Stripping !!!!! Ok best way to strip paint on Alu

I have to strip a fair bit of paint off Mabel mainly the whole stab and elevator,fin and rudder also the cabin sides and front. Being aluminium I cant sand blast it as it will distort the outside and reshape the skins like peening. Caustic stripper isnt a good idea either as it can get into some of the gaps and seams..does anyone know of a non caustic/solvent way of getting the paint off around rivets etc on skins already painted.

Mark

Soda blasting will take ages and cost lots if done out in the open (not in a cabinet). I used an organic citrus based paint remover, it fried up the paint and after it was dry the paint could be easily dislodged with scotchbrite, the silver base with clear came off cleanly but the Red 2 pack was a bit messy. Unless you are really concerned about weight just scotchbrite the surface and overpaint it, ask Danny, thats what he did.

Tom

The paint on Mabel is pretty darn thick. I would be more comfortable getting it all off and repainting the whole aircraft properly. Remembering she is going to be a few kg's heavier due to the thicker sheet on the sides and wings. Spoke to Danny about it and he said the citrus stripper ..I have never used it and this paint looks like its all 2pack and its been pu on pretty thick

Mark

I used citra strip on my 701 none corrosive paint stripper painted it on with brush then wrapped it in glad wrap left it on for about an hour then pressure washed it off did a great job came back to nice clean aluminium.

• Like 2

I used Turco 5351 from Aerospace Materials Tullamarine, better known as the Yellow Peril. It is formulated to take Cessna paint off Cessna aluminium. Did a better job than the various hardware paint strippers, but very expensive, and must be shipped as dangerous goods. It turned up in its own lockable mesh cabinet sitting up like the queen. I had used it before when I worked for a LAME. Expensive, but it worked on very old paint and Denis Behan's experimental paint mix over the top of the original. Lifted the lot & washed off.

Sue

• Agree 1

The only things that will shift 2 pack are VOCs, heat and mechanical force. Time helps but you'd be dead waiting.

Brake fluid is a kind of mineral oil that boils at very high temperature but is still quite thin (e.g. the opposite of volatile) It is usually a mixture of glycols which is why it loves sucking up water

Turco also frizzes up brushes - use natural bristle - the synthetic ones look like an exceptionally Bad Hair day. Mark, I have some if you want to try it. Will have to check if it is in Springsure or on farm.