HOW TO FLY - No Really!

Space, on behalf of Australia I hereby apologize that the system failed you so badly. Gosh that school you went to is out of a horror show.

I was supposed to grow up anti-catholic. Instead, I felt sorry for the kids who went to the catholic school because of this clearly insane sister who used a length of electric flex to whip the kids.

Yet there were some really nice nuns who tried to make up for this sister...  anyway, to this day I have good mates who are  Catholics but the excesses of the likes of Pell never took me by surprise.

Space, I reckon you went to a worse place than the system should have allowed.  I hope they don't allow that sort of stuff these days.

• Agree 1

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

". I can't agree with the criticism of ALL formal education. Good education teaches you to question all that is in front of you (or should)."

YES 

I agree,  I've skipped my school & went to my brother's school, & sat in the doorway fascinated by the lesson being taught.

Never lasted long enough to get an education. 

But how can an Illiterate beat the System & get that yearned for certificate, when the examiner causes dread,

I never could go to my daughter's schools, the panic starts as soon as I get on the premises.

SO never passed a driving test, But had it awarded after the fail, ( even spelt my Four digit name wrong.(I answered all the questions after the test.))

spacesailor

Good education teaches you to question all that is in front of you (or should). "Tertiary" education is hopefully at THAT level  or it's not aspiring to what it should. You need the BASICs in all things to participate in what comes later when your extra knowledge makes more sense of it all, and the "rote" style of learning is superseded by comprehension. You NEVER know it all.   It's a pity to kill off that passion by not having enough time to reply sensibly .Nev.

Very good points Nev.  Good education provides the foundations upon which all future learning is built, also called the basics or fundamentals.  While we agree on those points, it seems we aren't in agreement about modern education, which has changed since we went to school.  The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and the proof of the education system is in the end product.  It's been a constant complaint from employers and anyone whose role is to take the finished product of education and take it to the next level, that they are generally deficient in the basics, reading, writing, and arithmetic.  It's also been a constant complaint from parents that they can't relate to their kids anymore, which is blamed on the generation gap.   Youth's passion for learning has been steadily dimmed as the material they were supposed to learn made things harder, not easier, over time, requiring them to gain higher academic qualifications to be considered useful to society.  These are facts. 

Recently, at the school P&F, one of the topics discussed was the new Senior syllabus which is causing headaches for teachers and students alike.  Why it was changed, and why it makes no sense to teachers couldn't be answered, so rather than asking difficult questions, they chose to ignore the problem in the hope it will fix itself.  "They" the faceless experts in education, must know what they're doing....  and the surprising thing is they do.  The other surprising thing is that what they're aiming to achieve isn't what we assume it to be.  The result of the policy is the intended goal.  It's not a silly mistake.

The old adage "Knowledge is Power" is well known.  What's not so well known is that flawed knowledge firmly accepted is worse than ignorance, especially if the ignorant is aware of their ignorance.  Mark Twain said it in his usual style, "It ain't what we don't know that gets us into trouble, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so."   Hypothetically speaking, if you spent years of your life and lots of money and energy getting an education only to find at a much later point that most of it was subtly flawed based on your understanding of the basics, what would you do?  

Some places have that  but I can't see knowledge so stifled/filtered we can't get to the bottom of it, but give it time the way we are going and that's where we will be. . I was a secondary teacher and left not agreeing with the New way in 1965. My wife got out 2 years ago in special needs which is under paid and overworked.. I enjoyed teaching  but not the "system". Headmasters today have too much power over staff and send a lot of their time trying to find money. Too much to cover here.  People expect the schools to do EVERTHING. Parents are too busy to bother on average to make time available for their offsprings issues. Nev

People expect the schools to do EVERTHING

This is a big part of the problem. I was well on my way to reading and writing before starting primary school when I was barely five because I had parents who took the time.

I have endeavoured to do the same with my kids. I have always told them "If you can read, you can learn anything", even with the internet and mobile devices you still need to know how to read to get the information.

• Agree 1

But how can an Illiterate beat the System & get that yearned for certificate, when the examiner causes dread,

( even spelt my Four digit name wrong.(I answered all the questions after the test.)

Considering you couldn't spell your name right back then, you've done alright since.  Assuming you are typing your own posts...    

• Like 1

IF you are behind in Reading and Math and it's not corrected with remedial work you will be left behind more and more. Some kids have no home environment conducive to doing any extra work, Some of the stories I have been told (by them) of their home environment would literally make your hair curl. Poor bug**s have little hope. Nev

Some places have that  but I can't see knowledge so stifled/filtered we can't get to the bottom of it, but give it time the way we are going and that's where we will be. . I was a secondary teacher and left not agreeing with the New way in 1965. My wife got out 2 years ago in special needs which is under paid and overworked.. I enjoyed teaching  but not the "system". Headmasters today have too much power over staff and send a lot of their time trying to find money. Too much to cover here.  People expect the schools to do EVERTHING. Parents are too busy to bother on average to make time available for their offsprings issues. Nev

Again, you're right Nev.  No disability is impossible to overcome. 

The new way in 1965!  Far out!  It hasn't gotten any better.  

I don't think people expect schools to do everything, so much as schools have slowly taken responsibility off parents so much they have become irresponsible.  Work pressures, TV, and technology haven't helped either.   I've done my best to influence the school's P&F to correct the many glaring examples of what is basically child abuse - killing them with kindness, by giving them technology without any internet filters, and making them use tech so much they get addicted.  That's a criminal act by my reckoning.  Contributing to the delinquency of a minor.  It also destroys their mental discipline, and independence of thought.  We could have a long chat about education....

