HOW TO FLY - No Really!

To kick off as quizmaster, I'm starting with something easy, or so it would seem...  

Without going into long explanations, aerodynamics, or anything fancy, post answers below in one sentence.  The shortest correct answer wins.

The more you know about flying, the harder it is to describe it simply, at least until you know everything.  Then it's easy.

Eagle.jpg.5c77f71c96919f69169973ba77717acd.jpg

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attach lawnchair to multiple tethered helium weather balloons, sit in chair, then release tether. 

Well, it worked just fine for Larry Walters, he got to over 15,000 feet, with no trouble at all. Well, not until he came down, anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawnchair_Larry_flight

• Like 1

Do something that makes lift exceed gravity......

Lift only exceeds gravity during a zoom climb, and not for long M61.  Good try though.     Have another try everyone, the only one who's even close is Thruster88.   No-one else is even trying.   

Knowing how to fly will save your life one day, so it's definitely worth knowing.  

If that is a bit esoteric, anything travelling at more than 8km/s at the surface of the earth and not actually aimed at the earth ... is falling up and will continue to do so unless it slows down or hits something. It's called the escape velocity

• Like 1

Manwell,

you are up against it here. 

Your question is ridiculously vague  and you specifically removed any analysis of science and that invites sarcasm, humour or possibly an answer as if it were a cryptic crossword clue.  

If you expected a reasoned response your questions are going to need to take account of your audience. 

If you want something a little more thoughtful on learning to fly hers my view as a former instructor. 

You start to learn to fly when you suddenly realise   you’ve been doing your best to kill yourself and have only survived due to the instructor.

• Like 2

Manwell,

you are up against it here. 

Your question is ridiculously vague  and you specifically removed any analysis of science and that invites sarcasm, humour or possibly an answer as if it were a cryptic crossword clue.  

If you expected a reasoned response your questions are going to need to take account of your audience. 

If you want something a little more thoughtful on learning to fly hers my view as a former instructor. 

You start to learn to fly when you suddenly realise   you’ve been doing your best to kill yourself and have only survived due to the instructor.

.....or you've only done your best to kill yourself because of your instructor's best efforts...

Kasper, I can see this is going to be more difficult than I'd hoped, but hey, who said it was going to be easy?  The intention is to stimulate thought, and the idea is for the level of thinking to rise eventually, much like the process of teaching someone to fly.  They begin with the mindset of an earth bound mortal, so it takes time to develop the attitude and will-power to transform into a Pilot in Command.   Is that a subtle clue?

You fly like a bird, without reliance on instruments or windsocks because because we can sense, hear, observe. 

Congratulations Thruster, that's the best answer so far!  The only criticism I can think of is that we aren't birds and can never really fly like one, but that still shouldn't stop us from knowing how to fly like an Air-man.

Yes.  I was.   And I'm not from Spain.  I earned that nickname for making a dumb comment once.  I also look a bit like him.  

Did you deliberately spell Manuel wrong too?

Yep.  I figured if they were going to call me Manwell, I owed it to them to play the part to the hilt.   What did you do to deserve M61A1 as a nickname?  ?

• Like 1

What did you do to deserve M61A1 as a nickname?

It was self chosen as a last ditch effort to find a user name (different website) that wasn't already in use. Can I assume you know what it is? I also used to work with them.