Emergency Landing Liverpool Golf Course

Also, if it is a Jab (or similar) HOW are you going to open the door while still flying?

Many years ago I had a wolf-whistle for the girls fitted to my car which worked from the engine manifold, and was operated by pulling a wire which passed through the firewall. Maybe this could help?043_duck_for_cover.gif.77707e15ee173cd2f19de72f97e5ca3b.gif

Many years ago I had a wolf-whistle for the girls fitted to my car which worked from the engine manifold, and was operated by pulling a wire which passed through the firewall. Maybe this could help?043_duck_for_cover.gif.77707e15ee173cd2f19de72f97e5ca3b.gif

Please excuse my ignorance, but I have to ask:

which worked from the engine manifold

So HOW will this work with a EFATO?

Someone has to ask.

• Haha 1

Well......... I shall hold judgement on that.

If you climb out of an airport, and get to 1000 feet and have an engine failure, pulling the wire isn't really going to make much difference for the people on the GROUND.

What am I missing?

If you are talking about JUST after take off, then it is a whole different kettle.

Most planes don't turn back (don't go there asking) and so go ahead.

Vis, people in that area will be used to planes going over.

On the given example, the planes USUALLY take off making a lot of noise. This becomes normal.

So, if you are in that area, and are hearing a plane taking off and suddenly it stops or splutters, I think you would notice the "deviation from the normal" and look.

But what do I know?

• Helpful 1

In an engine failure situation any pilot trying to find a horn switch, wire to pull or window latch to shout "fore" out of is far more likely to botch the emergency situation, stall and spin in. Keep it simple guys. Airspeed, Landing Area, Restart, secure the engine/aircraft. (or whatever version of this you have been taught)

Do you think that the glider pilot in the video posted on this site a few days ago would have handled the situation as well as he did if he was reaching for a horn?

In 99% of forced landings it won't be an issue Nobody and I agree that that method is perfect BUT if you have to do a forced landing on a busy beach for example then I think trying to dodge people would be more hazardous than flicking a switch so that they can dodge you.

Obviously not the sort of thing you want to be fiddling with on a very late final but I still think it could have a place. Of course it will be AFTER the aviate step but if put in with the communicate part (the least important step!) I think it would be fine.

Those bicycle air horns work well.

I had one on a mtn bike.

wonder if they would burst at altitude

If landing on busy golf course , probably should try to approach from the hole end. They will see you coming then.

• Like 2

Just clip a tree on the way down, I'm sure they will hear you coming, as if we are going to have time to toot a horn, I'm sure there will be more important things to concentrate on than finding the thing and blowing it

Maybe all light aircraft manufactures can fit whistles on the airframe, you won't hear them while the engine is running but you might when it's silent

Pipe dreams

• Agree 2

as if we are going to have time to toot a horn

How long does it take to toot a horn?

If there a people in the way would you not find 2 seconds to push a button to save their lives?

How long does it take to toot a horn?If there a people in the way would you not find 2 seconds to push a button to save their lives?

If there was a nice red horn button installed somewhere in the panel that might be feasible to do

But having a can a compressed air horn can floating around in the back seat/ luggage compartment then trying to find it wouldn't be feasible unless of course you want to spend all your flying life with the can between your legs, then you have the issue of opening a window/ canopy still while trying to maintain control

In the history of aviation the amount of people killed by an aircraft hitting them is minute compared to the amount of pilots losing control in an emergency situation

Each to their own opinion I guess

IF your engine's out you should concentrate on landing safely as the absolute priority. You would be better checking things like seat belt fastened and TIGHT. This is a bit of a brain fart. You don't know where animals will go when you startle them. Not much point at blowing it at height I would think and you are losing height pretty fast . Don't bend the plane and injure yourself. It may ignite so think about getting out of it quickly. Nev

If there was a nice red horn button installed somewhere in the panel that might be feasible to doBut having a can a compressed air horn can floating around in the back seat/ luggage compartment then trying to find it wouldn't be feasible unless of course you want to spend all your flying life with the can between your legs, then you have the issue of opening a window/ canopy still while trying to maintain control

In the history of aviation the amount of people killed by an aircraft hitting them is minute compared to the amount of pilots losing control in an emergency situation

Each to their own opinion I guess

Having a horn between your legs could be distracting when flying.