IF you are behind in Reading and Math and it's not corrected with remedial work you will be left behind more and more. Some kids have no home environment conducive to doing any extra work, Some of the stories I have been told (by them) of their home environment would literally make your hair curl. Poor bug**s have little hope. Nev

You can't believe everything they say though Nev.  Kids are masters at the art of manipulating adults, pitting mum against dad, for example...  If we could know the whole story, it probably wouldn't look so cut and dried as they make out.

I know of 2 people who were illiterate before they started flying training, both learned to read a write to do the exams. One did the old restricted licence the other went on to a commercial career. I myself left school at 16, did a trade then started flying training at 21, have been flying for a living since. Bad schooling is no excuse, if you want something bad enough then you put in the yards. The cost and availability of training is the main impediment now. In the "olden days" every airfield had a family training organisation, also there was constant GA traffic everything from charter, freight, AG and feeder airlines. Now it's very unusual to see a GA aircraft. Shortly CAA will reach it's goal of having no aircraft flying.

Some kids might, Manwell, especially if they spend a lot of time on line. this was before the net existed.. Under the circumstances I related to these kids , I'm certain they didn't make stuff up. I got sent to many schools that other teachers would not stay at  or often not even enter the classroom. So called underprivileged areas, in Western Sydney. but back a while. Nev

• Like 1

What was the question again????

And perhaps the answer????

July 19, when the original post was made seems so long ago.

Go to page 1, post 1 for the question Wirraway.  After you read the initial question, give us your best answer.

Actually , there is NO question there.  IF the forum title is the question perhaps you might make it clearer.. Sometimes if you are not getting the response you seek, you might rephrase the question. Nev

• Like 2

I can read & write,  But have "Brain freeze" when facing authority.

If no xxxx. (can't find the words).

My first time telling "out of school".

So I'll put it away. Many thanks to all.

spacesailor

Nev's right spacesailor.  That was a major challenge for me as well, and it was only after repeated exposure to the problem did I manage to control it.  In fact, there was one particular experience that probably had the most benefit in hindsight, and it wasn't pleasant at the time.  I was doing an Aerostar endorsement with an old instructor from Sydney.  He was nicknamed "squat switch" and I found out why on that flight.  As soon as we got airborne he became annoyed at everything I did, but rather than taking it personally, I simply focused on flying the aircraft smoothly and well.  By the end of the flight, I was certain I'd need hours of extra training before he'd write the endorsement, so when we got back into the old building I was prepared for the worst.  Instead, he'd transformed back into the affable charming old bloke I'd known before and floored me with his debrief - "That was one of the best performances I've seen lately." or words to that effect.  Later, I realised why he was called "squat switch", and specifically why he transformed when the wheels folded up, and back when they came back down.  He was simply doing his best to simulate the stress a pilot would feel in an emergency to see how he'd react. 

In short, the brain freeze we all experience under stress is controllable if we don't take it personally.  The Buddha said "Attachment is the root of all suffering" and that's spot on.  If we're too attached to our sense of self, or ego, under stress, or if we worry that we'll stuff up and look stupid, then we will.  That takes self-discipline, which is ONE essential quality of a Pilot in Command.  The others are consciousness and skill, but they can't be developed without self-discipline.  That just takes practice at making mistakes.  Eventually, even idjits like me can get there, so you can too if you want it bad enough.

Actually , there is NO question there.  IF the forum title is the question perhaps you might make it clearer.. Sometimes if you are not getting the response you seek, you might rephrase the question. Nev

Thanks Nev!  The topic heading, How to FLY should have a question mark after it..    What I was asking is for people to describe how to fly in as simple terms as possible.  I told ya I'm an idjit....

Thanks Manwell.

I have the problem with the learning part as well as all the other stuff, I can't seem to concentrate on the books without getting emotional.

Writing on this laptop is easier than I ever thought , just because there's no one near me. but the last time I spoke about this problem I couldn't think of the words to put onto paper !.

Missing words: 

Trepidation

Fear and fright - Macmillan Dictionary

https://www.macmillandictionary.com › thesaurus-category › british › fear..

panic. noun. a sudden strong feeling of fear or worry that makes you unable to think clearly or calmly ·

terror. noun. a strong feeling of fear · apprehension. noun.

See so dam easy from the isolation of a laptop.

My flying instructor seemed to be happy with my flying, & encouraged me to do more.

BUT

The CFI seemed to be the opposite, "I took off to quickly " I'm not holding course (crosswind deviation).

AND at the end !.

"I'm wasting my money & his time"

Not much point Spending my money on a Lost cause.

I mean I only started in 1952, Air Training Corp, & was stopped when the V-bomber exploded at my first"air-show". I posted a picture of me watching the disaster.

spacesailor

• Like 2

spacesailor, that would be difficult to overcome, no doubt about that, but there's no way anyone could accept you're a lost cause unless you did first.  

I wasn't even born in 1952, but I won't patronize you with any sympathy either.  It really doesn't matter how many times you've failed, only whether you've kept on trying, and what's more, that's all anyone really expects of us.  

Do you know the RAF/RAAF motto?   Per Ardua Ad Astra.  Through Adversity To The Stars.  The funny thing about it is that most people in the RAF or RAAF don't have the faintest idea what it really means.  Can you work it out? 

Take your time.  It only took me about 30 years.

• 5 weeks later...
Go to page 1, post 1 for the question Wirraway.  After you read the initial question, give us your best answer.

Well, as others have said, there is no question in the original post. ☮️

I thought the point of the thread was to see how many tangents can be wrought in one thread!!!  ?

But if you were to ask me how to fly..........I've noted 4 elements.

A dream, an ambition.

A few decades of patience while one creates......

A fat wallet.

Toss in some hard work and determination.

That's my story.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1