Why every aviator should act to swell AOPA membership

kaz3g

AOPA is the only broad-based association for non RPT aviators that is independent of the sometimes not so subtle control maintained by CASA through its regulatory framework but its "voice" has been muffled in recent years by a significant fall in membership.

FactHunter has made numerous references to the benefit of membership and I want to add my support because I think the future of all recreational flying is at great risk due to the heavy metal focus of Government and Regulator alike.

If you own an aeroplane or fly regularly as a pilot, the cost of an AOPA membership is a small impost with lots of benefits including a brilliant glossy magazine and Internet newsletters.

Add to the membership numbers and strengthen the voice of this broad aviation lobby.

Kaz

An important message from AOPA Australia ...

Dear Member,

As you will be aware the board of AOPA commissioned a comprehensive briefing paper, Project Eureka, written by leading aviation industry figures detailing problems with the General Aviation industry and providing real solutions to these problems.

The paper is now complete, and will be available on the AOPA website next week.

AOPA President Marc De Stoop has prepared the following covering letter to the Minister for Major Projects, Territories and Local Government which summarises the recommendations made in Project Eureka.

AOPA will be meeting with the Minister and key advisors in the coming weeks, as well as circulating the executive summary to media outlets.

Please take the time to read this letter and familiarise yourself with the main changes we will be calling for in order to revitalise one of Australia’s most important industries.

It is vital that AOPA members support the board in getting Project Eureka as much traction as possible with politicians across the country.

Regards,

Aaron Stephenson - CEO

[email protected]

PDF Version HERE

Get social... Follow @aopa Australia on Twitter

Copyright © 2016 Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association of Australia All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association of Australia

PO Box 26

Georges Hall, NSW 2198

Australia

o.gif

• Agree 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a member of AOPA years ago and for very serious reasons I did not renew and there is no doubt in my mind from recent dealings with them that they are not interested in RAA at all.

But times change Camel and it looks like AOPA want us now. Kaz makes a good case in my opinion. I've never looked into it but I will now.

I know from experience ! They are a waste of time and money. Around 10 years ago members of AOPA left in droves including myself, very disappoint with their ideas. Now in the last 12 months I approached AOPA they said they are not interested in RAA, after supplying them info they said they would get back and they didn't I chased AOPA and they said straight out that they were not interested in RAA aircraft or pilots.

Things haven't changed as far as I'm concerned, all for the glory of a few, not for all !

• Informative 2

It is interesting to note from the Aircraft Movements graph that it is only recreational (ultralight) movements that have increased. There are many ex GA pilots among the recreational community now, me being one of them. We are all in this together and I believe AOPA deserves our support. Yes there has been that level of arrogance from some in the GA community but I think much of that has waned and RA is taken far more seriously especially given that the performance of many RA aircraft surpasses that of a large portion of the single engine GA fleet.

GA is not dying in NZ where they have a CAA system based on the US FAA system. I can wet hire a C172R or Cherokee Archer III from my old club for NZ$269.00 an hour & that includes 15% GST. That is about AUS$244.00. The cheapest here seems to be around the $350.00 an hour mark. Why is this? A lot of things are more expensive in NZ including Avgas & spare parts. It is largely the system that has caused the radical increase in costs and safety has not improved despite that being used as the lynchpin (or excuse) to every extra regulation devised. Not only that, it is the big stick culture that promises to punish you if you don't comply not provide encouragement to improve.

Will AOPA get a fair hearing? I don't know but is better to have a go than do nothing and we should all support that.

kg, I think you have addressed your own concerns.

GA is alive and well in NZ because for one, they haven't caught the SIDS virus.

Watch those AOPA graphs in a few years if CASA has it's ways and encourages the same out of Beech & Piper.

I have seen just how concerned the Govt is in letting the inevitable happen.

At the moment there is a flow from GA to RAA, so what is there to be gained by taking everybody back from the system they are escaping from.

AOPA is a product of where GA is now, so just let every thing go over the waterfall and leave RAA out of it.

