My reference to "sausage factory" was inspired by the rush to offer VET Fee-Help funded courses, especially those offering laptop computers to disabled applicant who can't comply with course requirement, rather than any knowledge of training at RQAC. They had no trouble getting hold of the money, salting it away and going broke after paying the director's consultancy fees, long before the candidates passed their courses. All they get for their trouble is a $22,000 laptop computer.

AAA only had one glass cockpit C172, iirc. They charged even more for that one. I have been paying $414/hour (dual, $304/hour solo) and $109/hour for briefings + landing fees + all my own equipment for the entirety of my PPL until now. All on basic 6 pack C172R.Seems I may be on the lookout for a new flying school in Brisbane to complete my PPL. Any suggestions? (I absolutely must have it done by August. I was hoping for end of April, but I don't think that's a possibility now).

Redcliffe aero club charges $371 per hour for a 172SP and I thought they were on the expensive side. No landing fees and minimal taxi time too. The price is the same for glass and analogue.

Redcliffe aero club charges $371 per hour for a 172SP and I thought they were on the expensive side. No landing fees and minimal taxi time too. The price is the same for glass and analogue.

If that's is ex GST, and dual, then its about the same. (Landing fees etc excluded of course.)

If that's is ex GST, and dual, then its about the same. (Landing fees etc excluded of course.)

That's including GST.

Air Queensland (also at Redcliffe) have two older (M and N models) and their rate is $365 (inc GST) and there is no need to pay annual club fees.

Shags.. already done mate.. Brisbane Flying Group have two 172S's.. well organized group and I used to fly them when they had the grummans.

they currently have 44 members and shares come available from time to time and can certainly make flying more economical.. you never know.. If they get more membership enquiries, they might go buy some more..

Ex GST is $338/hr dual.

Talking to a couple of RQ students today at Redcliffe. Lets hope RQ can trade out from their problems.

Southern skies is about the same cost as redcliffe aero club. Toowoomba aero club is cheaper than redcliffe with landing charges waived for ab-initio.

Can confirm, Last time I looked, Toowoomba was the cheapest 172S in SEQ.

so they had twin twins?a pattern is emerging that might help explain the financial plight

Plus a Boeing 737 simulator, a twin sim and a basic single sim.

Lots of Chiefs too CEO, CFO, CCO, CMO etc.

Redcliffe Aero Club have just started to offer VET-FEE courses too, hopefully they don't end up in the same trouble.

They are actually going to restrict numbers on the VET-FEE courses at this stage as I understand it. I am off to tassie for a week, but I will ask the question of the CEO when I return. The current board, CFI and CEO are walking that fine line of the downturn in industry and over investing very well I think. I am all for the school part of the club doing well, as it means more and better aircraft for the members, but I agree with the current mentality that is preventing a dangerous situation with financial liability.

Aplund, you are probably going to be better off finding a new school at YBAF considering the travel aspect, but if you want to come take a look at Redcliffe Aero Club send me a PM and I will take you for a fly in one of our 172's and maybe do one of the nav's (ie nav 5, see route below) or something like that. It will be a good refresher for me and you can laugh at my mistakes! I will be back in Brisbane on the 3rd april and plan to spend the best part of the following week or 2 at the aeroclub doing volunteer stuff.

nav5.png.1b7464d77f3c88b28badb4b52e6f6098.png

Shags.. already done mate.. Brisbane Flying Group have two 172S's.. well organized group and I used to fly them when they had the grummans.they currently have 44 members and shares come available from time to time and can certainly make flying more economical.. you never know.. If they get more membership enquiries, they might go buy some more..

I'd be happier if the bris Flying group accepted a RPL :( I just havnt had the time to upgrade to PPL yet.