Why every aviator should act to swell AOPA membership

kaz3g

groan, why are AOPA still publishing information online in PDF format? You would think if they where serious about this being a reference for a significant change to aviation regulation they could at least put it into an online format with an abbreviated format for easy digesting.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what we would do without you, ft. An indigestible format can be a problem, I suppose, but the content is what matters, and what is attempting to be achieved by way of necessary change. Nev

• Like 1

groan, why are AOPA still publishing information online in PDF format? You would think if they where serious about this being a reference for a significant change to aviation regulation they could at least put it into an online format with an abbreviated format for easy digesting.

It seems what you want is an executive summary.

The issue of a PDF is neither here nor there in terms of readability. Do you want an unformatted text file or in some obscure format that is unreadable on most browsers or computers.

A PDF ticks all my boxes.

• Agree 1

There is no mention of support for RAA and I was told directly by the current AOPA CEO that they had no interest in RAA pilots or LSA aircraft. If they want members they better openly make a statement of support, I left AOPA when all the presidents were resigning because of the National Airspace Reform which started in 2003 and continued for a couple of years and they tried to drag RAA in then to pay to fight legal battles that were not RAAs to fight, there was a resignation from a RAA president at the time. Do you remember ?I shared a lot of info with AOPA in regard to the Jabiru issue and not even a response and when I chased it up he stated "AOPA HAD NO INTEREST IN RAA OR LSA AIRCRAFT"

Latest I read was Eureka mentioned Jabiru vs CASA

Would like to see it, thanks for posting.

I had a look, not really with RAA, not quite what I would like to see !

http://www.aopa.com.au/assets/587/Project_EUREKA_120416.pdf

Extract from Eureka document !

Jabiru Aircraft Restrictions

Because of a number of reported engine problems, CASA currently restricts Jabiru aircraft from flying over built up areas and this is having a devastating impact on the reputation of the manufacturer and impacting sales. The manufacturer claims the Australian engine problems relate to unsatisfactory local maintenance by aircraft owners since other countries which have different maintenance regulations to Australia are not reporting such problems and have not imposed such restrictions. CASA, in collaboration with both the manufacturer and the other overseas regulators, needs to determine whether the level of local owner engine maintenance is the source of the engine problems.

16. AOPA, in support of an Australian aircraft manufacturer, Jabiru Aircraft Pty Ltd recommends that CASA consult with the national regulators of the other countries where significant numbers of Jabiru aircraft operate, including New Zealand, South Africa, USA and Canada. If this proves to be a local engine maintenance problem, CASA and RAAus should look to alter engine maintenance regulations. In South Africa for example, engine maintenance is undertaken only by Licensed Engine Engineers. (See Section 10).

17. AOPA recommends CASA and the manufacturer implement a program whereby licensed engineers can inspect and lift restrictions on an individual aircraft basis for those aircraft deemed adequately owner maintained. This would allow flight by Jabiru aircraft over built up areas to be reinstated. (See Section 10).

This appears to be an example whereby CASA has focused solely on safety aspects with blanket restrictions but has not taken account of the commercial interests of the local manufacturer.

• Like 1

Reads awfully like they want another RAA advantage closed down.

So AOPA want harmonised medicals, no more self maintenence, privatised ASA........Im not seeing where they are helping

Evidence seems to say L2 and LAME maintained Jabiru aircraft have equal or more problems, majority of problems are with aircraft used on trainng.

Reads awfully like they want another RAA advantage closed down.So AOPA want harmonised medicals, no more self maintenence, privatised ASA........Im not seeing where they are helping

Evidence seems to say L2 and LAME maintained Jabiru aircraft have equal or more problems, majority of problems are with aircraft used on trainng.