The first thing I see in jumping into bed with them is..... Lames have no work......... Oh look a whole new fleet of aircraft........ lets make them be maintained by Lames.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Take a look at AOPAs response to the ministerial enquiry a couple of years back and you will see where their interests lay.

As a past member of AOPA I doubt that they will achieve what needs to be done to make aviation better. CASA completely ignores anything it doesn't like. That includes minister Truss and all the other ministers over the years who have dared to try and take CASA on.

What is needed is an uprising from all pilots and owners, to screw their local MP and all the ministers.

We may have agood time to do it soon if Malcolm calls a double dissolution. I predict that there is a good chance Labor could get up.

I agree that we should hold our local members responsible for things done by the government. This also applies if they are in opposition, because then they can offer bipartisan support for needed actions.

Which party has the best record of standing up to the bureaucrats I wonder.

• Informative 1

AOPA chummed up to it's "good buddy", CASA. It was very naive, and cost AOPA a large portion of it's membership, including myself.

Now, AOPA appears to be campaining for class 2 medicals for RAAus pilots. Refer to point 6 of their manifesto.

The current state of affairs is evidence that the association, started in the heady post war era, has, for whatever reason, failed.

Recommendation number 6 calls to 'harmonise medical certification between recreational and GA pilots.

Notice it's certification, implying someone else certificating your medical status...

I read that as "I can't get away without an expensive and time consuming medical, why can he?". "He should have to do it as well".

It is interesting to note from the Aircraft Movements graph that it is only recreational (ultralight) movements that have increased. There are many ex GA pilots among the recreational community now, me being one of them. We are all in this together and I believe AOPA deserves our support. Yes there has been that level of arrogance from some in the GA community but I think much of that has waned and RA is taken far more seriously especially given that the performance of many RA aircraft surpasses that of a large portion of the single engine GA fleet.GA is not dying in NZ where they have a CAA system based on the US FAA system. I can wet hire a C172R or Cherokee Archer III from my old club for NZ$269.00 an hour & that includes 15% GST. That is about AUS$244.00. The cheapest here seems to be around the $350.00 an hour mark. Why is this? A lot of things are more expensive in NZ including Avgas & spare parts. It is largely the system that has caused the radical increase in costs and safety has not improved despite that being used as the lynchpin (or excuse) to every extra regulation devised. Not only that, it is the big stick culture that promises to punish you if you don't comply not provide encouragement to improve.

Will AOPA get a fair hearing? I don't know but is better to have a go than do nothing and we should all support that.

GA here in NZ may not be in quite the sorry state it is in Oz, but most aero clubs are struggling - some have folded, others have merged with the local recreational (read microlight) club. Our club has 200 members and hires out its Tecnam for NZ$125.00 per hour. We have a second one on order and GA pilots are coming over in droves - particularly those who either have medical issues or have allowed their PPL's to lapse for other reasons, ie, financial. We can maintain our own aircraft, fly on a drivers license medical but still operate in controlled airspace with a transponder. The only limitations we have are VFR day operations only, and limited to 2 POB. CAA's involvement is generally limited to annual registration and initial inspection of new aircraft and we are working in that one too! Otherwise they pretty much leave us alone because we are controlled by our own body - RAANZ. Long may it continue.!

• Like 4

In NZ the SIDS requirements has culled a lot of Cessnas out and its only a matter of time for the other makes to catch on.

I had a C150 in the days when these were allowed to be maintained to a generic schedule but the CAA adopted the manufacturers manual which now means new seatbelts and landing light switches, all rubber hoses etc. every 5 years for most Cessnas plus SIDS as another layer on top of that plus the 'on condition' engine life extensions has been more severely limited. Glad I bailed before most of this happened - the precursor was the CAA imposistion of the ARA which added another $1500 layer to my 50 hrs a year hobby.

There are 3 organisations approved to 'run' microlights - they are Fly NZ (RNZAC), RAANZ and SAC and the actual rules of each organisation is slightly different but generally the requirements are interchangeable. Long may it continue the main threat to Part 103 operations is the influx of GA refugees / Porsche brigade who think everything should be the way they are used to "glass cockpits and ADSB for all" without realising that many entered this category for the freedom of building / maintaining our own planes when the regulations were written for a class of aircraft with low inertia characteristics, no commercial operations activity.

