Accident at Gympie

A touch and go where you don't slow down much after touchdown doesn't use much more runway than a normal take off. IF you come to a halt and then start a take off roll, from 1/2 way down you are breaking a fairly fundamental rule for Light aircraft. There are times with takeoffs and landings going wrong, that you just have to cut the power and wear where you end up (ride it out). It that point you are probably going to crash, to some extent. Your decision is what speed you do it at. If you are airborne you must by definition be at above stall speed and you must have control of the plane. If still on the ground you should be below stall speed ( Mostly).. You can't always do a go round safely. In some circumstances it must be done early or not at all. Analyse your aerodrome and the prevailing conditions and the surroundings before you land or take off.. Nev

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A touch and go where you don't slow down much after touchdown doesn't use much more runway than a normal take off. IF you come to a halt and then start a take off roll, from 1/2 way down you are breaking a fairly fundamental rule for Light aircraft. There are times with takeoffs and landings going wrong, that you just have to cut the power and wear where you end up (ride it out). It that point you are probably going to crash, to some extent. Your decision is what speed you do it at. If you are airborne you must by definition be at above stall speed and you must have control of the plane. If still on the ground you should be below stall speed ( Mostly).. You can't always do a go round safely. In some circumstances it must be done early or not at all. Analyse your aerodrome and the prevailing conditions and the surroundings before you land or take off.. Nev

I don't disagree with anything you say, but it always makes me nervous when we talk about complex physical actions which included a primary course of action, tempered by a delicate touch, affected by the stage of what's happening etc. These are things where you need to be in an aircraft.

It's hard to know . Sometimes people get fixated on a "one only "course of action. Getting airborne again safely may not be possible from some recovery situations. People need to consider the whole picture. "situational awareness" is what do you have going for you and what you don't have going for you.. None of what I post here is from someone's book.. A slow ground loop is better than flying into a tree or fence out of control.. Nev

reading the report it sounds like he's pitched back without building airspeed, which is very easy thing to do, and then tried to correct the change of direction without reducing the AOA. all happening pretty quickly and the muscles tense up

• 3 weeks later...

during my training (Drifter) I was taught to focus on the chosen landing point and during the flare, look up along the runway towards where you are intending to go

that would not have helped this poor young bloke, he was in a world of trouble from the point of the first bounce - that was the time to decide to go to full throttle but it all went wrong so quickly (as it always does)

there's a hell of a lot of damage to that aircraft, he was lucky to limp away - hope his instructor gets him back on the horse asap

my first solo (attempt) ended up with me ground looping the Drifter at full throttle off the runway an into a crop - a lot of reasons why that happened added up to the incident

one of the first things that was said to me was "you're not the first, and you won't be the last" - I soloed the next weekend and it was textbook apart from a small bounce on landing......

BP