Dyn Aero canopy open in flight

Published on 9 Jul 2016

This was filmed from my cockpit at a very popular fly in recently as I awaited my turn to line up. I asked the permission of the pilot of the crashed aeroplane before posting this clip.

A Tiger Moth had crashed on takeoff earlier and the AAIB closed the runway for several hours whilst an investigation was carried out. Several of us met up in the shade of my wing and passed the time talking about all things concerned with flying whilst patiently waiting for the runway to be opened. Eventually we were good to go but unfortunately, as you will see, the canopy was not properly secured on Tango Echo which directly caused the crash at the threshold.

I spoke to the pilot after the accident, a very experienced aviator, who explained that this was his first accident in 50 years of flying. We were relieved he was uninjured especially as he was one of the guys we were laughing and having a great social time with in the shade of our wing.

He later explained how badly the open canopy affected the airflow over the elevator that resulted in a high sink rate whilst his angle of attack voice alert was shouting at him to push push push. You will see from the slo mo just how open the canopy had become.

When all is said, he did a great job getting back on the ground and walking away from what could have been a far more serious accident. He did say he would install a fail safe for the canopy latches and fully intends getting Tango Echo back into the air.

If there is a lesson to be learned, it ought to be, check you've done your checks. Safe flying everyone.

It's a large canopy, but looking at the vid the elevators are not full back . Having a reserve lift or AoA indicator telling you to pole forward is not helpful either. If the canopy opens keep flying the plane, despite the noise buffeting or control feel. Extra drag needs more power. always. Nev

• Agree 1

Totally different aircraft (Lancair) - but this local "unlatched canopy" takeoff ended with a pilot fatality.

Investigation: AO-2013-158 - Canopy-related landing accident involving Lancair Legacy, VH-ALP, Geraldton Airport, WA on 18 September 2013

There's a section in the above listing numerous other unlatched canopy disasters and narrow escapes from disasters. Quite a number of the escapes were from recognising the canopy was unlatched and aborting the take-off.

Surely a simple "unlatched canopy" warning light and switch, would have solved the majority of the episodes?

There's a section in the above listing numerous other unlatched canopy disasters and narrow escapes from disasters.

Surely a simple "unlatched canopy" warning light and switch, would have solved the majority of the episodes?

Something I've noticed is how very different we all are in regard of our attention to basic matters of safety.

People have called me paranoid because the last thing I do before boarding is a final walk around. It allows me to notice anything I might have forgotten, and which I can't fix from within the cabin.

I have a similar 'hatches, harnesses, T&Ps and Outside', discipline which I cannot make myself ignore prior to taxiing. Boring, I readily admit, but it's a regimen that has served me well. What surprises me is how frequently I see people jump in and take off and if anyone's ever cheeky enough to broach the subject it's very robustly pointed out that checks had been done before the first flight of the day. How can you argue with that ...?

Those who have chosen to laugh at my 'paranoia' have mainly been those who had previously left off a fuel cap, took off with the other door unlatched, pitot covers still in place or similar - and the best was the young, new and invincible commercial pilot who had to return on a charter flight departure because he was dangling the tie-down chains!

The point being ... that if you don't have a personal culture of carefully checking everything and assuring yourself that all is well, then no amount of warning lights or alarms will always save you. The best relevant example I know of is that which I have posted here a few times - the fella who landed a Trinidad or Tobago in a valley with wheels up though proximity warnings were blaring for a long while beforehand.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Caution 1

Not the first Dyn-aero MCR to have a problem with an open canopy in flight. VH-SIP had its canopy open in flight and caused a severe forced landing in a field. Crew survived ok though and it's now back in the air.

Aircraft is owned in Western Australia but I think the accident occurred in Victoria.