• Like 1

I think if people read what AOPA is trying to achieve and understood it, some of the paranoia might dissipate.

They are wanting a recreational environment similar to what is now happening in the USA, including the abandonment of the Australian Class 2 medical in favour of a genuine driver licence medical replacement.

I got out of AOPA for a long time when things between it and CASA were far too cosy and the Board was dominated by high end and heavy metal flyers. It is much more of a broad church now and it's prepared to stand on toes to get the pollies to listen.

Mark Skidmore resigned his AOPA membership today so one might surmise he is expecting some revelations to be aired and more than a little flack following them.

Kaz

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

If you go and have a look at their Facebook photo feedhttps://www.facebook.com/AircraftOwnersAndPilotsAssociationAustralia/photos

More N reg planes than RAA ones and not a single Jabiru 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

I don't use FB but I scrolled through the the photos and it seemed to me thAt the great majority of them were VH registered...I didn't actually see an N registered one. But so what???

There has been a change in management with significant changes in the way they do business; a bit like RAAus. They have a new President and are taking a new direction.

Like every aviation association, AOPA is always looking for contributors to its magazine. Perhaps some of you here could send them some copy so that the wider aviation community could learn more about the recreational activities you enjoy?

Even you, FT!

Kaz

• Like 1

I think if people read what AOPA is trying to achieve and understood it, some of the paranoia might dissipate.They are wanting a recreational environment similar to what is now happening in the USA, including the abandonment of the Australian Class 2 medical in favour of a genuine driver licence medical replacement.

I got out of AOPA for a long time when things between it and CASA were far too cosy and the Board was dominated by high end and heavy metal flyers. It is much more of a broad church now and it's prepared to stand on toes to get the pollies to listen.

Mark Skidmore resigned his AOPA membership today so one might surmise he is expecting some revelations to be aired and more than a little flack following them.

Kaz

There is no mention of support for RAA and I was told directly by the current AOPA CEO that they had no interest in RAA pilots or LSA aircraft. If they want members they better openly make a statement of support, I left AOPA when all the presidents were resigning because of the National Airspace Reform which started in 2003 and continued for a couple of years and they tried to drag RAA in then to pay to fight legal battles that were not RAAs to fight, there was a resignation from a RAA president at the time. Do you remember ?

I shared a lot of info with AOPA in regard to the Jabiru issue and not even a response and when I chased it up he stated "AOPA HAD NO INTEREST IN RAA OR LSA AIRCRAFT"

If RAAus pilots and aircraft owners started joining AOPA their alleged limited sphere of interest would be bound to change.

How much support do you think the owner of a C172 facing SIDS costs would get from RAAus whether or not he or she was a member of the latter organisation?

My view is that we need to break down barriers, the "them" and "us" mentality that exists amongst recreational pilots based on what they fly instead of why they fly. The bureaucracy has successfully kept us all divided for decades and the only way we will ever have a real voice is if we have a united one.

Kaz

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

A fair call Kaz but the mentality that RAA planes are not real planes is alive and well in GA circles and have experienced it first hand but it doesn't work with me as I have a PPL and owned a C172 foe 9 years, I have owned 5 aircraft and guarantee I will never own a GA plane again unless it is under experimental and is maintained by me !

The idea of supporting AOPA would only be acceptable if they show their proper intentions to RAA members.

I'm sure a good number of RAA members previously held a valid PPL or restricted.

The majority of RAA knockers are less than capable pilots, have seen this first hand.

I'm afraid AOPA needs to make the first move to get support in my opinion.

• Like 1

I don't use FB but I scrolled through the the photos and it seemed to me thAt the great majority of them were VH registered...I didn't actually see an N registered one. But so what???There has been a change in management with significant changes in the way they do business; a bit like RAAus. They have a new President and are taking a new direction.

Like every aviation association, AOPA is always looking for contributors to its magazine. Perhaps some of you here could send them some copy so that the wider aviation community could learn more about the recreational activities you enjoy?

Even you, FT!

