Need an airfield close to Sth Brisbane

I may need to do some travelling to see a sick sister in the Beenleigh/Logan area SE of Brisbane.

Is there an RAAus-friendly field near there? I've found Boonah, Kagaru and Aratula nearby, but know nothing about them. I'd like somewhere I can safely leave my baby overnight.

Flying my plane there would be mobs faster than driving or going commercial (I'd have to drive 3 hrs to the airport) but I need to do plenty of planning, never having crossed Cunninghams Gap or ventured that close to a big city.

Any advice appreciated.

It's certainly the closest, but problem is how the "Heck" are you going to get from there to Beenleigh?

You're landing in the middle of nothing but reeds, cane and swamp for miles around.

• Like 1

It's certainly the closest, but problem is how the "Heck" are you going to get from there to Beenleigh?You're landing in the middle of nothing but reeds, cane and swamp for miles around.

Uber

Or talk to some friendly locals on here. There are plenty of them.

• Like 1

It's certainly the closest, but problem is how the "Heck" are you going to get from there to Beenleigh?You're landing in the middle of nothing but reeds, cane and swamp for miles around.

No problem, Bex. I've already had offers to collect me from the airfield, both from this forum and my 'lations in the area. I'm amazed at how many offers of help I received, so soon after my post.

Awesome people, awesome site!

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

There is at least 1 commercial option flying direct from tamworth to Brisbane now Old K but I haven't priced them! It might be cheaper to fly to Sydney and then back to Brisbane? It would definitely be cheaper to fly Newcastle to Brisbane but further to get there by car.

None of those options are as fun and fulfilling as flying yourself though! But worth considering if time/weather becomes a problem.

• Like 1

We've flown Jetstar from NCT to BNE; the airport's not far from our kid's place.

I might have to travel a few times, so a road trip to reconnoiter the self- fly option is firming as favourite.

I'm blown away by the responses and offers of help. Thanks people!

• Like 1

If you are going through Cunningham's Gap, you need to consider that if Amberley Airspace is active, 4,500' will be your maximum altitude crossing East to Boonah. Other options to the East that will avoid Amberley Airspace are Teviot Gap(between Mt Superbus and Wilson's Peak), the gap next door between Wilson's Peak and Mt Barney - both of which will take you past Maroon Dam, and the gap between Mt Barney and Mt Lindesay.

When you are getting close, you can now easily check NAIPS for Amberley weather as the ATIS is now listed as well. If it is information Z(Zulu) - tower is closed, restricted areas are de-active and you are good to go higher if you like.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, Possum1. I'll hit Google Earth and plan a route. Via Warwick is my preferred route, because I've flown there before and can get fuel (unless the bowser is playing up again).

I'm also tempted to go thru via Stanthorpe and fly up the valley I grew up in (my moniker) over Woodenbong and thru the Mt Lindesay gap. I've been away for forty years and would love to fly thru home territory, but I need to find perfect weather and a fair number of flat paddocks.

• Like 1

No worries Old Koreelah. I have flown between Archerfield and Stanthorpe about 6 times per year for the last 20 years and I always have weather alternative routes across these mountains. There is one useful gap to the north of Cunningham's Gap that I have used and 3-4 gaps to the south-east over to Mount Superbus. These all have roughly parallel valleys leading up to them from the direction of Warwick. In less than ideal weather I try to be flexible about which route I take and it helps if Amberley is de-active as it is one less thing to worry about.

On a windy but clear day, I go as high as I can. At 7,500 ft, the crossing can often be quite smooth.

The gap via Mt Lindesay is the lowest of them all but is such a detour that I have not used it for many years. Also the cloud base is often lower and showers tend to build up over there to the East along the MacPherson Range towards the Gold Coast.

• Like 1