Savannah kit content - parts list and size of sheet materials

rmorton

Evening all,

I had a very interesting visit to a local surface treatment factory today to see if they could alodine treat my future Savannah S kit. After a thorough explanation of the processes and a guided tour of the plant I am left with a problem of how to estimate the cost. They need a parts list and need to have the maximum size of the sheet skins. The tanks were 2.4m long about 20cm wide and 90cm deep. They can "multi dip but obviously that will cost more.

So my question is does anyone have a parts list and or drawings with dimensions of the sheet materials.

Some interesting thoughts from the list:

1: why dont we anodise our planes?

2: they recon that the treatment can easily be damaged so I guess it can only be left unpainted in enclosed areas

3: Primer and top coat can be applied directly

4: They had an environmentally friendly version so why does Alodine still exist

Interesting stuff.

Why dont you do it yourself?. Just make a wooden frame up and use a poly tarp as a liner then fill it with alodine and soak them yourself. Much cheaper and you have control over how much is done and when. The tank needs to be the size of your biggest sheet thats all. 3.4 mtr long by about 870 or so

• Like 2

Anodising is only a dye applied to an oxide formed on the surface electrically. Mainly for looks. All thin coats are subject to scratching abrading. Galvanic protection involves a sacrificial aspect of a more chemically active coating. Not easy with magnesium for instance where extensive chemical treatment is needed to passivate it. Nev

Why dont you do it yourself?. Just make a wooden frame up and use a poly tarp as a liner then fill it with alodine and soak them yourself. Much cheaper and you have control over how much is done and when. The tank needs to be the size of your biggest sheet thats all. 3.4 mtr long by about 870 or so

I may end up doing a bit of both. It is difficult to find alodine is one problem, Then there is the question of how to get rid of the waste. Small amounts I may get away with larger amounts no way. Otherwise there is this Prekote which seems to be a less polluting alternative, but as far as I can tell needs to have a primer to protect it.

Anodising is only a dye applied to an oxide formed on the surface electrically. Mainly for looks. All thin coats are subject to scratching abrading. Galvanic protection involves a sacrificial aspect of a more chemically active coating. Not easy with magnesium for instance where extensive chemical treatment is needed to passivate it. Nev

Long time since I studied materials. The chap explained that the oxide layer is porous and the dye effectively seals the surface, if no dye is used then the oxide can provide a very good key for painting. The ideal would be anodise the enclosed surfaces and paint the external, which isn't really practical, although it would look good :)

• 5 months later...
Savannah kit content - parts list and size of sheet materials -has anyone come up with a definitive parts list?

Definitive for which serial number? The parts in my kit will be quite different to the parts in yours when you get it. ICP have made many small changes in the last four years to the S model. The change to remove the throttle controls to the fixed portion of the dash and double width single piece extended tank covers(which I ordered with my kit) for instance were definite improvements right after my kit was shipped. The adjustable seats and corrugated fuel pipes not such and advantage.

Definitive for which serial number? The parts in my kit will be quite different to the parts in yours when you get it. ICP have made many small changes in the last four years to the S model. The change to remove the throttle controls to the fixed portion of the dash and double width single piece extended tank covers(which I ordered with my kit) for instance were definite improvements right after my kit was shipped. The adjustable seats and corrugated fuel pipes not such and advantage.

Steve, do we have instances of corrugated pipes failing on Savannahs???

I am thinking of swapping mine for hose in the wings before closing up & painting.

I used Skee's list to verify my kit content and added to the list...

The result is a mix with some mistakes and unclear points, due to different built years and kit options, like double steering

1. collum is my counting

2. is the part no

3. is the number of pc. needed

Savannah-Liste-1.pdf

Savannah-Liste-1.pdf

Savannah-Liste-1.pdf

I used Skee's list to verify my kit content and added to the list...The result is a mix with some mistakes and unclear points, due to different built years and kit options

I trust you will update it and pass it on to future builders?

• Agree 2

Steve, do we have instances of corrugated pipes failing on Savannahs???I am thinking of swapping mine for hose in the wings before closing up & painting.

Stainless steel work hardens too. I think I will avoid using it myself, when the time comes.

Stainless steel work hardens too. I think I will avoid using it myself, when the time comes.

My kit only had these pipes for coolant in about 1" size. They are good for travel past hot exhaust within the limits of their durability with vibration. I don't see any gain in using the small ones in the fuel system at all.