AOPA seems to be supporting LAME's not RAA ! To me the simplest way is for Casa and ATSB to stay out of the whole sport and recreational aviation and concentrate on the commercial side of aviation ! Let RAA manage its own affairs. AOPA had no time for RAA, LSA and me and that was clear ! I DO NOT WANT TO BE FORCED TO USE LAMES AS IT IS GAME OVER AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED ! Once again AOPA are not doing what people want only what a few want !

• Agree 3

My personal view, not that of RAAus, is that an approach like this to the Federal Government is highly warranted abd if anything long overdue. However, Rather than go one out, AOPA might have marshalled all the support available for a well argued case. If AOPA wanted support from RAAus would it not have been prudent to seek the support before publishing? With just a few relatively minor (to AOPA) changes, support from all aviation bodies could have been available from day 1.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I was merely observing that in the AOPA world there are no Jabirus, not even VH ones and the RAA reg planes are the 2nd class citizens. What they put on their Facebook feed really does reflects their biases.

I'm wondering what you mean by "in the AOPA world". Do you mean in the AOPA membership? Or as far as AOPA is concerned Jabirus don't exist?

I've been a member of AOPA for more than a decade and I don't recall having been asked what aircraft I have - maybe I was way back but clearly I'm not asked any more.

There is no requirement to own an aircraft to be in AOPA so there are probably many pilots who fly a jab. I had a quick look on their website and didn't see a search-able register so how do you know. As I'm sure you are aware I have a Jabiru and so do two mates who are also in AOPA.

there are a 100 PDFs on the AOPA website no one knows or cares about, in six months time this will be another one of them unless the AOPA use it as a vehicle to make aviation an election issue.

Tamworth meeting dropped almost without notice, this is the only reference to it I could find

http://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/story/3843342/flight-risk-dick-smith-warning-ill-support-windsor/?cs=157

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-14/aviation-industry-on-brink-of-collapse/7326348

these sort of news items pass through the news cycle every day never to be heard ever again. You really have to work a lot harder these days to keep people's attention.

I skimmed the documents, all I want to know is how much the AOPA reckons deregulating the aviation industry will save pilots every year. Are we talking thousands, hundreds?

Cessna SIDS is costing a bomb - but I can't engage in a debate about actual need.

In the face of its own stupidity CASA will probably ban Rotax engines to remove any pressure to lift the constraint on Jabiru and therefore look very, very silly.

There are no "Jabiru" drones, but the principle still applies .How do you prove your action produces a result? ( or that it didn't)..Jabiru's were supposed to be raining down on the people. Nev

Or,If they lift the restrictions, and there is another serious incident, then they may become liable for lifting the restrictions.

Depends who defines the serious accident ! Maybe another flat tyre or faulty radio ! ONE THING PROVED WITHOUT DOUBT ! CASA CAN NOT PRODUCE THE TRUTH AND TWIST THE FACTS TO SUIT THEM , TOTALLY DISGUSTED WITH CASA ! Government ministers and departments are protecting this disgraceful government department ! Truly disgracefull !

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Changing the Culture of the CASA will take some doing. The legislation has to be changed first. The AOPA document addresses some of this. I hope someone runs with it, because something must be done. The knockers of AOPA here might suggest who else will do it if AOPA don't? Rather than reiterate some bitch they had with them in the past. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Changing the Culture of the CASA will take some doing. The legislation has to be changed first. The AOPA document addresses some of this. I hope someone runs with it, because something must be done. The knockers of AOPA here might suggest who else will do it if AOPA don't? Rather than reiterate some bitch they had with them in the past. Nev

AOPA would have been better to discuss the issues with RAA and get their support but they didn't ! AOPA blatantly said " they were not interested in RAA or LSA aircraft ! Read the AOPA document ! Not in RAA interest !

My point was WHO else is likely to do anything for the non airline( ie in for the sport or fun) sector? I don't believe AOPA are anti RAAus. If it did I wouldn't be a member, which I maintain at some cost. They give a discount for RAAus member ship, (as well as for a few other categories) Nev

• Like 2