Lesson 06: "Turning"

003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif Hi All,

Pilot Status: Student

Goal: (RPC) Recreational Pilot Certificate,

Flight School: Fly Now Redcliffe - http://www.fly-now-redcliffe.com/

Instructor: Peter Lefrancke

Today's Aircraft: Tecnam P92 Eaglet (LSA)

Lesson 06: Turning

Back at YRED this morning for Lesson 06 in the Tecnam. Its Easter Monday, so Wayne my regular instructor is having a day off, so Peter drew the short straw, a beautiful day for flying, only a minor bit of cloud about in the training area whilst airborne, best part, managed to take some pictures.

Completed my first Take Off today, RWY 25 departure, what a hoot!, Today's Lesson was all about Turning, there are 3 types of turns I have to learn,

(1) Gentle Turn < 30° (level, climbing,descending)

(2) Medium Turn 30° - 45° (level flight only)

(3) level flight only) 60° (evasive action & training only)

We did not do Steep Turns today, I will doing them a lot later on, Learning the turns was fun, finding that balance of aileron and rudder and applying the right amount of back pressure on the turns took me a couple of goes, but managed to nail it even to the point of getting the attitude, power and trim set right to have the plane enter into turns and fly itself

After we landed, Peter and I sat down for the debrief, received some really good feedback, a couple of processes I did in-flight need some work, just need to apply a little bit more patience and not rush through some of the steps, I now have 5.1 Hours under my belt now, as Peter states, I have a good understanding on the content of each lesson and its now all about putting that knowledge into practice, Next flight in 2 weeks, cant wait!

Thanks, Brent

Next Flight - Monday the 11th of April

Lesson 07: "Stalling"

877478991_2016-03-2807_55_03.jpg.8339c45c092464366f31d3fb2fd307b5.jpg

140399897_2016-03-2807_55_11.jpg.813ca84b9ad3cebf4ef3edfd1204d55d.jpg

1275852090_2016-03-2808_28_31.jpg.3d3764068d69de8eebd7a3e97d3e1379.jpg

354595816_2016-03-2808_28_36.jpg.8ac4e5218dcaac55358066fb85c24426.jpg

968840230_2016-03-2808_28_49.jpg.f7d510e0c949006c478191b359ce208a.jpg

• Like 3

Back at YRED this morning for Lesson 06 in the Tecnam. Its Easter Monday, so Wayne my regular instructor is having a day off, so Peter drew the short straw, a beautiful day for flying, only a minor bit of cloud about in the training area whilst airborne, best part, managed to take some pictures.

Well done Brent you are going well...yes we are starting to get into more stable weather now which is great, it was nice yesterday when I did some solo circuits in the SportStar....keep up the good work mate... 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

David

Hey Brent, Sounds like you're progressing well. Hey, congrats at getting her into the air all by yourself.

You will probably do your steep turns when you are nearing the completion of your pilot certificate, that's how it was for me. With Steep Turns, the stall speed increases dramatically, If I remember correctly the Tecnam stalls in landing configuration at about 35kts and 40kts with flaps retracted. I believe a 60' turn adds 80% to the stall speed, so for your Tecnam this would be around 65kts with flaps. With the flaps up, this stall speed would be around 75kts. You could see this could be rather potentially deadly shortly after takeoff and on approach, where you don't have altitude to recover if you stall. so typically you only do them in an emergency.

Tony

Great to hear you've had a successful lesson! I've also done turning recently, my instructor demonstrated a spiral dive if one were to not keep the aircraft balanced during a turn. Exhilarating.

Interesting??

• Agree 2

I believe the mark of a good steep turn is to fly through your own wake. Only managed to pull it off once. Doing my BFR in an old straight-wing Cherokee 140, out around Warragamba Dam. Bang! Wondered what the hell hit me. Then the instructor said "Well done. Flew through your own wake." I was pretty chuffed.

• Like 1

Guest Crezzi
I believe a 60' turn adds 80% to the stall speed, so for your Tecnam this would be around 65kts with flaps. With the flaps up, this stall speed would be around 75kts.

You might want to revise this with your instructor

Cheers

John

You might want to revise this with your instructorCheers

John

What would I need to revise? I was just pointing out that turns increase the stall speeds of aircraft, especially steep turns, it's in the curriculum, and in the POH. Do you disagree with this?Tony

You have the right principle nightmare but the numbers you quoted were just a smidge off if my memory serves me correctly.

I think that you multiply your stall speed by the square root of the load factor. So a balanced level 60 degree turn should be about 2g so that works out to stall speed multiplied by approx 1.4 or an increase of 40% not 80%

But small points aside congrats to the original poster!

Any mention of adding power for the extra airspeed (and drag)?. Try a figure 8? (or two). Look for traffic before doing any.Nev

He hasn't flown solo yet FH, or are you instructing the instructor?

If he is doing 60 degree turns I would think so already. It's about principles Turbs. Basic physics. It would be in any book worth having. To think of adding power in a turn would make airspeed awareness more acute . To not think of it is dangerous..Nev

If he is doing 60 degree turns I would think so already. It's about principles Turbs. Basic physics. It would be in any book worth having. To think of adding power in a turn would make airspeed awareness more acute . To not think of it is dangerous..Nev

He hasn't done steep turns yet - see post #1

Adding power is always a consideration in any turn. I'm not trying to take over the training, just emphasis the important points for general discussion. Power settings are mentioned. Stalls in turns are the most common cause of grief. Nev

Lesson 07: "Stalling"

Pay particular attention to this one and don't be afraid to practice it at a later date at a safe altitude once you get your head around it and your instructor is happy. Even practice it with an instructor if you need more confidence.

Making your recognition and actions instinctive could save your skin one day.

Good luck with your training!

002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif Hi All,

Thanks for all the congrats, and tips, just to correct a typo on my original post, completed Training on Turns 1 & 2, Steep Turns will be in my training later on

(1) Gentle Turn < 30° (level, climbing,descending)

(2) Medium Turn 30° - 45° (level flight only)

(3) Steep Turn. 60° (evasive action & training only)

Cheers, Brent 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

You have the right principle nightmare but the numbers you quoted were just a smidge off if my memory serves me correctly.I think that you multiply your stall speed by the square root of the load factor. So a balanced level 60 degree turn should be about 2g so that works out to stall speed multiplied by approx 1.4 or an increase of 40% not 80%

Oops! You're right about the %'s, don't know where I got 80% from 111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif