Airframe Mounted EPIRB Actually Works

I'm currently looking at a SPOT tracker....... Not bad value for what you get over an EPIRB I think, for worldwide coverage,,,,  http://pivotel.com.au/spot.php .

About $300 AUD per year for a subscription....

They claim 5 000 rescues... https://au.findmespot.com/en/spotemergency/     Quite an interesting read, some of them. 

I wonder if you could carry one of these instead of an EPIRB.....

OzRunways is now developed enough to take some market share from SPOT.

Apparently, they have impressed the Canberra centre by, in at least one case, reporting the identity and exact location of a downed aircraft before a distress call has been sent.

OzRunways is now developed enough to take some market share from SPOT.Apparently, they have impressed the Canberra centre by, in at least one case, reporting the identity and exact location of a downed aircraft before a distress call has been sent.

Good to see AMSA looking at Ozrunway data...... The limitation is the mobile phone data system. SPOT is satellite based.

Perhaps future developments would see Ozrunways / Avplan partner with, or develop their own satellite system........

http://pivotel.com.au/spot.php[/url] .About $300 AUD per year for a subscription....

They claim 5 000 rescues... https://au.findmespot.com/en/spotemergency/     Quite an interesting read, some of them. 

I wonder if you could carry one of these instead of an EPIRB.....

I've just bought one.  No they don't take the place legally instead of an EPIRB.  But think will be really useful.  The SPOT's work when there is no cellular coverage so a major plus.

I've just bought one.  No they don't take the place legally instead of an EPIRB.  But think will be really useful.  The SPOT's work when there is no cellular coverage so a major plus.

If your flying by yourself who's going to know...  unless it is needed.

.... Have a competition motorcyclist here (Dakar Finke etc..) who wears one on his arm especially when practicing alone.

Every time I fall off a bike I tend to hit arm first. I dont know the chaps set up though mounted on the arm sounds a bit dubious.

EPIRB is a mounted piece of equipment, required on GA aircraft. Most of us use a PLB, which is not mounted on the plane and can be used anywhere. I carry mine when bushwalking sometimes. It is legal to use a PLB in an RAAus plane instead of an EPIRB.

A PLB is legal to be used in an Experimental GA plane.

Flying Binghi[/url] :Every time I fall off a bike I tend to hit arm first. I dont know the chaps set up though mounted on the arm sounds a bit dubious. "As this man does it professionally on the World stage.. he "Probably"' has a smidgen more experience than most in what works

Well, if he's a good rider he probably ain't fallen off yet and got to test it out.. 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

I contacted AMSA for their opinion on SPOT...... I received an interesting and informative answer, below.

Thank-you for your enquiry.

1)    SPOT Devices and Compliance with COSPAS-SARSAT

The SPOT device is not compliant with Cospas-Sarsat and does not meet carriage requirements under CASA as a replacement to a 406 MHz PLB.

2)    Use of non-COSPAS-SARSAT Devices (as a means of emergency)

First and foremost, AMSA advocates that verbal communication should be attempted first.  Therefore, we recommend that a satellite phone as a first safety product.  Two way radio/satellite communications is the most effective means of communication, with some of the reasons outlined below:

a)    Instant confirmation that the call has been received by emergency services;

b)    Ability to communicate position, nature of distress, required assistance;

c)    Emergency services can adequately scale response assets according to required assistance;

d)    Ability to provide updates on the situation and also receive advice until emergency services arrive.

AMSA also recommends that radio/satellite communications are carried in conjunction with another device in case the phone method does not work.  There are a range of products on the market and AMSA recommends you assess and compare the performance and expectations of the various products, which are suited to the specific conditions for which it is required.  As a start, below is a comparison of the distress alerting device (406 MHz distress beacon) and the SPOT device.

