Another jab down...pilot said the engine just stopped

In every endorsement I've done  on multi's the pass mark for fuel management was 100%. I wonder why that is? . Well I don't really wonder but it's pretty uncool to smash a perfectly serviceable plane because you weren't careful with your fuel load/ monitoring /management.. People run out of fuel on freeways too. THAT should be a $400 fine. You do affect other people. I know one so called pilot, who ran out of fuel doing circuits..

You NEVER "HAVE" to take off really, but you surely must land (or crash) once you are in the AIR.

Some fuel systems are quite complex and place significant limitations on how you operate. Some fuel may become unavailable (tip tanks in a Twin Commanche when no electrics so use FIRST and many allow air into the system if you run the tank dry. You also have lateral balance limits, and I like to land and take off with ALL tanks selected or at least stick to a rule that makes what you do the safest option. Ie "Prove" a tank if you have altered the selection  prior to a take off or flight over built up  special areas  Bays, large lakes etc. Nev

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... force the fuel down the fuel feed lines between the tanks and the collector tank; remembering that the displaced air needs to go up these same lines...

I am going to change the vent setup so the air in the collector tank bleeds off via a dedicated line and that should / may prevent this situation of slow delivery of fuel into the collector tank...

Bluey I'm pleased to see you plan to vent your collector tank. Before I installed a vent in mine, it took a worryingly long time for fuel to get thru to a stopped engine. I've leaned that the fuel tank vents and where they are located are a very important part of any system.

I rely on a second-hand fuel flow meter I bought from Maj. Millard. He warned that it may not be reliable, but over ten years it has averaged less than 5% error.

Bluey I'm pleased to see you plan to vent your collector tank. Before I installed a vent in mine, it took a worryingly long time for fuel to get thru to a stopped engine. I've leaned that the fuel tank vents and where they are located are a very important part of any system.

I rely on a second-hand fuel flow meter I bought from Maj. Millard. He warned that it may not be reliable, but over ten years it has averaged less than 5% error.

Thanks O K planning to 'T' the feeds from the tanks in via one collector entry and then use the other as vent line to a 'T' at the top sight tube connection at the tank.  Then see how it goes.  Cheers

I once knew a very religious pilot. He never swore, nor looked at wild women, went to church very regularly. Areal paragon, but when he bought a two seater and gave me a lift I realised why he was so enamoured with god.

• Haha 1

When I built my aircraft I installed 2 wing tanks along with the standard fuselage tank. I then started adding fuel 5 litres at a time and recording the result on a sheet and photographing the fuel gauge. The main tank which was supposed to take 95 litres actually took 100 litres to the absolute top. The tank has a sump that holds about 4 litres & the gauge didn't move even after adding 15 litres. It was just off empty after 20 litres and 1/8 full after 25 litres when in theory it should have shown 1/4 full. 1/4 was 35 litres & so the inaccuracy continued when it showed full at 95 litres & 100 litres. I made a calibrated dipstick about 400mm long & also did the same with each 35 litre wing tank. The wing tanks pump into the main tank with an auxiliary electric fuel pump. It takes 27 minutes to transfer 20 litres, 56 minutes for the whole tank.

The only time I know how much fuel I have is when my aircraft is parked on the level & I dip the tanks. In the air the gauge (main tank only) becomes inaccurate with attitude & bank angle etc as you would expect so I use it as a rough guide only, preferring my fuel burn mental calculation to work out what I have left. On a recent flight the gauge was showing empty but I knew I had at least 45 minutes left (I don't work on the new 30 minute reserve requirement). I landed put the plane away & the gauge went up to 1/8 full. When I dipped the tank it showed 24 litres. That was the last flight before my 50 hourly & annual. I drained the tank to check for possible crap in it & also I was fitting a new fuel filter & it filled my 20 litre container almost to the top. When I fill that container at the pump it takes 24.38 litres to the filler neck. Anyone who believes a fuel gauge has rocks in their head.

• Like 2

You would need to ensure you empty each tank completely in flight and not leave some in it that you could need later. Having gauges reading so erroneous a figure must be disconcerting, as it's always possible that you might have a flooding carbureter or a leak somewhere and actually be low on fuel.. As I've mentioned a few times in a "Lighty," I only like/trust the sight gauge type and be familiar with it 's readings at different attitudes( 3 point and level flight). By lowering a wing you can see the different level and  observe the fuel slosh around which does give you some extra feeling of knowing what's really going on.. Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

When the Facet fuel pump starts pumping air it makes quite a racket which I can hear above the sound of the engine with my headset on. That and the time it takes is a pretty good indication there is nothing left in that tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi O K I did the change to the fuel system today; just need to replace a short length of 3/8 hose that connects the reducer with new piece tomorrow afternoon.  Would like to fit in a fly by Thursday as away visiting family over weekend so no chance to fly for a week and a half.  Looking forward to seeing it in operation.  I can already see the fuel rushes down through the filters.   Ross flew down during the build a few years back and I would have liked to have had him on board for some flights.  A great guy went too soon. Cheers Mike

• Like 1