Wood thicknesser?

rtfm

Hi guys,

I'm in Brisbane. I need to thickness some Hoop Pine, and am looking for a local company which can do this for me. The amount of wood is fairly small:

7 pieces of 1200 x 42 x 19 to be planed down to 1200 x 30 x 15

1 piece of 1200 x 42 x 19 to be planed down to 1200 x 32 x 15

2 pieces of 1200 x 42 x 8 to be planed down to 1200 x 30 x 6

Does anyone know where I can get this done locally?

Regards,

Duncan

Join the Woodwork Forums, I'm sure one of the blokes there would be pleased to help out on a small thicknessing job - and you will very likely find that bloke is only a few suburbs away.

Most of the older woodwork blokes are sick of making pens anyway, and like to get their teeth into something a bit more substantial.

There was a business out near Archerfield (Coopers Plains I think) that had woodworking machines and you could go in there and use them for an hourly fee. I'm not sure if it's still going and sadly, I can't remember the name.

• 2 weeks later...

My first thought when I looked at this post originally was why bother. the sizes of the existing timber and the finished sizes would be easily ontained by using a saw. Hand or power. Pine is dead easy to saw straight and I reckon I could do all that by hand in a couple of hours with a hand saw and touch up with a hand plane.

To get a good glue joint it is usually considered best to have a freshly finished piece of timber, ie trim it to final size just before applying the glue.

That Aldi tool looks good and a good price, will probably work well for this sort of job.

I have a couple of thicknessers (dont ask, but one is portable, one is a 4 post 15") and I am in Brisbane. Also have a thickness sander. I saw this post the other night and thought you may have already had it sorted. Yell out if you still need to do it. Stuck overseas at the moment, but should be back tomorrow all going well. Probably wont get to check the forum till about the 5th.

I have a couple of thicknessers (dont ask, but one is portable, one is a 4 post 15") and I am in Brisbane. Also have a thickness sander. I saw this post the other night and thought you may have already had it sorted. Yell out if you still need to do it. Stuck overseas at the moment, but should be back tomorrow all going well. Probably wont get to check the forum till about the 5th.

Hi,

Thanks for the offer. I joined the local Men's Shed, who have a really impressive wood shop - including thicknesser, various saws, routers, and so on. Plus on-hand technical help to make sure I know how to use the tools.

Cheers,

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

A proper thicknesser weighs a ton and is noisy.. You can always saw it and then sand or plane (jointer) a bit off for finish or use a hand plane. Have you learned how to spot faults in timber? For aircraft you don't want any. It's not just the type of wood. It can have "shakes" or the wrong grain which will make it unsuitable..Nev

Hi,Thanks for the offer. I joined the local Men's Shed, who have a really impressive wood shop - including thicknesser, various saws, routers, and so on. Plus on-hand technical help to make sure I know how to use the tools.

Cheers,

Duncan

Good stuff. Mens sheds are usually well equipped.

Woodworking is one of my past times, hence the reason I have a heap of machines!

• 2 weeks later...