HOW TO FLY - No Really!

Aren't WE involved to develop the ART and skill of designing, building and flying aircraft?  Who wants to just press buttons and hope the" GAME over" popup doesn't appear.? Nev

Me.

I love catching buses and trains to enjoy the ride and actually look at things, or close my eyes for a moment, or look at messages, etc.

I don't think there's a big conflict, IF these ever fly, they will be within city areas you can't fly your light plane now anyway.

• Like 1

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The era of those magnificent men in their flying machines is reaching its sunset phase."

With lots of help from our-lord bureaucracy.

With help from them, the day of recreational aviation itself, is doomed.

spacesailor

BS

• Agree 2

I'm for progress and the old INFERNAL combustion reciprocating engine (not the same one each time) has tried many times to kill me, so the novelty of the challenge wears off eventually. jets are better but electric looks more practical for us.  Currently the pilot in Command is responsible for the condition, loading and safety of the flying machine for each separate flight stage. I wonder HOW the ASIC aspect  will be covered? It's just perfect as a bomb platform/vehicle No "security people" areas  and it's over populous areas and into BIG airports. On that basis alone I can't see it happening and IF it does  get rid of OUR ASIC .    .Nev

BS

I call BS on your BS......all recreational activities in this country are in decline due to over regulation. They only still exist for those that can afford them and will do what they're told and when.

Your favourite word "COMPLIANCE" is all the go. They just tell us we're free, to do what we want as long as it complies with the short list of things you're allowed to do. Then you can always get training so that you're allowed to do more things in accordance with their rules. That's not freedom, no matter which way you look at it.

Then they wonder why it's all in decline.  

Before you suggest that RA is booming, just remember that a significant portion of our member numbers and flying hours belongs to overseas students starting their CPL training on the cheap, it's not recreational. It's industry.

• Like 1

I call BS on your BS......all recreational activities in this country are in decline due to over regulation. They only still exist for those that can afford them and will do what they're told and when.

Your favourite word "COMPLIANCE" is all the go. They just tell us we're free, to do what we want as long as it complies with the short list of things you're allowed to do. Then you can always get training so that you're allowed to do more things in accordance with their rules. That's not freedom, no matter which way you look at it.

Then they wonder why it's all in decline.  

Before you suggest that RA is booming, just remember that a significant portion of our member numbers and flying hours belongs to overseas students starting their CPL training on the cheap, it's not recreational. It's industry.

Well RAA has gone from 10,000 to 13,000 members, the aircraft are highly visible at airfields and if you look at the whining on this site, it's coming from the same ones over and over again rather than the few thousand you might expect if there was drama and decline.

• Agree 1

Well RAA has gone from 10,000 to 13,000 members, the aircraft are highly visible at airfields and if you look at the whining on this site, it's coming from the same ones over and over again rather than the few thousand you might expect if there was drama and decline.

As usual you've completely missed the point. Yes we have heaps of members doing exactly what they are told and when just so that they can aviate. Basically we're just taking the crumbs we're offered and expected to be thankful,  also, many of those members you just mentioned are not actually recreational aviators, they are RPT/CPL in training. 

As usual you've completely missed the point. Yes we have heaps of members doing exactly what they are told and when just so that they can aviate. Basically we're just taking the crumbs we're offered and expected to be thankful,  also, many of those members you just mentioned are not actually recreational aviators, they are RPT/CPL in training. 

Well I don’t think the rules are all going to be cancelled for someone at a Queensland country airfield.

Well I don’t think the rules are all going to be cancelled for someone at a Queensland country airfield.

I'm not suggesting they should be. All I'm saying is that as usual here in Australia, the rules are far more restrictive than need be (and getting worse), for no actual benefit (unless your business is safety , quality or training) and all the while they would have you believe they're doing YOU a favour.

• Like 1

I'm not suggesting they should be. All I'm saying is that as usual here in Australia, the rules are far more restrictive than need be (and getting worse), for no actual benefit (unless your business is safety , quality or training) and all the while they would have you believe they're doing YOU a favour.

If that’s the case that’s not what we were talking about.

I've had it with "safety". Nobody has ever died at Gawler despite operating 7 days a week for more than 50 years.

There is so much safety nonsense around these days. My new angle-grinder has a tricky "safety" switch which is darn dangerous. I am theoretically limited in what I can do with my own property for "safety" reasons. I think that it is illegal to fix a mains switch these days, unless you are a registered electrician. There are now more safety people in the workforce than there are manufacturing workers.

Correction: Somebody did die at Gawler, on the ground, for age and medical reasons. This guy ( an ex Mig pilot ) actually had a current GA medical clearance. 

If that’s the case that’s not what we were talking about.

Sounds exactly like what Space Sailor was getting at. Some have called it “ mission creep” on the safety / regulator part, but I heard the correct term for it a few months ago, and that is “ bureaucratic inertia “. Sooner or later it will become so big it can’t support itself, much like the parasite that eventually kills the host, and effectively kills itself in doing so. 

The world has seen this before. China, a thousand years ago, was the world's superpower. They had gunpowder, rockets, kites and noodles to name a few things. Gosh they were close to flying.

Alas, they also had bureaucracy. Now the only product of bureaucracy is poverty, and that's what slowly happened in China.

They eventually became a failed state and were easy pickings. Now things have changed, and their bureaucracy is far better than ours is. In China, they try and help you succeed while here they try to send you broke. Check with Bexrbetter and Jabiru if you find this hard to believe.

I also reckon that bureacracy is strangling Europe and the poms would be better off on the outside as long as they don't also follow the bureaucratic strangling pathway.

I believe CHINA is building a special form of HELL for it's people and maybe the rest of us as well. Total Control of everyone. George Orwell would be confirmed as the ultimate Prophet .

OFF TOPIC is pretty much open slather isn't it. or is it "OFF" topics like really BAD stuff? Nev

Some years ago, I would have believed that China was real bad. Now I am not sure that the reports have been fair. I remember being astonished at their wheelchair athletes and how they had obviously been doing stuff all their lives. Before seeing them at the Olympics, I thought that they would have suffered in poverty. The whole thing  made me wonder about how accurate the reporting really had been.

One (large) school had 88 dropouts in a year (if reported correctly). " On the figures in the article 88 people signed up to the full course (funded) and didn’t finish. I know this club has some success stories (even on this forum) but 88 people is a lot of people and a lot of money to pay back without a qualification."

It seems a lot, SO how many nationally, 

A tenth or more, That didn't get their licence Or RAA certificate.

spacesailor

Don't take it too hard ss, the Military have a 60% wash-out rate for Pilot Training.  Since WWI until I left the business in 2005 it has consistently been 60%.

It was a similar story with the PNGDF, so I suspect that its global thing.

So Yes, it "is a lot of people".

I believe CHINA is building a special form of HELL for it's people and maybe the rest of us as well. Total Control of everyone.

I'd like to respons Nev, but alas, I've been arrested and shot again.

I'd just bought a brand new shirt too, now it's got holes in it. Hope the blood washes out.

Some years ago, I would have believed that China was real bad.

That's the saddest part of all of it, the bollshot the Government has been driving you to believe all your life.

Just spent 3 days with 4 American here for the first time, they were stunned their 'known facts' about China didn't quite fit in with the actual country they were now in, quite confusing for them, especially how happy everybody is ... it's just not right damn it!!

• Like 1