Emergency Landing Liverpool Golf Course

Ultralight plane the Daily Telegraph says

Hmmm looks like a Piper Warrior or Archer to me but what would I know .

Media needs to get someone involved in aviation to make the reports

• Agree 1

Ultralight plane the Daily Telegraph saysHmmm looks like a Piper Warrior or Archer to me but what would I know .

Media needs to get someone involved in aviation to make the reports

The article did get it right. A Piper Cherokee

Don't play golf but I think it is out of bounds

Out of bound is whit stakes with black top

Red stakes = lateral water hazard.

5 options if ball enters.

1. Play ball from inside hazard

2. Play another ball from the spot where the original ball was played

3. drop a ball on a line formed by hole and hazard entry point, as far back from entry point as you like no nearer hole

4 . drop within 2 club lengths of hazard entry point no nearer hole

5. Drop within 2 club lenghths on a point opposite side of hazard and equidistant from hole

all except 1. incur a shot penalty.

In the case of the aircraft in the water.

If a player decides he can play the ball from in the water hazard and the aircraft was obstructing the players stance / swing there would be no relief . [no free drop]

This is because there is no relief from immovable obstructions in water hazards. there would be relief anywhere else on the course. [ ie free drop ]

If the player with reasonable help could move the aircraft to play his shot ,he could treat the aircraft as a movable obstruction ,move it play the ball. no penalty

072_teacher.gif.7912536ad0b89695f6408008328df571.gif064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

• Like 2

Yup, ATSB have it as VH-TAK, a Warrior which suffered efato out of Bankstown. According to witnesses they put it down on the fairway but couldn't stop before encountering the water hazard. Glad everyone got out unscathed, urban airports often don't offer very attractive forced landing options.

It's a shame to see that aircraft gone, it was probably the nicest warrior I have ever flown, and had really nice avionics in it too. Glad to see everyone made it out alive though. Hopefully TAK sees the skies again one day

Yea! just fill up most of the green bits around airports with money making factory units, as directed by the boofhead bean-counters, and it could be a much sadder story.033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

So much for privatization of small airports:thumb down:.

So glad this had a good outcome for PIC & PAX.

• Agree 1

How would golfers notice an aircraft gliding in with engine stopped? Are there any super loud, super light klaxons around?

yep. can buy from a safety shop. maybe even Bunnings. this would be a good idea for crowded beach landings too.

I recall a story not long ago where a child was killed and others injured during an emergency landing on a beach somewhere.

a $15 air horn may have been the difference. I will definitely have one in or installed in my aircraft when I build it.

might be handy to move stubborn wildlife on strips too

• Informative 1

Golf courses are very handy for forced landings. There should be more of them available. Being in fresh water is much better than salt for the future of the aircraft repairs. Nev

yep. can buy from a safety shop. maybe even Bunnings. this would be a good idea for crowded beach landings too.I recall a story not long ago where a child was killed and others injured during an emergency landing on a beach somewhere.

a $15 air horn may have been the difference. I will definitely have one in or installed in my aircraft when I build it.

might be handy to move stubborn wildlife on strips too

I've often thought some sort of horn would be useful to clear kangaroos & birds from outback strips on a preliminary fly past prior to landing.

Has anyone done this? If so, is it effective, or do the kangaroos just lay about without moving?

I have a siren mounted underneath and it is very effective at moving Roos off strips:thumb up:

I think they are a good idea, although in my case if I lost battery power it wouldn't work but for a simple engine out it would be fine.

Having said that it is NOT lightweight.

Those air horns are extremely loud:yes: but I'm not sure how loud they would be if deployed from inside a cockpit? If there was a way to flush mount the horn part to the outer skin (preferably the floor I guess) so that the sound was all outside then they should work:thumb up:

As long as it wasn't too complicated to use! because in a efato landing on a golf course or an engine out on a 500ft beach run you don't want anything taking your concentration off your flying, you want a button easy to get at and press and forget so that you don't have to fiddle around looking and as good as those air horns are you don't want to have to hold the button in for your last 100 feet.

Surely it wouldn't be too hard to rig one up so that it was just a toggle switch, I guess with a bit of work you could remote mount it in the engine bay?

Good points, SD. The attraction of the aerosol horn is lightness (and price). It doesn't need much duration.

I'm hoping to mount it facing down, beside the spinner, with a tube back thru the firewall. I could then mount the can next to my leg; a similar setup to my fire extinguisher.

The issue is: can I rig up a reliable extension tube?

If that is the case you could nearly manufacture one yourself.

You obviously need the horn and then you could use some light weight air hose (similar to what trucks use these days for their airlines through their cabs) to pipe it back into the cab and then you could just have a gate valve style tap to a pressure bottle. You may need some form of limiter so that the discharge lasted a suitable period and not just a 2 second screech but otherwise I think that would be fine:thumb up:

Just a couple of thoughts......

I get the "simplicity" part mentioned earlier. EFATO can be problematic. The last thing you need are more things complicating landing the plane safely.

There was the compressed air can powered horn.

and there was the suggestion of the Jaycar horn option. But that too has problems.

Here is my take on the whole thing.

- The compressed air can is nice, but can itself be problematic. If the can gets old, it can go BOOM! I think back to a story I read in a mag' (I think) and a guy was flying with bags of chips in the plane. At altitude, they went BANG! Scared the poo out of the pilot.

- The electric option was mentioned but people were saying if the battery is flat, or other problems, it won't work.

- The Hand pumped option seems the most simple, but has problems itself. It is ANOTHER thing the pilot needs to do, and so the workload is increased.

I don't have any magic answers, but to me there is no simple answer.

Under the cabin is the best place (for sound dispersal) for the horn, but then there are DRAG issues.

Putting a hole in the floor and mounting the horn inside is good/better, but what about RENTAL PLANES? I am sure the owner would not like you drilling a hole in the floor.

Carrying a can/horn is ok too, as it is portable. But again: It requires extra work from the pilot to DEPLOY the alarm. Also, if it is a Jab (or similar) HOW are you going to open the door while still flying?

• Informative 1