What to buy?

Kiter

Hi all,

After a few years off, I returned to flying last year and now I’m retired, I’m looking to buy something that doesn’t break the bank too much.

I’m PPL, and also a RAAus member as I got a Powered Parachute certificate (great fun, but limited application).

I expect to fly VFR daytime and am happy avoiding controlled airspace. I’d consider a PA-28, but I’m also open to a two-seater, so LSA might be the go...I want to be able to cruise at at least 110 knots for around four hours with a carrying capacity (excluding fuel) of 180kg, so that’s likely to rule a few out. I have no interest in aerobatics!

I went for a spin in a RV7A & loved it, but may be a bit pricy...I could probably talk the accountant into spending $70k.

Looking forward to suggestions.

• Winner 1

Thanks for the responses so far...I am not a DIY person, so I'm looking for something that is flyable. I'm aware that owning a aircraft isn't cheap!

Thanks for the responses so far...I am not a DIY person, so I'm looking for something that is flyable. I'm aware that owning a aircraft isn't cheap!

G'day Kiter,

quite a few J230's ( Jabiru ) available on the market at the moment

Hmmm.110 kts.... and 70 grand? Maybe a second hand Sportstar off the top of my head? A good all round, easy to handle aircraft.

Earlier ones had fuse based fuel tanks with about 60 litres. Limited range so are cheaper. Down to $50 G. Best to look for wing-tank based ones. Price will probably depend on total hours and tbo hrs on the Rotax.

Some of the other european aircraft will out perfom it but are more expensive, such as the CTSW...

There are two Arion Lightning’s available in SA on the market for $75k. They have a higher cruise than 110ktas and should meet the rest of your criteria.

Go to YYWG and take a TIS in a machine with the wing in your hands where you feel the wind moving, and airspeed is a sound not a number on a dial. Try a trike. Just excellent fun and such a buzz.

I did 3 hours in a trike and it was fun, but not for me.

There is a lovely Typhoon at Grafton for $35K. Owned by a meticulous L2 and flying instructor called Peter Clement.

0412 505252