Angled Instruments

BirdDog

If there was no reference to say where the instrument was, how could the bad guys possibly prove anything, and why on earth would they be interested anyway?

So Turbs, I reckon the risk is zero if you kept it quiet and didn't provoke anybody.

• Winner 1

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there was no reference to say where the instrument was, how could the bad guys possibly prove anything, and why on earth would they be interested anyway?So Turbs, I reckon the risk is zero if you kept it quiet and didn't provoke anybody.

Until something goes wrong. Ref my earlier comment regarding a cabin fire from having pulled the wiring too tight, for example. Let's say that after illegally moving the instrument you had a cabin fire, which, incidentally, had nothing to do with the changes you made. Unfortunately, in your hurry to get the plane on the ground with a cockpit full of smoke, you ran into a ditch and the crumpled side of the footwell cost your passenger their foot. Ordinarily your insurance would pay but the insurance company also has pretty thorough forensic investigators they call 'loss adjusters' who very easily find a few internet images showing the panel arranged differently from the crashed aircraft. A quick check with the manufacturer will reveal serial numbers of aircraft with specific panel set-outs and hey presto, you're busted and charged for having flown an illegal aircraft and the insurance company refuses to pay for anything.

Now your pax will have to sue you for a mill or two. I think that's a good reason to not mess with an aircraft that you don't have the right to. That's why I've always built my own, like you Bruce, I don't like the restrictions placed on what I can do.

Another problem, even if you didn't have any problems with the aircraft after you made those changes, I think it very unlikely that you would change it back to standard before selling it. The next thing you know, the purchaser discovers it's not legal so he wants his money back and compensation for the hassles you've caused him. Or - he keeps quiet about it and then has a prang that's all his fault but then cites the changes you made as being the cause of his crash. He didn't have insurance but now it's nice and convenient for him to sue you for the loss of the plane and the injuries he received.

If you know anything about Court process and costs, even if their suit was unsuccessful, and you showed that he had been flying the plane quite safely as it was, it would still cost you double what the plane was ever worth in legal fees which you'd be unlikely to recover, given that it would have been demonstrated that you'd committed an illegal act in making the changes, and also sought to defraud in making the sale - AND it would cost you a very stressful year or three of your life.

Not worth the risk, I reckon.

It's all good lads. Like I said, Evektor are coming to the party. I have spoken with them and the Authorisation should be with me next week. :)

I agree with illegal mods - just frustrating - hence why I have gone to Evektor.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

SO... I am now a happy boy! Evektor came through with the LOA and RAA are happy. I have had the Tach installed and happy as a pig in sh%t. Having the Tach right in front of me is SO much easier to manage, and the entire flying experience is way better that trying to see the Tach on the right side.

A little costly, but I think it was way worth it.

rpm.jpg.2ad2827eec08e8ab2f3f25f7bb759aa2.jpg

Head in the clouds, your fears are exactly what we need to fight against. In a way you are right, in a bigger way you are so afraid of imaginary consequences that you must be paralysed.

Well, so I am right and I am wrong? I guess it's good to know where you stand on this ...

And, umm - Paralysed? I've spent a lifetime flying helicopters and planes, I have a yacht and a powerboat and a 4WD and for thirty-five years I've been using some or all of them running explorations into some of the world's remotest regions - without ever having a mishap. Yup, you must be right, that's one hell of a paralysis I'm suffering.

I don't have imaginary fears Bruce. Over the years I've seen so many avoidable tragedies and near disasters happen, and they're often caused by people meddling with things they don't know enough about. I have absolutely no problem with suitably skilled people doing whatever they want, my only concerns are inept people who put other unsuspecting peoples' lives at risk when they tinker with things they don't know enough about.

Far from 'needing to fight against' me, if you knew a little more about me you would know that I was one of the first to begin and maintain the fight to uphold our right to build and modify our own planes; starting from the first days when the AUF was formed and 'rules' began to be introduced - but it needs to be done right with appropriate knowledge and skill or people get hurt and these days litigation always follows. And that hurts all of us. Why should I have my rights and privileges affected or curtailed just because some untrained, unskilled johnny-come-lately thinks he has the right to mess about with things he would be better staying well away from?

"A Perfect Safety Record Is No Accident"

For the record - I am not one to support the meddling with aircraft by people who have no idea what they are doing. I just wished the process for my simple Tach install, could have been a bit easier.

Anyways - Short term pain, long term gain, and now I am very happy with my bird.

Sorry HIC, we actually agree more than I thought. I stand for educated owner-maintenance too. In fact I organized an RAAus maintenance school once, with Steve Bell as the main attraction. I would like to see owners who had completed a proper training course allowed to do their own annuals. This would have to include hands-on training, so would be a bigger deal than the thing I did. Of course, prior knowledge should be respected, so not everybody would have to learn how to torque up a bolt for example.

But I also take the risk of flying passengers in my kit-built Jabiru, knowing full well that as the owner, the builder and the pilot, there would be no escaping legal liability. There are people who think I am crazy to fly a passenger, but I say that if you are going to live your life in fear of litigation then you are effectively paralysed and you may as well stay in bed.

Mind you, the risk is not very high if you have good maintenance, good weather and good terrain. There are many greater risks we live with every day, like getting cancer.

Slightly off-topic, but I was once peeking inside a helicopter at Echuca, and the engine instruments looked like they'd been thrown at the panel - nothing was straight, with some instruments up to 45 degrees rotated. It all became clear when I asked the pilot about this; at normal pressures & temps, all the needles should point straight up. This allowed a much quicker check on P's&T's.mal

Maybe that could be a solution for the OP? Apparently some military aircraft did this and I’ve seen it in old English sports cars. Is rotating the gauge considered modification? You’d only have to make sure there is enough wiring slack

I "Dabble a little" Have No qualifications,

"I would like to see owners who had completed a proper training course allowed to do their own annuals."

So, who will train me to cut a crankcase in half to build a 1/2 VW motor, Plus calving an appropriate prop for said prop after "lofting the design" on the floor, to build electronic bit & pieces, welding, painting and all the rest "skills" required

to maintain personal cars boats house, And the proverbial home built aircraft. (I'm a wannabe mechanic, from before Certificates were mandatory.

spacesailor

"Carving an appropriate prop for said engine "

That's been missed by "spellcheck

And who trains a single seat home-build pilot, Then New pilot has to fly, an unflown, very short coupled aircraft.

spacesailor