406 MHz distress beacon

If your objective is to purchase a distress alerting device then a properly registered 406 MHz distress beacon equipped with GPS is the best SAR alerting device apart from two way radio/satellite communications.  If a 406 MHz Distress Beacon is activated in Australia, then under normal circumstances the RCC will receive the alert within several minutes, identify and contact the registered owner in distress and/or the designated emergency contact, and coordinate the response as the specific incident requires.  The RCC has direct access to the Cospas-Sarsat beacon detection system. The 406 MHz distress beacons also transmit a homing frequency on 121.5 MHz (International Aviation Distress Frequency) in which commercial aircraft monitor and is also utilised for final homing of the beacon and person/s in distress.

SPOT device

If your objective is to purchase a tracking device to assist relatives to identify your position then SPOT appears to be a good tracking device with an auxiliary alerting feature using the Global Star satellite system (not Cospas-Sarsat). If you press the '911'  or 'SOS' distress button the alert is sent to SPOT (IERCC), a privately owned company located in Texas USA.  AMSA relies upon the IERCC to contact AMSA to provide the registered owner details and position report in order to coordinate the search & rescue response.  AMSA does not have access to the SPOT system.   Also, unlike a 406 beacon SPOT does not have a homing signal so we rely upon the position details provided by SPOT and any updated position reports.  When the IERCC receive initial notification of an active SPOT device they attempt to call the registered owner or emergency contact first.  Once they validate a true distress and not a false activation they will then contact AMSA if the distress location is identified in the Australian SAR region.  The time in which the IERCC contact AMSA and provide the registered details can average 30mins to 1hr. 

The other significant difference between a 406 MHz distress beacon and SPOT is that 406 MHz distress beacons are tested and comply not only with an international standard but also each country’s National standard.  There is no technical standard that SPOT has been tested or approved against, as it doesn’t exist as of yet.  There is no Australian Standard for this product to be approved against.  In the international SAR industry it has been suggested that an international standard should be developed to ensure all similar devices like this conform to an agreed standard.

I recommend you read the Cospas-Sarsat website for details on how the system operates and statistics “As of December 2015 the Cospas-Sarsat System had provided assistance in rescuing at least 41,750 persons in over 11,788 SAR events”.  www.cospas-sarsat.int

I hope this is helpful to you.  Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further assistance.

SPOT and EPIRB each use different satellite systems. I carry both, good insurance. SPOT has the option of levels of urgency. I have "All is well", "Stranded and need assistance but not injured", "Injured need assistance ASP",  directed by text and email to friends who could organize suitable assistance. Wouldn't always need to a helicopter..... Then SPOT also has the option of calling the cavalry just as the EPIRB does, in which case I would would trigger both devices. Good insurance.

SPOT and EPIRB each use different satellite systems. I carry both, good insurance.

Me too. I use my SPOT more generally as well. If only a passenger on MH370 had a SPOT with tracking activated (frequent automatic routine messages).

SPOT and EPIRB each use different satellite systems. I carry both, good insurance. SPOT has the option of levels of urgency. I have "All is well", "Stranded and need assistance but not injured", "Injured need assistance ASP",  directed by text and email to friends who could organize suitable assistance. Wouldn't always need to a helicopter..... Then SPOT also has the option of calling the cavalry just as the EPIRB does, in which case I would would trigger both devices. Good insurance.

Good idea, JG. Lots of us would hesitate to trigger our PLB if the noise stops. Who wants to call out the cavalry for nothing? We should be able to land safely.

Trouble is, if we prang and are incapacitated, no automatic distress message is sent.

With Spot and OzRunways, people should be able to track you down.

the idea of an EPIRB is that it will automaticaly trigger if you have a crash, so in that respect it is better than a PLB, which you have to activate.

I probably take the record for flying with the most tracking/rescue devices:

GPS enabled PLB, SPOT tracker, Portable VHF radio, OzRunways, AvPlan, ADSB-out transponder, & Apple’s “find my phone”!!

Now I just have to hope that anybody would want to find me

I probably take the record for flying with the most tracking/rescue devices:GPS enabled PLB, SPOT tracker, Portable VHF radio, OzRunways, AvPlan, ADSB-out transponder, & Apple’s “find my phone”!!

Now I just have to hope that anybody would want to find me

Have you considered therapy?