Anyone know about this one

looks to be a Rans S-17 Stinger ... there was once one provisionally registered 10-7944 in 2011... and the crashed aircraft reg seems to have the same 4 last digits.

One HOPES RAAus in their registration clean up they picked up that a Rans airframe was never entitled to 95.10 registration otherwise the police/coroners investigation might have some more questions for RAAus.

Glad he got out safe

looks to be a Rans S-17 Stinger ... there was once one provisionally registered 10-7944 in 2011... and the crashed aircraft reg seems to have the same 4 last digits.One HOPES RAAus in their registration clean up they picked up that a Rans airframe was never entitled to 95.10 registration otherwise the police/coroners investigation might have some more questions for RAAus.

Glad he got out safe

Hi Kasper,

Why can't the Rans S17 be registered under 95-10?

Hi Kasper,Why can't the Rans S17 be registered under 95-10?

No airframe coming out of a factory as an airframe or a kit after 1990 can be registered unless it is an approved kit ... and there are NO approved kits

Similarly - but much more slippery - no airframe built from plans can be registered under 95.10 unless there is an approved drawings and data package ... and there are NONE

RAAus have a very poor history in this century of actually understanding the requirements of 95.10 ... eg Airborne factory aircraft beeng 95.10 registered and if you google the RAAus register the last available online has MANY questionable 95.10 registrations.

Some got moved to 19- which is legit IF it could meet the homebuilt requirements or to 32- if its weightshift and they could meet those requirements for factory or kit (much boarder than 19- reg under 95.55)

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

No airframe coming out of a factory as an airframe or a kit after 1990 can be registered unless it is an approved kit ... and there are NO approved kitsSimilarly - but much more slippery - no airframe built from plans can be registered under 95.10 unless there is an approved drawings and data package ... and there are NONE

RAAus have a very poor history in this century of actually understanding the requirements of 95.10 ... eg Airborne factory aircraft beeng 95.10 registered and if you google the RAAus register the last available online has MANY questionable 95.10 registrations.

Some got moved to 19- which is legit IF it could meet the homebuilt requirements or to 32- if its weightshift and they could meet those requirements for factory or kit (much boarder than 19- reg under 95.55)

Cheers

Thanks Kasper, so what can be registered under 95-10?

Thanks Kasper, so what can be registered under 95-10?

new builds limited to self design and build 300kg MTOW single seater with minimum wing area limited to 30kg/m^2 at MTOW

There are a few squirrely little loopholes like annual serial group builders (think old time Tyro) but you have a completely free hand within that single seat envelope eg multi engine, jet, turboprop etc not all practical due to the MTOW and the limits of fuel BUT if you wanted to build a twin jet Horten IX with two large model engine jets you are completely free to do it within 95.10 ... and for reference the correct scale factor for the HO IX is 44.5% or a span of 24'6"

004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Like 1

Kasper that aircraft ( 10-7944)was wrtten off 31 Mar 2012.Crashed shortly after take offRebuilt?

Can't say. You cannot see the prefix on the crash video only the 4 reg numbers ... now back in 2011 you did not need to display the 10- if it was 95.10 reg so IF there are no leading 19- not visible then it appears to be still reg 95.10 ... hence by raised hand for RAAus on historically incorrectly registered airframes ... they say they cleaned everything up so hopefully there is a 19- not visible that shows this airframe was correctly registered in 2012 when it crashed

Because you have to remember this video is from 2012 not 2017

• Haha 1

2012? Well that makes more sense. Here I am thinking it just happened.

From ASN site:-

This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date: 31-MAR-2012

Time: 09:10 LT

Type: Rans S-17 Stinger

Owner/operator: Private

C/n / msn:

Fatalities: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 1

Other fatalities: 0

Airplane damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)

Location: Starke Field - YSKF, Woodstock, about 35km south of Townsville, QLD - VH.gif Australia

Phase: Initial climb

Nature: Private

Departure airport: YSKF

Destination airport: YSKF

Narrative:

A Rans S-17 Stinger ultralight crashed shortly after take off from Starke Field - YSKF, Woodstock, about 35km south of Townsville, QLD, into a tree due to an engine failure.

Sources:

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

No Cookies | Townsville Bulletin

http://m.news.com.au/QLD/fi993863.htm

• Informative 1

Can't say. You cannot see the prefix on the crash video only the 4 reg numbers ... now back in 2011 you did not need to display the 10- if it was 95.10 reg so IF there are no leading 19- not visible then it appears to be still reg 95.10 ... hence by raised hand for RAAus on historically incorrectly registered airframes ... they say they cleaned everything up so hopefully there is a 19- not visible that shows this airframe was correctly registered in 2012 when it crashedBecause you have to remember this video is from 2012 not 2017

I had to give you a funny because you mentioned Ra-Aus having cleaned everything up...

• Agree 1

I had to give you a funny because you mentioned Ra-Aus having cleaned everything up...

I've had a sherbet or two today (rainy day in the house) so I am being generous ...

Plus RAAus have their fingers and tendrils deeper into CASA ... just take a look at the current 2017 version of 95.10 where versions of Ops and Tech manuals have crept into the CAO ... I'm sure that they cleaned up everything left in the last 12mths ... last irregular 95.10 I KNOW registered incorrectly was still registered last year with 95.10 ...

• Agree 1

I've had a sherbet or two today (rainy day in the house) so I am being generous ...Plus RAAus have their fingers and tendrils deeper into CASA ... just take a look at the current 2017 version of 95.10 where versions of Ops and Tech manuals have crept into the CAO ... I'm sure that they cleaned up everything left in the last 12mths ... last irregular 95.10 I KNOW registered incorrectly was still registered last year with 95.10 ...

So there are no longer any C150 Aerobats on the register? Are you sure?

So there are no longer any C150 Aerobats on the register? Are you sure?

I only take interest in the 95.10 as I've two of those and I've had arguments with Raa tech on both of them over the past 10+ years.

Indeed you might find another big argument with them coming on one of mine as I did not build it ... their drafting of the tech manual to make mods subject to them on 95.10 will likely end with me continuing to mod mine as I like and wait for them to realise their words are not applicable to 95.10 on a legal construction. Their loss not consulting - they lost the previous three times on mine so let's see if they want to continue the loosing streak.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1