So you think you can fly? RC skills

Litespeed

My father was a crop duster for 32 years and when he got started in RC he had a heck of a time bringing them home in one piece. To me it showed there is a art in it self to fly the models. and that was before the drone wave

Having been a traditional RC flyer of gliders, power planes and 3D Helicopters over the years that is good.

Did you notice the control surfaces employed in some of the manoeuvres in particular the nose down attitude.

Yes I agree that is very impressive hand eye coordination.

Why would you get a 3d helicopter and stuff about when you can do this?

I have invested more hours in learning to fly an RC heli than I did to get my PPL (and still cant fly it). What was done in that video is something that I would never be able to achieve in my lifetime!

Here is a period one from WW1-

Herr Baron Bruckmann demonstrates for the new recruits to the flying circus the maneuvers for fighting and survival.

This is a Huge scale DR1 Fokker at 65% and has a 800cc engine.

Yes you could probably get in a fly it.

• Like 1

I wonder at this type of "flying".

Firstly, it's not really "flying", is it? You couldn't make a real airplane do that, so apart from its entertainmanet value, it doesn't relate to flying as practiced by human beings or even birds for that matter.

Secondly, after seeing the advances in software that are applied to things like drones and helicopter models, I wonder how much of that performance was his personal skill and how much was software aided.

I admit, it is a very entertaining performance. One that leaves me wondering how it was achieved.

Here is a period one from WW1-Herr Baron Bruckmann demonstrates for the new recruits to the flying circus the maneuvers for fighting and survival.

Wow! how frustrating! Trailering a nice big 65% scale plane like that in, setting it up, and not being able to jump in it and take it for a fly and take in all the fantastic views! That's one of the downsides to the RC hobby.

I'll tell ya all what I find sad about RC flying. Here in the sticks of North Dakota persons seem more concerned about driving their John Deer tractor 082_scooter.gif.e6a62d295b0b59b8276038871473d864.gif then trying a new hobby. I have found it's a much better sport if there is some one to share it with. good_vs_evil.gif.3bae94f4ff210f03cc4bea87587f9a84.gif

Here is a period one from WW1-Herr Baron Bruckmann demonstrates for the new recruits to the flying circus the maneuvers for fighting and survival.

Wow! The landing speed looked like about 5Kts!

I wonder at this type of "flying".Firstly, it's not really "flying", is it? You couldn't make a real airplane do that, so apart from its entertainmanet value, it doesn't relate to flying as practiced by human beings or even birds for that matter.

Secondly, after seeing the advances in software that are applied to things like drones and helicopter models, I wonder how much of that performance was his personal skill and how much was software aided.

I admit, it is a very entertaining performance. One that leaves me wondering how it was achieved.

Hi Cscotthendry

I would have to disagree with you there mate, just because you aren't in it doesn't mean it's not flying! you still need a certain skill level to fly these thing. When we are in your planes, our view never changes ,stick left plane goes left and it never changes. In the models your view perspective changes constantly, so when I have the model coming at me everything is reversed when its coming at you inverted different again . Your eye hand coordination has to be spot on, I have no time to think.

When I have my F3 tornado swing wing rc ducted fan jet coming at me at well over 120km low level inverted !! IT is a massive rush I can tell you!!! sometimes it doesn't work out :{

As for your comment advanced software, the drones and stuff are for all the plebs, that's no RC flying we flying, the guys that fly these thing fly it for the enjoyment of stick and rudder flying, please don't for one minute that away for the skill level required for these things.

Cheers mate

Rick

PS . love your videos on youtube, keep them coming

• Agree 2