Kaz

I was merely observing that in the AOPA world there are no Jabirus, not even VH ones and the RAA reg planes are the 2nd class citizens. What they put on their Facebook feed really does reflects their biases.

Husband and I are both members of AOPA, and have been for MANY years. We are members because AOPA is the only independent voice and lobbyist for all aviation. AOPA have had their ups & downs - true - but so have most other groups. I don't get any anti-RAA sentiment from them. Looking at the Dec/Jan 2016 magazine - on the cover is a RAA registered plane - there are photos of RAA registered planes on pages 4,5,9,39, article 42-45 and in the adverts & classifieds. There are over 15,000 VH registered aircraft vs 3,500 Ultralights so it is no wonder there are more VH pictures.

Oct/Nov 2015 (the magazine is two monthly) has a feature article on a new RAA registered plane (p.24-27). A feature on AusFly which was the SAAA & RAA do at Narramine (p.28-31), A Club with 60% home builts - corby, KR-2 etc (p.48-51). A feature on a single seat RAA taildragger & it's female designer, builder & pilot (p56-59). An article on pilot medicals which suggests the RAA model works well. In addition every magazine includes articles of interest to most RAA pilots - products, airmanship, fly-ins, governance, etc.

They cover the full range of aviation - Drones, RAA, GA, warbirds, helicopters, gliders, balloons, antique aircraft, medicals, builds, airstrips, travel destinations, Aero Clubs, regulations, and more.

AOPA have assisted me with

• several attempts by Councils to either close, or change an airstrip (perm or temp) to drag racing, infringe the area with buildings or blindly accept a "consultant's" report that it should be closed as unsafe when it actually met CAAP requirements for a non RPT.

• Moving AvMed when my medical was held up for no apparent reason for months (thank goodness for the RAA driver's medical)

• Advocating for the freedoms I now enjoy.

Reading their letter to the Minister, I was impressed with the level of research and innovative thinking. This won't get tossed to CASA to draft a "standard" reply. This may well be a turning point for aviation in Australia. If not, there will be less flying planes, less pilots (RAA was declining too) and less ALAs.

Get with them.

Sue

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

Recommendation number 6 calls to 'harmonise medical certification between recreational and GA pilots.Notice it's certification, implying someone else certificating your medical status...

I read that as "I can't get away without an expensive and time consuming medical, why can he?". "He should have to do it as well".

I read that as "RAA cert holders only need fitness to drive a motor car - the same should apply to RPL and PPL"

• Agree 1

I know from experience ! They are a waste of time and money. Around 10 years ago members of AOPA left in droves including myself, very disappoint with their ideas. Now in the last 12 months I approached AOPA they said they are not interested in RAA, after supplying them info they said they would get back and they didn't I chased AOPA and they said straight out that they were not interested in RAA aircraft or pilots.Things haven't changed as far as I'm concerned, all for the glory of a few, not for all !

Hmm, interesting. Get in touch with Spencer Ferrier - he is a board member of AOPA, he has had some involvement with RAA over the board shenanigans a couple of years ago, he is involved in the re-write of our constitution and, from his attendance at the Special GM, probably a member of RAA.

• Agree 2

Some interesting viewpoints above. I've seen many bumps in AOPA's progress since I joined it as a PPL in 1963. I'm still a member, (#6150) but have also been a member of SAAA for 20 years,and RAAus for 12 years. I've often disagreed with AOPA policy, and have often vented my frustrations in letters,emails to them. Can't say that any changes resulted, but at least I felt it was contributing. But, as a group, we owners and pilots don't project sufficiently via the more general media - we tend to gripe and vent- our- spleens upon fellow travellers. How many of you wrote to the Australian in support of GAs' concerns over the CASA area frequency/multicom fiasco - on which there was an article in last Fridays' Australian 'aviation section'? If the Australian was bombarded with letters from real pilots, flying real aircraft, and in recent times - then it would trigger a lot more journalistic activity. There is a direct positive correlation between expressed public concern and media interest. Pollies hate being criticised in the daily press, and that's the soft underbelly we need to attack. Get to it! happy days

• Like 3
  • Agree 1