Hello from Wollongong

Hi guys,

Been checking out these terrific forums for a while now so about time I introduce myself :)

My name is Richard. I'm 41 years old from Wollongong. Started my PPL training 17 years ago but that came to end after about 30 hours in the cockpit due to finance, overseas travel, life etc. Always carried in the back of my mind the desire to get my pilots licence which brings me here today with this post.

Heading down to YWOL tomorrow to have a chat with the local training company NSWAIR about resuming my training. Hopefully back in the cockpit next week sometime and with some gopro footage to share with anybody that may be interested.

In the meantime, been busy reading through the BAK and flight training manual which means I'll be pestering all of you with heaps of questions :)

• Like 2

Chief pilot resigned and everything stopped. Heavily reported in the Illawarra Mercury about a month ago. I heard yesterday that the business has been sold to a new owner. No contact number for him yet but I saw the AP hangar doors open yesterday with aircraft static inside. C152 and Cherokee.

Aerial Patrol and an engineering business was caught up in the mess.

Alternatively there is an RAA ultralight school operating at YWOL with Alpha and Jabiru aircraft if youre interested in Rec flying.

Talked to instructor at NSWAIR and confirm everything you said JEM.

They have hired a new CFI but apparently he needs approval from CASA before he can start. I also learnt that all the Cessna 152's will be out of action for training for 3 months due to some maintenance issue (SIDS???) and possibly even for good. I can start training in their warrior but at $330 p/hr its way beyond what i was expecting.

Might have to consider the RAA route and make the transition over to GA at a later stage. Do you know anything about the RAA school at YWOL?

I can recommend Bruce. I also returned to flying after a long break , did have PPL . I also fly at Jaspers but you are limited to weekends. Liz is good . Jaspers use a Brumby , Bruce only has Jab's available at present.

I can't comment on the various operations noted above. My comment is about the $$$.

I was learning in a C-150L for a while, at $190/HR after driving for nearly three hours to the airport. That's three hours each way. I thought that was pretty extravagant.

If you can get one GA plane and one instructor at all for circa $330/hr, great! Nobody has appeared to mention it in this forum as far as I know but it has been "interesting" to get flight training in Canberra. This is not a reflection on providers past or present, just the state of play.

Now that the O-200 and O-235 powered GA fleet is pretty much timed-out, $350/hr is about average.

• Agree 1

Flight training at Kyneton Victoria with Mike, a really great instructor, is shown on their website

Dual: VH-ABW $270

Supervised Solo: VH-ABW $204

Dual: Own aircraft $110

Supervised Solo: Own aircraft $44

I'm not sure that these rates are current, as the website says Archived, but it would be worth checking.

ABW is a really clean and well-behaved C172 that has all SIDS completed. Some people come for a week or two from other states or overseas to complete an intensive training period.

Quality of training is a far more important consideration than distance to travel.

This comment is not meant as a reflection on anyone as I do not know any of the schools or fields down that way, it is however a point that I discovered when looking for a flying school.

Should put in a plug for Goulburn Aviation if you're after PPL or RPL - $280 per hour for the Warrior. They also do RA training in Goulburn but if you're after that then Bruce is closer.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just about to give my flying test for Recreational Pilot Certificate. Thought of doing the PPL at first but then decided to complete my training at a fraction of the cost by getting a Recreational Pilot Certificate and then swapping over to RPL from CASA, which is pretty straightforward. If you are interested in flying anything over 1500 kgs then go for PPL by taking extra lessons, as all your RAA flying hours towards a Recreational Pilot Certificate are counted.

Currently taking lessons in a Jabiru LSA (mini-Cessna) from John Taru (very easy going and the best flying instructor I have come across so far) at The Oaks (Dave's Flying School, near Camden) @ $150/hour :) - Say Anjum referred you and he will take good care of you!

No worries. By the way I live in Balgownie. I like John because he means business and took me into circuits from 2nd day onwards. I found him very focused and easy going. Also Bruce does not operate on Sundays but there are other instructors in his team who do Sundays. All the best with Bruce. Give my regards to Dave (CFI).

If it doesn't work out with Bruce then its good to know I've got a few other options :) However, I met up with Bruce this afternoon and was very impressed. He spent 2 hours with me answering all my questions and showing me his fleet of training aircraft. First lesson next Saturday in the Jabiru... cant wait.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Will be good when the Alpha is repaired. Only the Jabs operating at present. That Alpha is a very nice aircraft and my preferred choice. Have done quite a few hrs in the 230 Jab but for local stuff I like the Alpha. Good to see you are well on the way with Bruce, I also enjoy his instruction.

• Like 1