Pilot has landed safely at Archerfield Airport after having problems with landing gear.

I remember one of these International students, flying out of Bankstown, had the passenger's side canopy come open and the seatbelt whipped around and broke the windscreen. He carried out a successful emergency landing at Camden, right where the Australian version of "Top Gear" was filming fast laps on the main runway.

OME

I was listening to the ATC recording, and it appears archer tower noticed the failed gear. They had a second aircraft report on it.

Awesome effort on behalf of the pilot.

Not sure why the gear fell off though...

Very impressive management of the situation. Many experienced pilots would be hard pressed to perform so well.

After touchdown his control inputs continued to be spot on to hold the plane level for as long as possible - the opposite rudder and aileron is clearly visible in the video.

What I found particularly notable was that he was sufficiently on top of the situation to be able to shut the engine down while the plane was still in the groundloop, the airscrew stopped before the plane did.

Well done young man!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1

Very impressive management of the situation. Many experienced pilots would be hard pressed to perform so well.After touchdown his control inputs continued to be spot on to hold the plane level for as long as possible - the opposite rudder and aileron is clearly visible in the video.

What I found particularly notable was that he was sufficiently on top of the situation to be able to shut the engine down while the plane was still in the groundloop, the airscrew stopped before the plane did.

Well done young man!

I'm sure the decision not to use the asphalt will also limit damage done.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

That should be compulsory listening for all Student pilots.

That is about as good an emergency response from all concerned as I have heard.

It takes me back to my emergency and the professionalism shown by those on the ground in my case.

Nothing will make a student or low hour pilot feel better than listening to calm professional responses by everyone else on the network.

That goes for everyone on that clip. Well done to all concerned.

As I said That should be compulsory for all student pilots whether they fly into controlled airspace or not.

I just sat through it twice and to be honest it makes me feel good to know that there is such professionalism out there.

• Agree 2

I was listening to the ATC recording, and it appears archer tower noticed the failed gear. They had a second aircraft report on it.Awesome effort on behalf of the pilot.

Not sure why the gear fell off though...

The diecast aluminium scissor links on the PA-28 series aircraft are known for cracking at the upper (or lower) bolt holes. This almost happened to me around 1976.

And the wheel just falls out without the links. Important in pre flight inspection. Just watched that again. Good effort. Nev

Yep, the lower leg and wheel just falls out and hangs on the brake hose.

• Haha 1