ICP wheel assembly

rmorton

Well I know I am doing this wrong by doing things out of order but I thought this would be an easy job and would save some space and prevent parts going astray!

I followed the instructions and drilled a new hole on the rim for the air valve 27mm from the edge. then I got the tire and tried to "slip it over the drilled half of the wheel, it goes maybe half way and then is completely stuck. Is there a "knack" to this? I tried washing up liquid but no luck. any advice welcome?

Woo Berringer are VERY nice indeed, however I can't afford them yet. I can see that with plenty of soap and force you could get one side on, but I can't see how the other half would pop out with just the pressure of the inner tube.

The std ICP rims and tyres are crap to fit. I have 600 x 6 tyres on mine..much easier to fit also better for our rough grass fields we fly on. never even tried to fit the ICP tyres but everyone says its a mission to do it

Mark

Well I know I am doing this wrong by doing things out of order but I thought this would be an easy job and would save some space and prevent parts going astray!I followed the instructions and drilled a new hole on the rim for the air valve 27mm from the edge. then I got the tire and tried to "slip it over the drilled half of the wheel, it goes maybe half way and then is completely stuck. Is there a "knack" to this? I tried washing up liquid but no luck. any advice welcome?

You reckon it's hard to seat the bead? Lube and air pressure does that easy.

What will bust your guts is trying to get it off. And if you take it to some ham fisted tyre shop bloke to break the bead you will get your rim back in pieces.

As Mark said, the condor and air track tyres fit and remove easier.

Cheers

Rick

Condors fell onto the rims, but still had to take care not to pinch the tube when doing up the bolt together rims. Tubes needed to be inflated just up to full shape to keep them from bulging into the joint before the bolts were tightened.

You reckon it's hard to seat the bead? Lube and air pressure does that easy.What will bust your guts is trying to get it off. And if you take it to some ham fisted tyre shop bloke to break the bead you will get your rim back in pieces.

As Mark said, the condor and air track tyres fit and remove easier.

Cheers

Rick

Thanks Rick

I was hoping that this would be the hardest bit! I will try proper tire lube and the press we have at work

i went to the wheel workshop and they helped me,, it needed some serious lube!,, in the end i changed my wheels to french quality Beringer wheels.[ATTACH=full]48045[/ATTACH]

How much did they cost? did you get the full brake set too?

• 5 months later...

How did you end up going with your tyres? I'm having the same issues trying to fit mine. Do you need special lube rather than soap? or did you go for other tyres?

Wll in the end I put them back on the shelf for another day. I will however try again soon as a friend of mine has proper tire lube and a tire press he uses for motorbike s. The idea is to warm the tires, loads of lube and a big lever on the press. I will let you know if it works....$

The std ICP rims and tyres are crap to fit. I have 600 x 6 tyres on mine..much easier to fit also better for our rough grass fields we fly on. never even tried to fit the ICP tyres but everyone says its a mission to do it

I ordered my kit with 600 x 6 tyres from ICP. I payed 250 euro extra and was told they would not only be bigger, but better quality. I can't say if this is true. because I have no expirience with tyres, I guess I will go to a car or bike tyre shop and ask for help.

I ordered my kit with 600 x 6 tyres from ICP. I payed 250 euro extra and was told they would not only be bigger, but better quality. I can't say if this is true. because I have no expirience with tyres, I guess I will go to a car or bike tyre shop and ask for help.

My kit came via Oz and I got the Condor 600 X 6 tyres.

They were no trouble to fit but what you don't do with them is drill the offset valve hole in the rim as per the manual.

The reason for this is that the Condor tyre has a thick bead where it meets the rim, which interferes with this offset valve position.

I know this because I did a classy job of drilling them, then a classy job of filling them up again, ending up back at the manufactured hole where the rim halves meet. Sigh...

• Like 1

Yes....

It is called Bob's Rule...

"No matter what they say, do not drill"

And it is a good rule... saved my ass more than once allready... ( e.g. tanks )

• Agree 1

Yes....It is called Bob's Rule...

"No matter what they say, do not drill"

And it is a good rule... saved my ass more than once allready... ( e.g. tanks )

In fairness to ICP: once you move away from the standard tyres, it's obviously up to the builder to sort out tyres/tubes/valve stems and how they fit together.

And had I read widely enough on this site, I would have realised that I should not be drilling for the Condor 600 X 6s...

And had I read widely enough on this site,

Yes this might easily be true. This side is so full of information, but sometimes it is hard to find what your looking for. Thats why I liked your summaries so much. Maybe ICP should hire you to rewrite the manual.

I have already drilled the offset holes as per the manual, so I guess I'm stuck with that. I took the tyres to a motor bike shop and they put the tyres on with a lot of lube and sweat but they only did one wheel. They think that the standard tube and valve may cause problems and friction on landing? Not sure if they can get a different tube and valve set up but will try. I have seen some right angle valves on one Savannah but again they weren't the standard kit tyre. Has any one using the standard tyre sourced different tubes?

Well tyres are on the rims thanks to a local motor bike shop. They even sourced new tubes with right angle valves. Save a lot of trouble getting them to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MajorTom,

Did you have any issues fitted the tyres that ICP supplied. I have just dug out the ones in my kit and they are the same as yours. I didn't order the 6.00x6 they were in the box. I was going to upgrade to the Condors but don't know if I will now.

Phil

Phil the std tyres are really a bit small . The condors or similar are better for the types of airfields we fly off which are a lot rougher than in Europe. The condors are easy to fit..everyone has trouble with the std tyres trying to fit them onto the rims. You can get a tube that you do not have to drill the rims