My Rant this week- So how's a brand new plane for 14 grand sound.

SSCBD

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you could alleviate most corrosion issues by edge sealing the honeycomb, but I'm still not convinced that it is a great way to go. Seems a little odd using aluminium honeycomb then using old tube spars rather than I beam, a bit like using carbon fibre to make some parts of a model T ford, and then calling it revolutionary.

0.012" skins are not going to be damage tolerant either. Remember that those skins are structural.

Yes M61A1 it is an unusual choice on the face of it and i would have thought a conventional fabricated beam spar would have been an easyer fitup due to the open nature of the composite end when cut.

I understand were James is design wise- he is trying to do the strongest and lightest at a budget, so compromises are made.

I am sure he has considered a normal spar but came back to just a newer development of his existing wing designs.

Tube spars are fine for this weight and do not rely on any construction from the builder, a bunch of rivets and epoxy is all that is needed.

Strength wise I would be pretty confident in the abilities of the Alloy honeycomb- the stuff is amazingly strong and light.

I do not know what skins he is going with for the outside but the ones he mentioned where for the honeycomb itself. And would be very resistant to damage. It may be a slightly heavier skin would be good outside for toughness- hate oilcanning.

Its abilities are similar to honeycomb carbon sandwich just a hell of a lot cheaper, a sheet of 8' x 4' is $50 locally for construction grade.

Aifrcraft grade skins would be more but would have to check its specs- their may not be a big difference as they are both a high end app for alloy.

They can also be done locally in any specs required in Brisbane, any facings wanted. And in the stuff can be made into 2 d curves and then made. It is also possible to do things like a elevator shape- the core is shaped first by cnc into a airfoil and then the skins attached.

But that is getting into a more expensive end of things.

Remember a lot of really fast aircraft and racing cars- like F1 used this stuff with great success, and it is still used in some.

Yes M61A1 it is an unusual choice on the face of it and i would have thought a conventional fabricated beam spar would have been an easyer fitup due to the open nature of the composite end when cut.

I think he has chosen this because it alloys a much larger gluing surface which is not just on a single side- a fair trade as bonding is the important thing.

And also as I said above, he has kept to the design he has developed in many other aircraft- simple to jig up, align and rivet/bond. Everything needed is made, just needs core sealing with light epoxy and flox for bonds.

I think James is onto a winner

but will that honeycomb last 20-30 years that an aircraft typically lasts?

I would expect it would if sealed and bonded correctly- and using the correct glues in manufacture. It should not be a issue unless it is a very highly loaded part and under a lot of high load cycles.

I think James is onto a winner

I almost went with AHC, cheap as chips over here, but it's too hard to work with and repair for the average guy.

Also while I trust aluminium bonding, not sure it's something that should be left to any idiot when it comes to wings.

0.012" skins are not going to be damage tolerant either.

It won't be a big problem, has a close knit support structure behind it, might pinhole easily though.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...